- Medical School
- Beijing Medical University (2001)
- Graduate School
- Wesleyan University (2008), Biology
- Postdoctoral Fellowship
- University of Connecticut Health Center (2010), Neuroscience
- Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine (2014), Anatomic/neuropathology
- Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine (2015), Surgical Pathology
- Neuromuscular disease
- Tumor ischemia and radio-resistance
- Radiation Therapy for Residual or Recurrent Atypical Meningioma: The Effects of Modality, Timing, and Tumor Pathology on Long-Term Outcomes.
- Sun SQ, Cai C, Murphy RK, DeWees T, Dacey RG, Grubb RL, Rich KM, Zipfel GJ, Dowling JL, Leuthardt EC, Simpson JR, Robinson CG, Chicoine MR, Perrin RJ, Huang J, Kim AH Neurosurgery 2015 Nov
- Simpson Grade I-III Resection of Spinal Atypical (World Health Organization Grade II) Meningiomas is Associated With Symptom Resolution and Low Recurrence.
- Sun SQ, Cai C, Ravindra VM, Gamble P, Yarbrough CK, Dacey RG, Dowling JL, Zipfel GJ, Wright NM, Santiago P, Robinson CG, Schmidt MH, Kim AH, Ray WZ Neurosurgery 2015 Jun 76 6 739-46
- Posterior fossa tumor with distinct choroid plexus papilloma and ependymoma components.
- Cai C, Stephens BH, Leonard JR, Dahiya S Clin. Neuropathol. 2015 May 34 3 132-5
- Regional ischemic immune myopathy: a paraneoplastic dermatomyopathy.
- Cai C, Alshehri A, Choksi R, Pestronk A J. Neuropathol. Exp. Neurol. 2014 Dec 73 12 1126-33
- Management of atypical cranial meningiomas, part 2: predictors of progression and the role of adjuvant radiation after subtotal resection.
- Sun SQ, Cai C, Murphy RK, DeWees T, Dacey RG, Grubb RL, Rich KM, Zipfel GJ, Dowling JL, Leuthardt EC, Leonard JR, Evans J, Simpson JR, Robinson CG, Perrin RJ, Huang J, Chicoine MR, Kim AH Neurosurgery 2014 Oct 75 4 356-63; discussion 363
- Management of atypical cranial meningiomas, part 1: predictors of recurrence and the role of adjuvant radiation after gross total resection.
- Sun SQ, Kim AH, Cai C, Murphy RK, DeWees T, Sylvester P, Dacey RG, Grubb RL, Rich KM, Zipfel GJ, Dowling JL, Leuthardt EC, Leonard JR, Evans J, Simpson JR, Robinson CG, Perrin RJ, Huang J, Chicoine MR Neurosurgery 2014 Oct 75 4 347-54; discussion 354-5; quiz 355
- Fatal human herpesvirus 6-associated encephalitis in two boys with underlying POLG mitochondrial disorders.
- Al-Zubeidi D, Thangarajh M, Pathak S, Cai C, Schlaggar BL, Storch GA, Grange DK, Watson ME Pediatr. Neurol. 2014 Sep 51 3 448-52
- Keratinizing-type squamous cell carcinoma of the oropharynx: p16 overexpression is associated with positive high-risk HPV status and improved survival.
- Cai C, Chernock RD, Pittman ME, El-Mofty SK, Thorstad WL, Lewis JS Am. J. Surg. Pathol. 2014 Jun 38 6 809-15
- In myofibroblastic sarcomas of the head and neck, mitotic activity and necrosis define grade: a case study and literature review.
- Cai C, Dehner LP, El-Mofty SK Virchows Arch. 2013 Dec 463 6 827-36
- Teratocarcinoma formation in embryonic stem cell-derived neural progenitor hippocampal transplants.
- Germain ND, Hartman NW, Cai C, Becker S, Naegele JR, Grabel LB Cell Transplant 2012 21 8 1603-11
Honors & Awards
- Keifer Graduate Research Award, Wesleyan University
- Outstanding Student Award, Beijing Medical University
- Member of American Association of Neuropathologists (AANP)
- Member of United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology (USCAP)