- Medical School
- University of California, San Diego (1983)
- University of Southern California Med. Center-LAC (1984), Pediatrics
- University of Southern California Med. Center-LAC (1986), Pediatrics
- University of Southern California Med. Center-LAC (1987), Hematology
- UT Southwestern - Children's Medical Center (1990), Pediatric Hematology/oncology
- Characterization of the natural history and improvement of the treatment of children and adolescents with non-malignant hematologic diseases such as congenital bone marrow failure syndromes, aplastic anemia thalassemia, sickle cell disease, and immune cytopenias
- Development of optimum management approaches to major clinical events in children with sickle cell disease (febrile illness, chest syndrome, painful crisis, avascular necrosis, stroke)
- Use of hydroxyurea, transfusion, stem cell transplantation and other therapies, particularly in young children, to prevent the morbidity of sickle cell anemia
- A two-year pilot trial of hydroxyurea in very young children with sickle-cell anemia.
- Wang WC, Wynn LW, Rogers ZR, Scott JP, Lane PA, Ware RE J. Pediatr. 2001 Dec 139 6 790-6
- Outpatient penile aspiration and epinephrine irrigation for young patients with sickle cell anemia and prolonged priapism.
- Mantadakis E, Ewalt DH, Cavender JD, Rogers ZR, Buchanan GR Blood 2000 Jan 95 1 78-82
- Functional asplenia in hemoglobin SC disease.
- Lane PA, O'Connell JL, Lear JL, Rogers ZR, Woods GM, Hassell KL, Wethers DL, Luckey DW, Buchanan GR Blood 1995 Apr 85 8 2238-44
- Outpatient management of febrile illness in infants and young children with sickle cell anemia.
- Rogers ZR, Morrison RA, Vedro DA, Buchanan GR J. Pediatr. 1990 Nov 117 5 736-9
- Pharmacokinetics and bioequivalence of a liquid formulation of hydroxyurea in children with sickle cell anemia.
- Estepp JH, Melloni C, Thornburg CD, Wiczling P, Rogers Z, Rothman JA, Green NS, Liem R, Brandow AM, Crary SE, Howard TH, Morris MH, Lewandowski A, Garg U, Jusko WJ, Neville KA J Clin Pharmacol 2016 Mar 56 3 298-306
- Hydroxycarbamide versus chronic transfusion for maintenance of transcranial doppler flow velocities in children with sickle cell anaemia-TCD With Transfusions Changing to Hydroxyurea (TWiTCH): a multicentre, open-label, phase 3, non-inferiority trial.
- Ware RE, Davis BR, Schultz WH, Brown RC, Aygun B, Sarnaik S, Odame I, Fuh B, George A, Owen W, Luchtman-Jones L, Rogers ZR, Hilliard L, Gauger C, Piccone C, Lee MT, Kwiatkowski JL, Jackson S, Miller ST, Roberts C, Heeney MM, Kalfa TA, Nelson S, Imran H, Nottage K, Alvarez O, Rhodes M, Thompson AA, Rothman JA, Helton KJ, Roberts D, Coleman J, Bonner MJ, Kutlar A, Patel N, Wood J, Piller L, Wei P, Luden J, Mortier NA, Stuber SE, Luban NL, Cohen AR, Pressel S, Adams RJ Lancet 2015 Dec
- Organ iron accumulation in chronically transfused children with sickle cell anaemia: baseline results from the TWiTCH trial.
- Wood JC, Cohen AR, Pressel SL, Aygun B, Imran H, Luchtman-Jones L, Thompson AA, Fuh B, Schultz WH, Davis BR, Ware RE Br. J. Haematol. 2015 Nov
- Effects of hydroxyurea treatment for patients with hemoglobin SC disease.
- Luchtman-Jones L, Pressel S, Hilliard L, Brown RC, Smith MG, Thompson AA, Lee MT, Rothman J, Rogers ZR, Owen W, Imran H, Thornburg C, Kwiatkowski JL, Aygun B, Nelson S, Roberts C, Gauger C, Piccone C, Kalfa T, Alvarez O, Hassell K, Davis BR, Ware RE Am. J. Hematol. 2015 Nov
- Liver iron concentration measurements by MRI in chronically transfused children with sickle cell anemia: Baseline results from the TWiTCH trial.
- Wood JC, Pressel S, Rogers ZR, Odame I, Kwiatkowski JL, Lee MT, Owen WC, Cohen AR, St Pierre T, Heeney MM, Schultz WH, Davis BR, Ware RE Am. J. Hematol. 2015 Jun
- Guidelines for the Standard Monitoring of Patients With Thalassemia: Report of the Thalassemia Longitudinal Cohort.
- Tubman VN, Fung EB, Vogiatzi M, Thompson AA, Rogers ZR, Neufeld EJ, Kwiatkowski JL J. Pediatr. Hematol. Oncol. 2015 Apr 37 3 e162-9
Bone marrow failure syndromes. In Werner E, de Alarcon P, Christensen RD, eds. Neonatal Hematology: Pathogenesis, Diagnosis, and Management of Hematologic Problems. 2nd ed.
Rogers ZR, Alter BP. (2013). Cambridge University Press; 47-64.
Anemia Due to Diminished Red Blood Cell Production. In Rudolph CD, Rudolph AM, Lister G, First LR, Gershon AA, eds. Rudolph's Pediatrics. 22nd ed.
Rogers ZR. (2011). McGraw-Hill; 1549-1551.
Chediak-Higashi syndrome. In Roach ES, Miller VS, eds. Neurocutaneous Disorders.
Farah RA, Rogers ZR. (2004). Cambridge University Press; 296-300.
Honors & Awards
- Best Pediatric Specialists in Dallas
D Magazine (2015-2016)
- Mom-Approved Doctor
Child Magazine (2015)
- Physician Scientist Award, Fellow
Damon Runyon-Walter Winchell Cancer Research Fund (1990-1993)
- American Cancer Society
Texas Division Oncology, Research Fellowship (1989)
- Phi Beta Kappa
Alpha of California (1978)
- American Society of Hematology (1990)
- American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology (1989)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (1987)
- American Pediatric Society
- Society for Pediatric Research