Born and raised in Dallas, Dr. Joshi received his medical degree at Texas Tech University before venturing out of Texas to complete his Internal Medicine residency training at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia, where he discovered his passion for cardiology, and preventive cardiology in particular. He went on to train in general and preventive cardiology at the Johns Hopkins School of
Medicine in Baltimore, Maryland prior to returning home to Dallas to join the faculty at UT Southwestern. His research interests in preventive cardiology have led to national recognition spanning a broad range of topics including cardiovascular imaging, risk assessment, cholesterol disorders, and prevention of heart disease. His clinical expertise reflects his interests in prevention, cardiac testing, and general cardiology. Outside of medicine, he enjoys spending time with his family, playing golf, and playing the guitar.
- Medical School
- Texas Tech University Health Science Center (2006)
- Emory University School of Medicine (2009), Internal Medicine
- Piedmont Heart Institute (2011), Preventive Medicine
- Graduate School
- Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (2014)
- Johns Hopkins School of Medicine (2015), Cardiology
- Assessing risk for heart attack and stroke
- Coronary Calcium Scoring
- Coronary CT Angiography
- SCCT curriculum guidelines for general (level 1) cardiovascular CT training.
- Maroules CD, Cheezum MK, Joshi PH, Williams M, Simprini LA, Nelson KH, Bittencourt MS, Carr JJ, Weigold WG, Cury RC, Blankstein R, Abbara S J Cardiovasc Comput Tomogr 2015 Mar-Apr 9 2 81-8
- HDL cholesterol subclasses, myocardial infarction, and mortality in secondary prevention: the Lipoprotein Investigators Collaborative.
- Martin SS, Khokhar AA, May HT, Kulkarni KR, Blaha MJ, Joshi PH, Toth PP, Muhlestein JB, Anderson JL, Knight S, Li Y, Spertus JA, Jones SR Eur. Heart J. 2015 Jan 36 1 22-30
- Non-high-density lipoprotein cholesterol, guideline targets, and population percentiles for secondary prevention in 1.3 million adults: the VLDL-2 study (very large database of lipids).
- Elshazly MB, Martin SS, Blaha MJ, Joshi PH, Toth PP, McEvoy JW, Al-Hijji MA, Kulkarni KR, Kwiterovich PO, Blumenthal RS, Jones SR J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2013 Nov 62 21 1960-5
- Friedewald-estimated versus directly measured low-density lipoprotein cholesterol and treatment implications.
- Martin SS, Blaha MJ, Elshazly MB, Brinton EA, Toth PP, McEvoy JW, Joshi PH, Kulkarni KR, Mize PD, Kwiterovich PO, Defilippis AP, Blumenthal RS, Jones SR J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2013 Aug 62 8 732-9
- A peripheral blood gene expression score is associated with plaque volume and phenotype by intravascular ultrasound with radiofrequency backscatter analysis: results from the ATLANTA study.
- Joshi PH, Rinehart S, Vazquez G, Qian Z, Sharma A, Anderson H, Murrieta L, Flockhart N, Karmpaliotis D, Kalynych A, Asztalos B, Elashoff MR, Blanchard J, Rosenberg S, Brown C, Voros S Cardiovasc Diagn Ther 2013 Mar 3 1 5-14
- The M235T single nucleotide polymorphism in the angiotensinogen gene is associated with coronary artery calcium in patients with a family history of coronary artery disease.
- Joshi PH, Xu H, Lestrange R, Flockhart N, Kirkland B, Vazquez G, Qian Z, Sharma A, Marvasty I, Bhatt K, Brown C, Rinehart S, Miller J, Voros S Atherosclerosis 2013 Feb 226 2 433-9
- What is the role of calcium scoring in the age of coronary computed tomographic angiography?
- Joshi PH, Blaha MJ, Blumenthal RS, Blankstein R, Nasir K J Nucl Cardiol 2012 Dec 19 6 1226-35
- A point-by-point response to recent arguments against the use of statins in primary prevention: this statement is endorsed by the American Society for Preventive Cardiology.
- Joshi PH, Chaudhari S, Blaha MJ, Jones SR, Martin SS, Post WS, Cannon CP, Fonarow GC, Wong ND, Amsterdam E, Hirshfeld JW, Blumenthal RS Clin Cardiol 2012 35 7 404-9
- Coronary atherosclerosis imaging by coronary CT angiography: current status, correlation with intravascular interrogation and meta-analysis.
- Voros S, Rinehart S, Qian Z, Joshi P, Vazquez G, Fischer C, Belur P, Hulten E, Villines TC JACC Cardiovasc Imaging 2011 May 4 5 537-48
Statin Therapy: Impact on Dyslipidemia and Cardiovascular Events in Diabetic Patients. In Lipoproteins in Diabetes Mellitus
Martin SS, Joshi PH, Jones Sr (2014). Springer-Humana
Section 1: Cardiology; Chapter 3: Lipid Disorders. In The Johns Hopkins Internal Medicine Board Review, 5th Edition
Keramati AR, AbdTT, Blumental RS, Joshi PH, Stone NJ (2015). Elsevier
Lipids. In Aronow - Translational Research in Coronary Artery Disease
Martin SS, Michos ED, Joshi PH (2015). Elsevier
Honors & Awards
- AHA Elizabeth Barrett-Connor Research Award Finalist
Young Investigator's Award at the American Heart Association Annual Meeting (2014)
- Best Fellow's Abstract
American College of Cardiology Annual Meeting (2014)
- "Up & Coming Cardiologists"
Cardiosource WorldNews Feature (2013)
- Best Overall Abstract
American College of Cardiology Annual Meeting (2013)
- Inaugural Pollin Fellow in Cardiovascular Prevention
Johns Hopkins Ciccarone Center for the Prevention of Heart Disease (2013-2015)
- American College of Cardiology (2015)
- American College of Physicians (2015)
- American Heart Association (2015)
- Fellows Advisory Board - Cardiology Today publication (2014-2015)
- Vice-Chair, National Fellows Committee (2014-2015)