Dr. William Santangelo received his initial medical training from University of Rochester and trained in Internal Medicine at University of Miami School of Medicine. He completed his Gastroenterology fellowship at University of Texas Health Science Center. Dr. Santangelo brings to UTSW a strong background in general gastroenterology with special clinical interests in chronic diarrhea and GI manifestations of HIV infection.
Dr. Santangelo was born and raised in New York, but moved around in the following years to Miami and St. Louis, before settling in Dallas, Texas. His outside interests include traveling and cooking.
- Medical School
- University of Miami School of Medicine (1980)
- Washington University School of Medicine (1981), Internal Medicine
- Washington University School of Medicine (1983), Internal Medicine
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1985), Gastroenterology
- Chronic Diarrhea
- GI Manifestations of HIV Infection
- Diagnostic value of fasting plasma peptide concentrations in patients with chronic diarrhea.
- Schiller LR, Rivera LM, Santangelo WC, Little KH, Fordtran JS Dig. Dis. Sci. 1994 Oct 39 10 2216-22
- The self-limited nature of chronic idiopathic diarrhea.
- Afzalpurkar RG, Schiller LR, Little KH, Santangelo WC, Fordtran JS N. Engl. J. Med. 1992 Dec 327 26 1849-52
- Alpha 1-antitrypsin excretion in stool in normal subjects and in patients with gastrointestinal disorders.
- Strygler B, Nicar MJ, Santangelo WC, Porter JL, Fordtran JS Gastroenterology 1990 Nov 99 5 1380-7
- Surreptitious ipecac administration simulating intestinal pseudo-obstruction.
- Santangelo WC, Richey JE, Rivera L, Fordtran JS Ann. Intern. Med. 1989 Jun 110 12 1031-2
- Loss of absorptive capacity for sodium chloride as a cause of diarrhea following partial ileal and right colon resection.
- Arrambide KA, Santa Ana CA, Schiller LR, Little KH, Santangelo WC, Fordtran JS Dig. Dis. Sci. 1989 Feb 34 2 193-201
- Prophylactic sclerotherapy of large esophageal varices.
- Santangelo WC, Dueno MI, Estes BL, Krejs GJ N. Engl. J. Med. 1988 Mar 318 13 814-8
- Effect of somatostatin analog on water and electrolyte transport and transit time in human small bowel.
- Dueno MI, Bai JC, Santangelo WC, Krejs GJ Dig. Dis. Sci. 1987 Oct 32 10 1092-6
- Pseudopancreatic cholera syndrome: effect of a synthetic somatostatin analogue, SMS 201-995.
- Santangelo WC, Dueno MI, Krejs GJ Am. J. Med. 1987 May 82 5B 84-7
- Gastrointestinal manifestations of the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome.
- Santangelo WC, Krejs GJ Am. J. Med. Sci. 1986 Nov 292 5 328-34
- Somatostatin analog-induced remission of necrolytic migratory erythema without changes in plasma glucagon concentration.
- Santangelo WC, Unger RH, Orci L, Dueno MI, Popma JJ, Krejs GJ Pancreas 1986 1 5 464-9
Honors & Awards
- Dallas Best Doctors
D Magazine (2011)
- Dallas Best Doctors
D Magazine (2010)
- Lyman E. Bilhartz M.D. Teaching Award
UT Southwestern (2007)
- Alpha Omega Alpha
Medical Honor Society (1980)
Graduating Class, University of Miami School of Medicine (1980)
- Phi Beta Kappa
Honor Society (1976)
- American College of Gastroenterology (1992-1992)
- American Gastroenterology Association (1983)