Animesh (Aashoo) Tandon, M.D., M.S., is Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, with joint appointments in Radiology and Biomedical Engineering, at UT Southwestern. He graduated from Washington University in St. Louis with a BA in 2003. During his medical training at the University of Michigan Medical School, he performed a research fellowship at the NINDS/NIH through the Howard Hughes Medical Institute/NIH Research Scholars (Cloister) Program. Dr. Tandon completed his pediatric residency and categorical pediatric cardiology fellowship at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center. During fellowship, he earned a Masters in Clinical and Translational Research from the University of Cincinnati. He then completed an advanced imaging fellowship at Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta/Emory University.
Dr. Tandon’s current clinical and research interests are focused on the use of cardiac MRI (CMR) to aid in noninvasive histology and the understanding of pathophysiology; the development and use of wearable and other monitoring devices; the collection and analysis of big data through machine learning and the development of predictive analytics; 3D printing, 3D visualization, virtual reality, and augmented reality in congenital heart disease; and fellow education.
He currently serves on the AAP’s Section of Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery Early Career Working Group; the American College of Cardiology Early Career Section Leadership Council; and the American Heart Association Center for Health Technology & Innovation (CHTI) Health Technology Advisory Group (HTAG).
- Medical School
- University of Michigan Medical School (2008)
- University of Cincinnati College of Medicine/Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center (2011), Pediatrics
- Graduate School
- University of Cincinnati College of Medicine (2014)
- University of Cincinnati College of Medicine/Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center (2014), Pediatric Cardiology
- Emory University/Children's Hospital of Atlanta (2015), Cardiac Advanced Imaging
- 3D printing, 3D modeling, 3D visualization, virtual reality, and augmented reality for improved visualization of and pre-interventional planning for congenital heart disease
- Big data and predictive analytics in pediatric cardiology/congenital heart disease
- Cardiac MRI for noninvasive tissue characterization
- Development and validation of new, advanced cardiac MRI techniques for use in pediatric cardiology/congenital heart disease
- Emerging and disruptive technologies in pediatric cardiology/congenital heart disease
- Imaging of animal models of congenital heart disease
- Vessel wall health in congenital and acquired heart disease through novel cardiac MRI imaging techniques
- Wearables, biosensors, implantables, and other monitoring devices for use in pediatric cardiology/congenital heart disease
- A clinical combined gadobutrol bolus and slow infusion protocol enabling angiography, inversion recovery whole heart, and late gadolinium enhancement imaging in a single study.
- Tandon A, James L, Henningsson M, Botnar RM, Potersnak A, Greil GF, Hussain T J Cardiovasc Magn Reson 2016 Oct 18 1 66
- A systematic review of image segmentation methodology, used in the additive manufacture of patient-specific 3D printed models of the cardiovascular system.
- Byrne N, Velasco Forte M, Tandon A, Valverde I, Hussain T JRSM Cardiovasc Dis 2016 Jan-Dec 5 2048004016645467
- Update on the Role of Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Congenital Heart Disease.
- Rajiah P, Tandon A, Greil GF, Abbara S Curr Treat Options Cardiovasc Med 2017 Jan 19 1 2
- Timely Pulmonary Valve Replacement May Allow Preservation of Left Ventricular Circumferential Strain in Patients with Tetralogy of Fallot.
- Burkhardt BE, Velasco Forte MN, Durairaj S, Rafiq I, Valverde I, Tandon A, Simpson J, Hussain T Front Pediatr 2017 5 39
- 3D Whole Heart Imaging for Congenital Heart Disease.
- Greil G, Tandon AA, Silva Vieira M, Hussain T Front Pediatr 2017 5 36
- Improved high-resolution pediatric vascular cardiovascular magnetic resonance with gadofosveset-enhanced 3D respiratory navigated, inversion recovery prepared gradient echo readout imaging compared to 3D balanced steady-state free precession readout imaging.
- Tandon A, Hashemi S, Parks WJ, Kelleman MS, Sallee D, Slesnick TC J Cardiovasc Magn Reson 2016 Nov 18 1 74
- Use of a semi-automated cardiac segmentation tool improves reproducibility and speed of segmentation of contaminated right heart magnetic resonance angiography.
- Tandon A, Byrne N, Nieves Velasco Forte ML, Zhang S, Dyer AK, Dillenbeck JM, Greil GF, Hussain T Int J Cardiovasc Imaging 2016 May
- Tools to Stay Organized: Using Software to Enhance Efficiency
- Tandon A Congenital Cardiology Today 2016 14 2 12
- Dystrophin genotype-cardiac phenotype correlations in Duchenne and Becker muscular dystrophies using cardiac magnetic resonance imaging.
- Tandon A, Jefferies JL, Villa CR, Hor KN, Wong BL, Ware SM, Gao Z, Towbin JA, Mazur W, Fleck RJ, Sticka JJ, Benson DW, Taylor MD Am. J. Cardiol. 2015 Apr 115 7 967-71
- Myocardial fibrosis burden predicts left ventricular ejection fraction and is associated with age and steroid treatment duration in duchenne muscular dystrophy.
- Tandon A, Villa CR, Hor KN, Jefferies JL, Gao Z, Towbin JA, Wong BL, Mazur W, Fleck RJ, Sticka JJ, Benson DW, Taylor MD J Am Heart Assoc 2015 Apr 4 4
Honors & Awards
- Clinical Stipend
International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (2017)
- Early Career Research Award
Children's Clinical Research Advisory Committee (2016)
- Oral presentation for Best Scientific Report
12th Advanced Symposium on Pediatric Cardiovascular Imaging, Society for Pediatric Radiology, Houston, TX (2016)
- Pediatric Research Loan Repayment Program Awardee
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (2016)
American College of Cardiology (2015)
- Honorable Mention, Poster Competition, Pediatric Research Conference
Inflammation in Pediatric Health: Improving Care Through Innovation and Technology (2015)
- Early Career Investigator Award
American Heart Association Council on Cardiovascular Disease in the Young (CVDY) (2014)
- Young Investigator Award
American College of Cardiology (2014)
- CCHMC Clinical and Translational Research Fellowship Award
- MD with Distinction in Research
University of Michigan Medical School (2008)
- HHMI-NIH Research Scholars (Cloister) Program
- NINDS Intramural Retreat Outstanding Poster Award
- W. Oren Boren Scholarship
University of Michigan Medical School (2005)
- Summer Biomedical Research Program
University of Michigan Medical School (2004)
- Joseph Collins Scholarship
- Summa cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa; Sigma Xi
Washington University, St. Louis (2003)
- Undergraduate Biological Sciences Educational Program
HHMI at Washington University, St. Louis (2001)
- Dean's List
Washington University, St. Louis (2000-2002)
- NIH Summer Internship Program in Biomedical Research
- American College of Cardiology (2017-2020)
- American Heart Association (2017)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (2015)
- North American Society for Cardiovascular Imaging (2015)
- American Board of Pediatrics, Pediatric Cardiology (2014)
- American Board of Pediatrics (2011)
- American Society of Echocardiography
- Society of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance
- Society of Pediatric Echocardiography
- Wearable Technology in Healthcare (WATCH) Society