Dr. Mohammad Tarique Hussain graduated from Queens’ College, University of Cambridge (UK) where he was elected as a Queens’ college scholar for his academic achievements. He undertook cardiology fellowships at Birmingham Children’s Hospital (UK) and the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Glasgow (UK). He further underwent advanced cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and cardiac computed tomography training (CT) at King’s College London, where he completed his doctoral degree (PhD) in Imaging Sciences. His thesis was on the subject of magnetic resonance imaging in pediatric coronary vasculopathy with a special focus on post-transplant coronary vasculopathy and aortic correlates of coronary disease.
Since then, Dr. Hussain continued to work as an academic senior lecturer and staff pediatric cardiologist with an interest in clinical cardiac imaging (including X-ray angiography; MRI, CT and echocardiography). During this time he has been prolific in his research work and has been internationally acclaimed for his use of cutting edge technology to improve the healthcare of children (e.g. BBC Breakfast, BBC News online, Telegraph).
Dr. Hussain moved to UT Southwestern in 2015 to take up the position of director of congenital cardiac magnetic resonance imaging at Children's Medical Center. His current research interests are in congenital heart disease, heart transplantation and cardiomyopathies.
- Medical School
- University of Cambridge (1999), Medicine
- University of Cambridge (2001), General Surgery
- Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health (2003), Pediatrics
- Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children (2003), Pediatric Cardiology
- Glenfield Hospital (2006), Pediatric Cardiology
- Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health (2006), Pediatrics
- Royal Hospital for Sick Children (2008), Pediatric Cardiology
- Assessment of ventriculo-arterial coupling in congenital and acquired heart disease
- Cardiac MRI for improved vascular imaging
- Implementation of new cardiac imaging technologies to improve patient care and well-being
- Use of 3D printing techniques in pediatric cardiology
- Pressure-volume loop-derived cardiac indices during dobutamine stress: a step towards understanding limitations in cardiac output in children with hypoplastic left heart syndrome.
- Wong J, Pushparajah K, de Vecchi A, Ruijsink B, Greil GF, Hussain T, Razavi R Int. J. Cardiol. 2017 Mar 230 439-446
- Cardiac magnetic resonance feature tracking in Kawasaki disease convalescence.
- Bratis K, Hachmann P, Child N, Krasemann T, Hussain T, Mavrogeni S, Botnar R, Razavi R, Greil G Ann Pediatr Cardiol 2017 Jan-Apr 10 1 18-25
- Right ventricular morphology and function following stage I palliation with a modified Blalock-Taussig shunt versus a right ventricle-to-pulmonary artery conduit.
- Wong J, Lamata P, Rathod RH, Bertaud S, Dedieu N, Bellsham-Revell H, Pushparajah K, Razavi R, Hussain T, Schaeffter T, Powell AJ, Geva T, Greil GF Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2017 Jan 51 1 50-57
- NT-proBNP as Marker of Ventricular Dilatation and Pulmonary Regurgitation After Surgical Correction of Tetralogy of Fallot: A MRI Validation Study.
- Paolino A, Hussain T, Pavon A, Velasco MN, Uribe S, Ordoñez A, Valverde I Pediatr Cardiol 2016 Nov
- A clinical combined gadobutrol bolus and slow infusion protocol enabling angiography, inversion recovery whole heart, and late gadolinium enhancement imaging in a single study.
- Tandon A, James L, Henningsson M, Botnar RM, Potersnak A, Greil GF, Hussain T J Cardiovasc Magn Reson 2016 Oct 18 1 66
- Second stage of hybrid pathway: Have we reached a conclusion?
- Nassar MS, Anderson D, Hussain T J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg. 2016 Oct 152 4 1205-6
- Use of a semi-automated cardiac segmentation tool improves reproducibility and speed of segmentation of contaminated right heart magnetic resonance angiography.
- Tandon A, Byrne N, Nieves Velasco Forte ML, Zhang S, Dyer AK, Dillenbeck JM, Greil GF, Hussain T Int J Cardiovasc Imaging 2016 May
- A systematic review of image segmentation methodology, used in the additive manufacture of patient-specific 3D printed models of the cardiovascular system.
- Byrne N, Velasco Forte M, Tandon A, Valverde I, Hussain T JRSM Cardiovasc Dis 2016 Jan-Dec 5 2048004016645467
- Whole-heart coronary MR angiography using image-based navigation for the detection of coronary anomalies in adult patients with congenital heart disease.
- Henningsson M, Hussain T, Vieira MS, Greil GF, Smink J, Ensbergen GV, Beck G, Botnar RM J Magn Reson Imaging 2015 Oct
- Chronic Occlusion of the Superior Vena Cava Resulting in Cyanosis in an Adult: Unusual Case Highlighting the Value of Collaboration Between Adult and Congenital Cardiology Services.
- Rafiq I, Morgan G, Silva Vieira M, Qureshi S, Hussain T Circ Cardiovasc Interv 2015 Sep 8 9 e002163
Interventional Magnetic Resonance Imaging. In Plein S, Greenwood J, Ridgway J. eds. Cardiovascular MR Manual.
Hussain T, Rhode K, Greil GF. (2011). London: Springer-Verlay.
MRI Guidance of Cardiac Applications. In Kahn T, Busse H. eds. Interventional Magnetic Resonance Imaging.
Hussain T, Valverde I, Razavi R, Schaeffter T. (2012). Springer
Kirk R, Dipchand A, Rosenthal D, Kirklin J, eds. ISHLT Guidelines for the Management of Pediatric Heart Failure (ISHLT MONOGRAPH SERIES Book 8).
Hussain T (Contributing author for the Imaging Section) (2014).
Honors & Awards
- Magna cum Laude Award
International Society for Magenetic Resonanace in Medicine, International Meeting (2012)
- Madeleine Steel Foundation Fellowship Award
- Queen's College Scholar
Queen's College, University of Cambridge (1997)
- Quality and Safety Improvement Award
Guy's & St. Thomas' NHS Trust
- Member, SCMR Working Group, Pediatric Cardiology (2013)
- Member, Society of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance (SCMR) (2008)
- Member, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons (MRCPS, Glasgow) (2007)
- Member, British Congenital Cardiac Association (2006)