Dr. Murakami completed her Gastroenterology fellowship at the University of Washington and her Hepatology fellowship at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center where she began her career working in the Liver Unit. She then returned to the University of Washington and the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center where her emphasis was in patient care and clinical research of the gastrointestinal and liver complications of bone marrow and liver transplant patients. For the past 15 years, she has had a thriving private practice in General Gastroenterology and Hepatology in Seattle. Most recently, while having an active practice in gastroenterology at Virginia Mason Medical Center she was a provider in the Liver Center of Excellence. Although she was born and raised in Los Angeles, Dr. Murakami has returned to UT Southwestern and brings a wide range of experience. Professional interests include viral hepatitis, fatty liver disease, autoimmune liver diseases and inflammatory bowel diseases. Her outside interests include traveling, outdoor activities, cooking, yoga and spending time with family and friends.
- Medical School
- Loyola University (1985)
- VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare Systems (1988), Internal Medicine
- University of Washington (1991), Gastroenterology
- UT Southwestern Medical Center (1992), Hepatology
- Bile duct apoptosis and cholestasis resembling acute graft-versus-host disease after autologous hematopoietic cell transplantation.
- Saunders MD, Shulman HM, Murakami CS, Chauncey TR, Bensinger WI, McDonald GB Am. J. Surg. Pathol. 2000 Jul 24 7 1004-8
- Biliary obstruction in hematopoietic cell transplant recipients: an uncommon diagnosis with specific causes.
- Murakami CS, Louie W, Chan GS, O'Donnell M, David D, Forman SJ, McDonald GB Bone Marrow Transplant. 1999 May 23 9 921-7
- Oral beclomethasone dipropionate for treatment of intestinal graft-versus-host disease: a randomized, controlled trial.
- McDonald GB, Bouvier M, Hockenbery DM, Stern JM, Gooley T, Farrand A, Murakami C, Levine DS Gastroenterology 1998 Jul 115 1 28-35
- Chemical composition of gallbladder sludge in patients after marrow transplantation.
- Ko CW, Murakami C, Sekijima JH, Kim MH, McDonald GB, Lee SP Am. J. Gastroenterol. 1996 Jun 91 6 1207-10
- A juvenile polyp presenting as massive lower gastrointestinal hemorrhage in an adult.
- Murakami CS, Nizzi FA Am. J. Gastroenterol. 1995 Feb 90 2 324-5
- Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura during interferon-alpha 2B treatment for chronic hepatitis.
- Murakami CS, Zeller K, Bodenheimer HC, Lee WM Am. J. Gastroenterol. 1994 Dec 89 12 2244-5
- Mooren-type hepatitis C virus-associated corneal ulceration.
- Wilson SE, Lee WM, Murakami C, Weng J, Moninger GA Ophthalmology 1994 Apr 101 4 736-45
- Ursodeoxycholic acid treatment of refractory chronic graft-versus-host disease of the liver.
- Fried RH, Murakami CS, Fisher LD, Willson RA, Sullivan KM, McDonald GB Ann. Intern. Med. 1992 Apr 116 8 624-9
Contributed Review Questions on Hepatic Tumors, Alcoholic Liver Disease and Cystic Diseases of the Liver. In Gastrointestinal Disease: Review and Assessment. A review book to accompany the new edition of Sleisenger and Fordtran.
Bilhartz LE and Weisiger R (Ed.) (1996).
Honors & Awards
- Excellence in Clerkship
Loyola University, Stritch School of Medicine (1985)
- Dean's List
University of California, Los Angeles (1978-1980)
- Dean's List
University of California, Riverside (1976-1978)
- American Neurogastroenterology and Motility Society (2011)
- American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (1992)
- American Gastroenterological Association (1991)
- American Medical Association (1988)