Michael Roth received an AB degree in 1971 from Davidson College and taught high school science in Alexandria Virginia before obtaining a PhD in Cell and Molecular Biology from the University of Alabama at Birmingham in 1982. He was a Damon Runyon Cancer Research Foundation postdoctoral fellow from 1982-1983 and a NIH postdoctoral fellow from 1983-1985 with Drs. Joe Sambrook and Mary-Jane Gething at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory. He joined the faculty at UT Southwestern in 1985, was promoted to professor in 1996 and that year received the Diane and Hal Brierley Chair in Biomedical Research.
Dr. Roth’s current research interests focus on drug discovery. Active research programs in the Roth laboratory target virus pathogens, cancer and diabetes with an emphasis in using genetics and cell biology to determine the mechanisms by which novel chemical compounds affect living organisms. Dr. Roth is a founding member of the University of Texas Academy of Health Science Education and a member of Southwestern Academy of Teachers.
|Undergraduate||Davidson College (1971), French Literature|
|Graduate School||University of Alabama at Birmingham (1982)|
- antiviral therapeutics, viruses, host defense against virus
- Biochemistry and Cell Biology
- Diabetes, Type I & II
- Drug discovery
- High-throughput screening of chemical compound libraries.
- High-throughput screening of RNAi libraries.
- Intracellular traffic in membrane proteins and lipids.
- Lung Cancer
- Systematic identification of molecular subtype-selective vulnerabilities in non-small-cell lung cancer.
- Kim HS, Mendiratta S, Kim J, Pecot CV, Larsen JE, Zubovych I, Seo BY, Kim J, Eskiocak B, Chung H, McMillan E, Wu S, De Brabander J, Komurov K, Toombs JE, Wei S, Peyton M, Williams N, Gazdar AF, Posner BA, Brekken RA, Sood AK, Deberardinis RJ, Roth MG, Minna JD, White MA Cell 2013 Oct 155 3 552-66
- Studies toward the Unique Pederin Family Member Psymberin: Structure-Activity Relationships, Biochemical Studies and Genetics Identify the Mode-of-Action of Psymberin.
- Wu CY, Feng Y, Cardenas ER, Williams NS, Floreancig PE, De Brabander JK, Roth MG J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2012 Oct
- Inhibition of pyrimidine synthesis reverses viral virulence factor-mediated block of mRNA nuclear export.
- Zhang L, Das P, Schmolke M, Manicassamy B, Wang Y, Deng X, Cai L, Tu BP, Forst CV, Roth MG, Levy DE, García-Sastre A, de Brabander J, Phillips MA, Fontoura BM J. Cell Biol. 2012 Feb 196 3 315-26
- Image-based genome-wide siRNA screen identifies selective autophagy factors.
- Orvedahl A, Jr RS, Xiao G, Ng A, Zou Z, Tang Y, Narimatsu M, Gilpin C, Sun Q, Roth M, Forst CV, Wrana JL, Zhang YE, Luby-Phelps K, Xavier RJ, Xie Y, Levine B Nature 2011 Oct
- Chemical inhibition of RNA viruses reveals REDD1 as a host defense factor.
- Mata MA, Satterly N, Versteeg GA, Frantz D, Wei S, Williams N, Schmolke M, Peña-Llopis S, Brugarolas J, Forst CV, White MA, García-Sastre A, Roth MG, Fontoura BM Nat. Chem. Biol. 2011 7 10
- Small molecule-mediated disruption of Wnt-dependent signaling in tissue regeneration and cancer.
- Chen B, Dodge ME, Tang W, Lu J, Ma Z, Fan CW, Wei S, Hao W, Kilgore J, Williams NS, Roth MG, Amatruda JF, Chen C, Lum L Nat. Chem. Biol. 2009 Feb 5 2 100-7
- Targetting QseC Signaling and Virulence for Antibiotic Development
- Rasko, D. A. C. G. Moreira, D. Li, J. M. Ritchie, M. K. Waldor, N. Williams, R. Taussig, C. Mischnoff, S. Wei, M. G. Roth, D. T. Hughes, J. Huntley, J. R. Falck, and V. Sperandio Science 2008 321 1078-1080
- Synthetic lethal screen identification of chemosensitizer loci in cancer cells.
- Whitehurst AW, Bodemann BO, Cardenas J, Ferguson D, Girard L, Peyton M, Minna JD, Michnoff C, Hao W, Roth MG, Xie XJ, White MA Nature 2007 Apr 446 7137 815-9
- Hyperglycemia in rodent models of type 2 diabetes requires insulin-resistant alpha cells.
- Lee Y, Berglund ED, Yu X, Wang MY, Evans MR, Scherer PE, Holland WL, Charron MJ, Roth MG, Unger RH Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2014 Aug
- Genome-wide siRNA screen reveals coupling between mitotic apoptosis and adaptation.
- Díaz-Martínez LA, Karamysheva ZN, Warrington R, Li B, Wei S, Xie XJ, Roth MG, Yu H EMBO J. 2014 Jul
Honors & Awards
- UT Southwestern Academy of Teachers
- Distinguished Teaching Professor
- Member, UT Academy of Health Science Education
- Diane and Hal Brierley Distinguished Chair in Biomedical Research
- Established Investigator of the American Heart Association
- American Chemical Society (2013)
- Faculty1000 (2004)
- Editorial Board: Traffic (2000)
- American Society for Cell Biology (1982)
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology