Jerry W. Shay Professor
The University of Texas at Austin, BA, Zoology/ Cell Biology, 1966
The University of Kansas at Lawrence, MA, Cell Biol. & Physiol.Mol. Cell., 1968
The University of Colorado at Boulder, PhD, Develop. Biology, 1972-1975
POSITIONS AND EMPLOYMENT
1975-1993 Assistant/Associate Professor, Department of Cell Biology/Neuroscience, UT Southwestern
1993- Professor, Department of Cell Biology, UT Southwestern, Southland Financial Corporation Distinguished Chair in Geriatric Research
2002- Associate Director, Education and Training, UT Southwestern Harold Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center
1990-1994 Member, NIH Study Section on Mammalian Genetics
1995-1997 Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation Research Grant Committee
1996- present Mary Kay Ash Foundation, Chairman, Scientific Review Committee
SCIENTIFIC ADVISORY BOARDS/CONSULTATIONS
2002- present Reata Pharmaceutical, Dallas, TX (SAB)
2012- present KAU University, Center for Excellence in Medical Genetics Research, Jeddah Saudi Arabia (Chair, SAB)
In Vitro, Cellular and Developmental Biology; Methods in Cell Science; Differentiation; International Journal of Molecular Medicine and Oncology; Experimental Gerontology; Antiaging Research; Mechanisms of Aging and Development: Aging Research Reviews; J. Clinical Pathology; Neoplasia; J. National Cancer Institute; Clinical Cancer Research; J. Regenerative Medicine.
1978-1983 NIH Research Career Development Award
1995-1997 AlliedSignal Award for Research on Aging
1997 Institute for Scientific Research - Most highly cited researchers
1996-2003 Ellison Medical Foundation Senior Scholar
2001 American Aging Association, Hayflick Award
2005-2008 Ted Nash Award
CURRENT INTERNAL COMMITTEES
1996- Senior Leadership Committee UT Southwestern Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center
1997-present Executive Committee UTSW/MD Anderson Lung Cancer SPORE
#5,489,508 Issue date: 02/06/96
"Therapy and Diagnosis of Conditions Related to Telomere Length and/or Telomerase Activity"
#5,639,613 Issue data: 06/17/97
"Methods for Cancer Diagnosis and Prognosis"
#5,645,986 Issue date: 07/08/97
"Telomerase Activity Inhibitor Screening"
#5,648,215 Issue date: 07/15/97
"Telomerase Diagnostic Methods"
#5,686,245 Issue date: 11/11/97
"Screening for Agents that Modulate Telomere Length"
#5,686,306 Issue date: 11/11/97
"Methods and Reagents for Lengthening Telomeres"
#5,693,474 Issue date: 12/2/97
"Methods for Cancer Diagnosis and Prognosis"
#5,695,932 Issue date: 12/9/97
"Telomerase Activity Assays for Diagnosing Pathogenic Infections and Identifying Pathogen Telomerase Inhibitors"
#5,707,795 Issue date: 1/13/98
"Diagnosis of Conditions Related to Telomere Length"
#5,830,644 Issue date: 11/3/98
"Method for Screening for Agents which Increase Telomerase Activity in a Cell"
|Graduate School||University of Texas at Austin (1968)|
|Graduate School||University of Kansas Main Campus (1972)|
- Cancer stem cells
- Cell Biology of the cancer genome
- Mechanisms of cellular immortalization
- Mouse models of radiation-induced cancer
- Role of telomeres and telomerase in cancer and aging
- Functional parsing of driver mutations in the colorectal cancer genome reveals numerous suppressors of anchorage-independent growth.
- Eskiocak U, Kim SB, Ly P, Roig AI, Biglione S, Komurov K, Cornelius C, Wright WE, White MA, Shay JW Cancer Res. 2011 Jul 71 13 4359-65
- Telomere position effect in human cells.
- Baur, J.A., Shay, J.W. and Wright, W.E. Science 2001 292 2075-2077
- Lack of cancer-associated changes in human fibroblasts after immortalization with telomerase.
- Morales, C.P., Holt, S.E., Ouelette, M., Kaur, K.J., Wilson, K.S., White, M.A., Wright, W.E., and Shay, J.W, Nature Genetics 1999 21 115-118
- Extension of lifespan by introduction of telomerase in normal human cells.
- Bodnar, A.G., Ouellete, M., Frolkis, M., Holt, S.E., Chiu, C.P., Morin, G.B., Harley, C.B., Shay, J.W., Lichtsteiner, S., and Wright, W.E. Science 1998 279 349-352
- Correlating telomerase activity levels with human neuroblastoma outcomes.
- Hiyama, E., Hiyama, K., Yokoyama, T., Matsuura, Y., Piatyszek, M.A., Shay, J.W. Nature Medicine 1995 1 249-357
- Specific association of human telomerase activity with immortal cells and cancer.
- Kim, N.W., Piatyszek, M.A., Prowse, K.R., Harley, C.B., West, M.D., Ho, P.L.C., Coviello, G.M., Wright, W.E., Weinrich, S.L., Shay, J.W. Science 1994 266 2011-2015
- Two and three dimensional models for risk assessment of radiation-enhanced colorectal turmorigenesis
- Roig, A. I. , Hight, S.K., and Shay, J.W. Radiation Research Fall 2008 in press
- Actions of human telomerase beyond telomeres
- Y-S Cong, J.W. Shay Cell Research Spring 2008 18 725-732
- Adult-onset pulmonary fibrosis caused by mutations in telomerase
- Tsakiri, K.D., Cronkite, J.T., Kuan, P.J. Xing, C., Ganesh, R., Weissler, J.C., Rosenblatt, R.L. Shay, J.W. Garcia, C.K PNAS Spring 2007 104 7552-7557
Honors & Awards
- Univeristy of Texas Health Science Education
Elected Member (2012)
- University of Texas Regent's Outstanding Teaching Award
- Doctor of the Decade (1995-2005)
Ranked 6th Most Cited Author in General Biomedical Sicence (2006)
- Ted Nash Award
Aging Research (2006)
- Hayflick Award
American Aging Association (2001)
- Southland Financial Corporation
Distinguished Chair in Geriatric Research (2001)
- Ellison Medical Foundation
Senior Scholar Award (1999)