Dr. Ross’s research focuses on how cells receive, amplify, integrate, and sort information. The work focuses on the integrated control of cellular signaling pathways, particularly those that involve GTP-binding proteins.
- University of California-Davis (1970), Biochemistry
- Graduate School
- Cornell University (1975)
- Computational modeling of signaling networks
- Integration of biological signaling
- Interaction of membrane-bound enzymes and hormone receptors
- Mechanisms of G protein-mediated signal transduction
- Structure of G protein-coupled receptors
- WNK1 promotes PIP2 synthesis to coordinate growth factor and GPCR-Gq signaling.
- An SW, Cha SK, Yoon J, Chang S, Ross EM, Huang CL Curr. Biol. 2011 Dec 21 23 1979-87
- Synergistic activation of phospholipase C-beta3 by Galpha(q) and Gbetagamma describes a simple two-state coincidence detector.
- Philip F, Kadamur G, Silos RG, Woodson J, Ross EM Curr. Biol. 2010 Aug 20 15 1327-35
- Coordinating speed and amplitude in G-protein signaling.
- Ross EM Curr. Biol. 2008 Sep 18 17 R777-R783
- Coordinate Regulation of G Protein Signaling via Dynamic Interactions of Receptor and GAP
- Turcotte, M., Tang, W., Ross, E.M. PLoS Computational Biology August 2008 4 e100148
- GTPase-activating proteins for heterotrimeric G proteins: regulators of G protein signaling (RGS) and RGS-like proteins.
- Ross EM, Wilkie TM Annu. Rev. Biochem. 2000 69 795-827
- Rapid GTP binding and hydrolysis by Gq promoted by receptor and GTPase-activating proteins
- Mukhopadhyay, S., and Ross, E.M. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA August 1999 96 9539-9544
- Rapid GTP binding and hydrolysis by G(q) promoted by receptor and GTPase-activating proteins.
- Mukhopadhyay S, Ross EM Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 1999 Aug 96 17 9539-44
- RGSZ1, A Gz-Selective RGS Protein in Brain: Structure, Membrane Association, Regulation by Gαz Phosphorylation, and Relationship to a Gz GTPase-Activating Protein Subfamily
- Wang, J., Ducret, A., Tu, Y., Kozasa, T, Aebersold, R., and Ross, E.M. J. Biol. Chem. October 1998 273 26014-26025
- Inhibition of Brain Gz GAP and Other RGS Proteins by Palmitoylation of Protein α Subunits
- Tu, Y., Wang, J., and Ross, E.M. Science November 1997 278 1132-1135
- Regulation of Phospholipase C-β1 by Gq and m1 Muscarinic Cholinergic Receptor: Steady-State Balance of Receptor-Mediated Activation and GAP-Promoted Deactition
- Biddlecome, G.H., Berstein,G., and Ross, E.M. J. Biol. Chem. April 1996 271 7999-8007
Honors & Awards
- NIGMS MERIT Award
- ASPET Goodman and Gilman Award for Drug-Receptor Pharmacology
- Chairman, Gordon Research Conference on Molecular Pharmacology
- Scientific Director, NATO/FEBS Adv. Study Inst. on Biological Signal Transduction
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics (Section on Molecular Pharmacology)
- Biophysical Society