Dr. Rosenfeld attended college at Emory University and graduated from Emory University School of Medicine. He completed his general training in Pediatrics at Yale-New Haven Medical Center and Albert Einstein College of Medicine, where he also was Chief Resident. He then spent a year as a Pediatric Pulmonary Fellow with Amile Scarpelli, MD, PhD at Albert Einstein, followed by 2 years in the Perinatal Research Program at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center under the mentoring of Frederick Battaglia, MD and Giacomo Meschia, MD. After joining the faculty at UT Southwestern in 1973, Dr. Rosenfeld established a perinatal biology laboratory for the study of cardiovascular changes in pregnancy, and in particular, the study of uteroplacental and umbilicoplacental blood flows. He has received nearly continuous funding from NIH for his studies of the mother and fetus for 39 years, as well as other grants, making contributions to our understanding of cardiovascular changes in pregnancy and during fetal and neonatal development. He was the Director of the Division of Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine for nearly 35 years and has provided research training and mentoring for more than 15 fellows in his specialty, 5 in Maternal-Fetal Medicine, and numerous postdoctoral and medical students. His publication record exceeds 200 peer-reviewed articles and chapters in several textbooks. Dr. Rosenfeld was the 2005 recipient of the Founders Award given by the Southern Society for Pediatric Research for his research contributions to child health and was elected a Fellow in the Section of Heart and Circulatory Physiology, American Physiological Society in 2005.
- Medical School
- Emory University School of Medicine (1966)
- Yale-New Haven Hospital (1967), Pediatrics
- Albert Einstein Medical Center (1969), Pediatrics
- Albert Einstein Medical Center (1970), Pediatrics
- Bronx Municipal Hospital Ctr. (1971), Cardiopulmonary
- University of Colorado Health Sciences Center (1973), Neonatal-perinatal Medicine
- Blood pressure regulation before and after birth
- Cardiovascular role of estrogen in pregnancy
- Development of the renin-angiotensin system
- Mechanisms modulating uteroplacental blood flow
- Differential sensitivity to angiotensin II and norepinephrine in human uterine arteries.
- Rosenfeld CR, DeSpain K, Word RA, Liu XT J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2012 Jan 97 1 138-47
- Pregnancy modifies the large conductance Ca2+-activated K+ channel and cGMP-dependent signaling pathway in uterine vascular smooth muscle.
- Rosenfeld CR, Liu XT, DeSpain K Am. J. Physiol. Heart Circ. Physiol. 2009 Jun 296 6 H1878-87
- Ca(2+)-activated K(+) channels modulate basal and E(2)beta-induced rises in uterine blood flow in ovine pregnancy.
- Rosenfeld CR, Cornfield DN, Roy T Am. J. Physiol. Heart Circ. Physiol. 2001 Jul 281 1 H422-31
- Ontogeny of vascular angiotensin II receptor subtype expression in ovine development.
- Cox BE, Rosenfeld CR Pediatr. Res. 1999 Mar 45 3 414-24
- Effect of angiotensin II on uterine and systemic vasculature in pregnant sheep.
- Naden RP, Rosenfeld CR J. Clin. Invest. 1981 Aug 68 2 468-74
- Circulatory changes in the reproductive tissues of ewes during pregnancy.
- Rosenfeld CR, Morriss FH, Makowski EL, Meschia G, Battaglia FC Gynecol Invest 1974 5 5-6 252-68
- Biomarkers of Adiposity Are Elevated in Preterm Very-Low-Birth-Weight Infants at 1, 2 and 3 Years of Age.
- Duncan AF, Frankfurt JA, Heyne RJ, Rosenfeld CR Pediatr. Res. 2017 Jan
- Growth Outcomes of Preterm Infants Exposed to Different Oxygen Saturation Target Ranges from Birth.
- Navarrete CT, Wrage LA, Carlo WA, Walsh MC, Rich W, Gantz MG, Das A, Schibler K, Newman NS, Piazza AJ, Poindexter BB, Shankaran S, Sánchez PJ, Morris BH, Frantz ID, Van Meurs KP, Cotten CM, Ehrenkranz RA, Bell EF, Watterberg KL, Higgins RD, Duara S J. Pediatr. 2016 Jun
- Chorioamnionitis and Culture-Confirmed, Early-Onset Neonatal Infections.
- Wortham JM, Hansen NI, Schrag SJ, Hale E, Van Meurs K, Sánchez PJ, Cantey JB, Faix R, Poindexter B, Goldberg R, Bizzarro M, Frantz I, Das A, Benitz WE, Shane AL, Higgins R, Stoll BJ Pediatrics 2015 Dec
- Placental Pathology is Associated with Severity of Neonatal Encephalopathy and Adverse Developmental Outcomes following Hypothermia.
- Mir IN, Johnson-Welch SF, Nelson DB, Brown LS, Rosenfeld CR, Chalak LF Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 2015 Sep
Regulation of the Placental Circulation. In Polin RA, Abman SH, Rowitch D, Benitz WE, eds. Fetal and Neonatal Physiology. 5th ed.
Rosenfeld CR. (2016). Philadelphia: Elsevier; 114-120.
Maternal Cardiovascular Alterations during Pregnancy. In Gluckman PS, Heymann MA, eds. Perinatal and Pediatric Pathophysiology: A Clinical Perspective.
Magness RR, Rosenfeld CR. (1993). London: Edward Arnold Publisher.
Eicosanoids and the Regulation of Uteroplacental Hemodynamics. In Mitchell MD, ed. Eicosanoids in Reproduction
Magness RR, Rosenfeld CR. (1990). CRC Press; 139-168.
Honors & Awards
- Top Doctors
Castle Connolly Medical Ltd. (2014)
- Top Doctors
US News & World Report (2012)
- Student Teaching Award, Senior Acute Care Medicine
UT Southwestern Medical School (2008)
- Legends Award for Outstanding Service
Parkland Memorial Hospital (2007)
- SSPR Founders Award
Recognition for research contributing to improving child health, Southern Society of Pediatric Research (2005)
- Who's Who in America
- Associate Editor, Reproductive Sciences (JSGI)
Appointed to the initial Editorial Board; evaluating basic research (1993)
- George L. Mac Gregor Professorship of Pediatrics
Recognition for research contributions in Perinatal Medicine (1993)
- Associate Editor, Early Human Development
Responsible for all manuscripts in the Americas (1986)
- Perinatal Research Society
Recognition for contributions to studies in pregnancy and development (1981)
- American Pediatric Program Directors (2008)
- American Heart Association (1999)
- American Physiologic Society (1985)
- American Pediatric Society (1983)
- Perinatal Research Society (1981)
- Society for Gynecologic Investigation (1978)
- Society for Pediatric Research (1977)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (1976)