Dr. Michelle Hsiang’s career is focused on improving the health of children through clinical care and the study of malaria, an infectious disease that is one of the leading causes of morbidity and mortality in resource-limited settings. Dr. Hsiang completed her undergraduate training at Stanford University. She received her MD at Baylor College of Medicine, and completed a residency in Pediatrics and fellowship in Pediatric Infectious Diseases at the University of California, San Francisco.
Dr. Hsiang’s research is in the evaluation of surveillance and response strategies for malaria elimination. Specifically, she is interested in helping national malaria programs find and treat patients who are without symptoms, but are infected and serve as reservoirs for persistent transmission. She currently has field sites in Swaziland, Namibia, Thailand, and Indonesia. She is the Deputy Lead of Operational Research for the UCSF Global Health Group’s Malaria Elimination Initiative, and is a member of the Malaria Elimination Group (MEG). She is funded by grants from the Horchow Family Fund for Endowed Scholars in Pediatrics at UT Southwestern, National Institutes of Health, Burroughs Wellcome Fund/American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and the Novartis Foundation for Sustainable Development.
She joined the faculty at UT Southwestern in August 2014 and splits her time between clinical care, malaria research, and teaching and mentoring trainees. In September 2014, Dr. Hsiang was appointed Assistant Adjunct Professor at UT School of Public Health.
- Medical School
- Baylor College of Medicine (2005), Medicine
- University of California San Francisco School of Medicine (2008), Pediatrics
- University of California San Francisco School of Medicine (2012), Pediatric Infectious Diseases
- Infectious Disease
- Community based interventions for malaria elimination
- Malaria diagnostics and surveillance
- Malaria epidemiology
- Operational research
- Point of Care Testing for Malaria Using LAMP, Loop Mediated Isothermal Amplification.
- Hsiang MS, Greenhouse B, Rosenthal PJ J. Infect. Dis. 2014 May
- Pulmonary coccidiomycosis masquerading as refractory metastatic Ewing sarcoma.
- Stieglitz E, Hsiang MS, Simko JP, Hirose S, Goldsby RE J. Pediatr. Hematol. Oncol. 2014 Jan 36 1 e57-60
- Malaria in overseas labourers returning to China: an analysis of imported malaria in Jiangsu Province, 2001-2011.
- Liu Y, Hsiang MS, Zhou H, Wang W, Cao Y, Gosling RD, Cao J, Gao Q Malar. J. 2014 13 29
- Malaria and severe anemia: thinking beyond Plasmodium falciparum.
- Gosling RD, Hsiang MS PLoS Med. 2013 Dec 10 12 e1001576
- The changing epidemiology of malaria elimination: new strategies for new challenges.
- Cotter C, Sturrock HJ, Hsiang MS, Liu J, Phillips AA, Hwang J, Gueye CS, Fullman N, Gosling RD, Feachem RG Lancet 2013 Sep 382 9895 900-11
- Prevalence of PCR Detectable Malaria Infection among Febrile Patients with a Negative Plasmodium falciparum Specific Rapid Diagnostic Test in Zanzibar.
- Baltzell KA, Shakely D, Hsiang M, Kemere J, Ali AS, Björkman A, Mårtensson A, Omar R, Elfving K, Msellem M, Aydin-Schmidt B, Rosenthal PJ, Greenhouse B Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg. 2013 Feb 88 2 289-291
- Mass drug administration for the control and elimination of Plasmodium vivax malaria: an ecological study from Jiangsu province, China.
- Hsiang MS, Hwang J, Tao AR, Liu Y, Bennett A, Shanks GD, Cao J, Kachur SP, Feachem RG, Gosling RD, Gao Q Malar. J. 2013 12 383
- Active case detection for malaria elimination: a survey among Asia Pacific countries.
- Smith Gueye C, Sanders KC, Galappaththy GN, Rundi C, Tobgay T, Sovannaroth S, Gao Q, Surya A, Thakur GD, Baquilod M, Lee WJ, Bobogare A, Deniyage SL, Satimai W, Taleo G, Hung NM, Cotter C, Hsiang MS, Vestergaard LS, Gosling RD Malar. J. 2013 12 358
- Reactive case detection for malaria elimination: real-life experience from an ongoing program in Swaziland.
- Sturrock HJ, Novotny JM, Kunene S, Dlamini S, Zulu Z, Cohen JM, Hsiang MS, Greenhouse B, Gosling RD PLoS ONE 2013 8 5 e63830
- Targeting asymptomatic malaria infections: active surveillance in control and elimination.
- Sturrock HJ, Hsiang MS, Cohen JM, Smith DL, Greenhouse B, Bousema T, Gosling RD PLoS Med. 2013 10 6 e1001467
Chapter 5: Understanding Malaria. In A Prospectus on Malaria Elimination
Hsiang M, Panosian C, Dorsey G (2009). San Francisco, The Malaria Elimination Group (MEG)
Chapter 4: Bang for the Buck. In A Prospectus on Malaria Elimination
Kang JG, Basu S, Boyle C, Hsiang M, et al. (2009). San Francisco, The Malaria Elimination Group (MEG)
From Malaria Control to Elimination: A Revised National Malaria Strategy 2010-2015
Hsiang M (contributing author) (2010). Beijing: Ministry of Health, People's Republic of China
Honors & Awards
- Endowed Scholar in Pediatrics
Howchow Family Fund (2014)
- American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene Fellowship Award
Burroughs Wellcome Fund (2012)
- Melvin M. Grumbach Award for Excellence in Research by a UCSF Pediatric Fellow
- NIH/NIAID K23 Mentored Career Development Award
- Fellow Clinical Research Award
Society for Pediatric Research (2011)
- Fellowship Award
Pediatric Infectious Diseases Society (PIDS) (2008)
- Asia Pacific Malaria Elimination Network (APMEN) (2009)
- Pediatric Infectious Diseases Society (PDIS) (2009)
- Malaria Elimination Group (MEG) (2008)
- American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (ASTMH) (2006)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) (2005)