Margaret A. Phillips was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1959. She received her undergraduate degree in Biochemistry from the University of California, Davis (1981) and her PhD in Pharmaceutical Chemistry from the University of California, San Francisco (1988), where she was also a postdoctoral fellow in the Dept. of Biochemistry (1988-1992).
Dr. Phillips is currently a Professor in the Department of Pharmacology at UT Southwestern, where her research focuses on biochemistry and drug discovery in parasitic protozoa.
|Graduate School||University of California (1988)|
- Drug design in protozoan parasites
- Pyrimidine biosynthesis as a drug target in malarial parasites
- Regulation and function of polyamine biosynthesis in African trypanosomes
- Allosteric activation of trypanosomatid deoxyhypusine synthase by a catalytically dead paralog.
- Nguyen S, Jones DC, Wyllie S, Fairlamb AH, Phillips MA J. Biol. Chem. 2013 Mar
- Structure-Guided Lead Optimization of Triazolopyrimidine-Ring Substituents Identifies Potent Plasmodium falciparum Dihydroorotate Dehydrogenase Inhibitors with Clinical Candidate Potential.
- Coteron JM, Marco M, Esquivias J, Deng X, White KL, White J, Koltun M, El Mazouni F, Kokkonda S, Katneni K, Bhamidipati R, Shackleford DM, Angulo-Barturen I, Ferrer SB, Jime´nez-Di´az MB, Gamo FJ, Goldsmith EJ, Charman WN, Bathurst I, Floyd D, Matthews D, Burrows JN, Rathod PK, Charman SA, Phillips MA Journal of medicinal chemistry 2011 Jul 5540-61
- Structural plasticity of malaria dihydroorotate dehydrogenase allows selective binding of diverse chemical scaffolds.
- Deng X, Gujjar R, El Mazouni F, Kaminsky W, Malmquist NA, Goldsmith EJ, Rathod PK, Phillips MA J. Biol. Chem. 2009 Sep 284 39 26999-7009
- Regulated expression of an essential allosteric activator of polyamine biosynthesis in African trypanosomes
- Willert, E.K. and Phillips, M.A. PLoS pathogens October 2008 4 (10) e1000183
- Allosteric regulation of an essential trypanosome polyamine biosynthetic enzyme by a catalytically dead homolog
- Willert, E.K. and Phillips, M.A. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 2007 104 8275-8280
- Fluorine modulates species selectivity in the triazolopyrimidine class of Plasmodium falciparum dihydroorotate dehydrogenase inhibitors.
- Deng X, Kokkonda S, El Mazouni F, White J, Burrows JN, Kaminsky W, Charman SA, Matthews D, Rathod PK, Phillips MA J. Med. Chem. 2014 May
- Genetic validation of Aminoacyl tRNA synthetases as drug targets in Trypanosoma brucei.
- Kalidas S, Cestari I, Monnerat S, Li Q, Regmi S, Hasle N, Labaied M, Parsons M, Stuart K, Phillips MA Eukaryotic Cell 2014 Feb
- A multiple aminoacyl-tRNA synthetase complex that enhances tRNA-aminoacylation in African trypanosomes.
- Cestari I, Kalidas S, Monnerat S, Anupama A, Phillips MA, Stuart K Mol. Cell. Biol. 2013 Oct
- Product feedback regulation implicated in translational control of the Trypanosoma brucei S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase regulatory subunit prozyme.
- Xiao Y, Nguyen S, Kim SH, Volkov OA, Tu BP, Phillips MA Mol. Microbiol. 2013 Jun 88 5 846-61
- Asexual Populations of the Human Malaria Parasite, Plasmodium falciparum, Use a Two-Step Genomic Strategy to Acquire Accurate, Beneficial DNA Amplifications.
- Guler JL, Freeman DL, Ahyong V, Patrapuvich R, White J, Gujjar R, Phillips MA, Derisi J, Rathod PK PLoS Pathog. 2013 May 9 5 e1003375
Honors & Awards
- Medicines for Malaria Venture
Project of the Year (2010)
- Burroughs Wellcome Fund Scholars Award in Molecular Parasitology
- American Heart Association Established Investigator Award
- Burroughs Wellcome Fund, New Investigator Award in Molecular Parasitology
- American Chemical Society
- American Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- American Society of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics
- American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene