Dr. Shaul received his B.A. from Dartmouth College and his M.D. from the University of Cincinnati. He received residency training in pediatrics at the Children's Medical Center of Cincinnati/University of Cincinnati followed by fellowship training in neonatal-perinatal medicine at Women and Infant's Hospital of Rhode Island/Brown University.
He joined the faculty of the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in 1986, and is currently Professor of Pediatrics and holder of the Associates First Capitol Corporation Distinguished Chair in Pediatrics at UT Southwestern. He is the Director of the Center for Pulmonary and Vascular Biology and Vice Chair for Research in the Department of Pediatrics, and a member of the Integrative Biology Graduate Program in the Division of Basic Science. Dr. Shaul was President of the Society for Pediatric Research in 2005-2006.
- Medical School
- University of Cincinnati College of Medicine (1981)
- Children's Hospital Medical Center -Cincinnati (1984), Pediatrics
- Brown University/Medical School (1986), Neonatal-perinatal Medicine
- apolipoprotein E receptor 2 (LRP8)
- Caveolae, lipid rafts
- Fc receptors and cardiometabolic disorders
- Membrane-associated estrogen receptors
- Nitric oxide synthase
- Scavenger receptor class B, type I (HDL receptor)
- Vascular basis of type 2 diabetes
- 27-Hydroxycholesterol Promotes Cell-Autonomous, ER-Positive Breast Cancer Growth.
- Wu Q, Ishikawa T, Sirianni R, Tang H, McDonald JG, Yuhanna IS, Thompson B, Girard L, Mineo C, Brekken RA, Umetani M, Euhus DM, Xie Y, Shaul PW Cell Rep 2013 Nov 5 3 637-45
- LXRß/estrogen receptor-a signaling in lipid rafts preserves endothelial integrity.
- Ishikawa T, Yuhanna IS, Umetani J, Lee WR, Korach KS, Shaul PW, Umetani M J. Clin. Invest. 2013 Jul
- Scavenger receptor class B type I is a plasma membrane cholesterol sensor.
- Saddar S, Carriere V, Lee WR, Tanigaki K, Yuhanna IS, Parathath S, Morel E, Warrier M, Sawyer JK, Gerard RD, Temel RE, Brown JM, Connelly M, Mineo C, Shaul PW Circ. Res. 2013 Jan 112 1 140-51
- Point mutations in the ERa Gai binding domain segregate nonnuclear from nuclear receptor function.
- Wu Q, Chambliss K, Lee WR, Yuhanna IS, Mineo C, Shaul PW Mol. Endocrinol. 2013 Jan 27 1 2-11
- Coupling of Fc? receptor I to Fc? receptor IIb by SRC kinase mediates C-reactive protein impairment of endothelial function.
- Sundgren NC, Zhu W, Yuhanna IS, Chambliss KL, Ahmed M, Tanigaki K, Umetani M, Mineo C, Shaul PW Circ. Res. 2011 Oct 109 10 1132-40
- Antiphospholipid antibodies promote leukocyte-endothelial cell adhesion and thrombosis in mice by antagonizing eNOS via ß2GPI and apoER2.
- Ramesh S, Morrell CN, Tarango C, Thomas GD, Yuhanna IS, Girardi G, Herz J, Urbanus RT, de Groot PG, Thorpe PE, Salmon JE, Shaul PW, Mineo C J. Clin. Invest. 2011 Jan 121 1 120-31
- Non-nuclear estrogen receptor alpha signaling promotes cardiovascular protection but not uterine or breast cancer growth in mice.
- Chambliss KL, Wu Q, Oltmann S, Konaniah ES, Umetani M, Korach KS, Thomas GD, Mineo C, Yuhanna IS, Kim SH, Madak-Erdogan Z, Maggi A, Dineen SP, Roland CL, Hui DY, Brekken RA, Katzenellenbogen JA, Katzenellenbogen BS, Shaul PW J. Clin. Invest. 2010 Jul 120 7 2319-30
- C-reactive protein inhibits insulin activation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase via the immunoreceptor tyrosine-based inhibition motif of FcgammaRIIB and SHIP-1.
- Tanigaki K, Mineo C, Yuhanna IS, Chambliss KL, Quon MJ, Bonvini E, Shaul PW Circ. Res. 2009 Jun 104 11 1275-82
- The scavenger receptor class B type I adaptor protein PDZK1 maintains endothelial monolayer integrity.
- Zhu W, Saddar S, Seetharam D, Chambliss KL, Longoria C, Silver DL, Yuhanna IS, Shaul PW, Mineo C Circ. Res. 2008 Feb 102 4 480-7
- 27-Hydroxycholesterol is an endogenous SERM that inhibits the cardiovascular effects of estrogen.
- Umetani M, Domoto H, Gormley AK, Yuhanna IS, Cummins CL, Javitt NB, Korach KS, Shaul PW, Mangelsdorf DJ Nat. Med. 2007 Oct 13 10 1185-92
Physiology of Nitric Oxide in the Developing Lung. In Polin RA, Fox WW, Abman SH, eds. Fetal and Neonatal Physiology. 4th ed.
Kinsella JP, Shaul PW. (2011). Philadelphia: Elsevier Saunders; 807-820.
Pulmonary Hypertension Syndromes. In Levin DL, Morriss FC, eds. Essentials of Pediatric Intensive Care. Vol 2.
Zellers TM, Shaul PW. (1997). Churchill Livingstone; 188-195.
Regulation of eNOS in Caveolae. In Jasmin J, Frank P, Lisanti MP, eds. Caveolins and Caveolae: Roles in Signaling and Disease Mechanisms.
Mineo C, Shaul PW. (2012.). New York: Springer; 51-62.
Caveolae and Estrogen Receptor Signaling. In Lisanti ML, Frank PG, eds. Advances in Molecular and Cell Biology Series. Vol 36.
Shaul PW, Chambliss KL. (2005). Elsevier; 109-123.
Regulation of Endothelial NO Synthase Activity by Estrogen Receptors in a Steroid Receptor Fast-Action Complex (SRFC) In Caveolae. In Watson CS, ed. The Identities of Membrane Steroid Receptors.
Shaul PW, Chambliss KL, Mineo C. (2003). Norwell, MA: Kluwer Academic Publishers; 27-36.
Honors & Awards
- Association of American Physicians
- Associates First Capitol Corporation Distinguished Chair in Pediatrics
- Hall of Honor, Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
- President, Society for Pediatric Research
- Codirector, Crystal Charity Ball Center for Research in Pediatric Critical Care
- Lowe Foundation Professorship in Pediatric Critical Care Research
- Established Investigator Award, AHA
- Association of American Physicians (2013)
- American Pediatric Society (2003)
- American Society for Clinical Investigation (1999)
- The American Physiological Society (1999)
- Perinatal Research Society (1992-2013)
- Society for Pediatric Research (1990)
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Fellow (1987)
- Dallas County Medical Society (1987)