Dr. La Hoz received his medical degree from the Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia (UPCH) in Lima, Peru and was the “CONTENTA” award recipient of his graduating class. He completed his Internal Medicine Residency and Infectious Diseases Fellowship at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB).
He currently serves as Assistant Professor of Medicine in the Division of Infectious Diseases. Dr. La Hoz brings to UT Southwestern a strong background in transplant infectious diseases, as well as an interest in medical education. His commitment to patient care and medical education resulted in his induction to the Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Honor Medical Society and Fellowship of the American College of Physicians (FACP). His research and clinical endeavors are focused on the prevention and treatment of infectious complications in hematopoietic stem cell and solid organ transplant recipients as well as medical mycology.
His activities in the American Society of Transplantation led to his election as an Executive Committee Member of the Infectious Diseases Community of Practice and will serve his term from 2016 to 2018. He was also selected to serve as the At Large Member of the Organ Procurement Transplant Network/United Network of Organ Sharing Ad Hoc Disease Transmission Advisory Committee from 2016 to 2019. In 2017 he became a Fellow of the American Society of Transplantation (FAST) due to his commitment to the field of transplantation and outstanding service to the society.
Dr. La Hoz’s interests outside of medicine include his family and friends, cooking, travelling, sailing and exploring the Dallas area.
- Medical School
- Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia, Peru (2005)
- University of Alabama at Birmingham (2010), Internal Medicine
- University of Alabama at Birmingham (2013), Infectious Diseases
Infectious Complications Transplant Recipients
- BK Polymavirus Infections in Solid & Stem Cell Transplant Recipients
- Clostrium Difficile Infections in Solid & Stem Cell Transplant Recipients
- Cytomegalovirus (CMV) Infections in Solid & Stem Cell Transplant Recipients
- Human Parvovirus B19 Infections in Solid & Stem Cell Transplant Recipients
- Infections Complications in Non-HIV Immunocompromised Hosts
- Infections Complications of Ventricular Assist Devices
- Invasive Aspergillosis in Solid & Stem Cell Transplant Recipients
- Invasive Candiasis in Solid & Stem Cell Transplant Recipients
- Invasive Fungal Infections in Solid & Stem Cell Transplant Recipients
- Nontuberculosus Mycobacterial Infections in Solid & Stem Cell Transplant Recipients
- Pre-Transplant Evaluations in Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant Candidates
- Pre-Transplant Evaluations in Solid Organ Transplant Candidates
- Strategies for Safe Living After Solid & Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation
- Infectious Complications in Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant Recipients
- Infectious Complications in Solid Organ Transplant Recipients
- Invasive Fungal Infections: Candidiasis, Cryptococcosis, Aspergillosis, Blastomycosis and Histoplasmosis
- Gain-of-function signal transducer and activator of transcription 1 (STAT1) mutation-related primary immunodeficiency is associated with disseminated mucormycosis.
- Kumar N, Hanks ME, Chandrasekaran P, Davis BC, Hsu AP, Van Wagoner NJ, Merlin JS, Spalding C, La Hoz RM, Holland SM, Zerbe CS, Sampaio EP. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2014.
- Infectious complications of immune modulatory agents.
- La Hoz RM, Baddley JW. Current Infectious Disease Reports. 2013.
- Cryptococcal infections: changing epidemiology and implications for therapy.
- La Hoz RM, Pappas PG. Drugs. 2013.
- Subtherapeutic voriconazole concentrations associated with concomitant dexamethasone: case report and review of the literature
- Wallace KL, Filipek RL, La Hoz RM, Williamson JC. Journal of Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics. 2016
- The laboratory's role in solid organ transplantation: Screening for infectious diseases in pre-transplant evaluations.
- La Hoz RM Clinical Laboratory News 2016 11 42 16-22
- Pneumocystis Pneumonia in Solid Organ Transplant Recipients
- La Hoz RM, Baddley JW Current Fungal Infection Reports 2015
- Subcutaneous fungal infections.
- La Hoz RM, Baddley JW. Current Infectious Disease Reports. 2012.
- How I treat Histoplasmosis.
- La Hoz RM, Loyd JE, Wheat LJ, Baddley JW. Current Fungal Infection Report. 2012.
- Fungal Endocarditis
- La Hoz RM, Baddley JW. Journal of Invasive Fungal Diseases. 2011.
Honors & Awards
- American Society of Transplantation
- Division of Infectious Diseases Teaching Award
UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX (2016)
- Finalist Junior Faculty and Trainees Council Clinical Case Dilemmas in Thoracic Transplantation Best Presentation Award
The International Society of Heart and Lung Transplantation (2016)
- Master Teacher Award
Internal Medicine Residency Program, Wake Forest University School of Medicine (2014)
- American College of Physicians
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine (2011)
- International Antiviral Society USA
Core Clinical Faculty (2011)
- Best Teaching Fellow Award for Excellence in Teaching
Department of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham (2010-2011)
- Ben Friedman Award for Excellence in Teaching
Department of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham (2008-2009)
- "CONTENTA" Award
Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia (2005)
- Dallas County Medical Society (2016)
- Mycoses Study Group Education and Research Consortium (2016)
- Texas Medical Association (2016)
- Texas Transplantation Society (2016)
- The International Society of Heart and Lung Transplantation (2015)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society (2011)
- American Society of Transplantation (2011)
- International Antiviral Society USA (2011)
- HIV Medicine Association (2010)
- Infectious Diseases Society of America (2010)
- American College of Physicians (2008)