- Liberty University (2001), Biology
- Graduate School
- Baylor College of Medicine (2007), Molecular & Cell Biology
- Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia
- Prostate Cancer
- Surgical intervention for symptomatic benign prostatic hyperplasia is correlated with expression of the AP-1 transcription factor network.
- Lin-Tsai O, Clark PE, Miller NL, Fowke JH, Hameed O, Hayward SW, Strand DW Prostate 2014 May 74 6 669-79
- Deficiency in metabolic regulators PPAR? and PTEN cooperates to drive keratinizing squamous metaplasia in novel models of human tissue regeneration.
- Strand DW, DeGraff DJ, Jiang M, Sameni M, Franco OE, Love HD, Hayward WJ, Lin-Tsai O, Wang AY, Cates JM, Sloane BF, Matusik RJ, Hayward SW Am. J. Pathol. 2013 Feb 182 2 449-59
- PPAR? isoforms differentially regulate metabolic networks to mediate mouse prostatic epithelial differentiation.
- Strand DW, Jiang M, Murphy TA, Yi Y, Konvinse KC, Franco OE, Wang Y, Young JD, Hayward SW Cell Death Dis 2012 3 e361
- Perspectives on tissue interactions in development and disease.
- Strand DW, Franco OE, Basanta D, Anderson AR, Hayward SW Curr. Mol. Med. 2010 Feb 10 1 95-112
- Functional remodeling of benign human prostatic tissues in vivo by spontaneously immortalized progenitor and intermediate cells.
- Jiang M, Strand DW, Fernandez S, He Y, Yi Y, Birbach A, Qiu Q, Schmid J, Tang DG, Hayward SW Stem Cells 2010 Feb 28 2 344-56
- The many ways to make a luminal cell and a prostate cancer cell.
- Strand DW, Goldstein AS Endocr. Relat. Cancer 2015 Aug
- SOX2 expression in the developing, adult, as well as, diseased prostate.
- Yu X, Cates JM, Morrissey C, You C, Grabowska MM, Zhang J, DeGraff DJ, Strand DW, Franco OE, Lin-Tsai O, Hayward SW, Matusik RJ Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2014 Aug
- FOXA1 deletion in luminal epithelium causes prostatic hyperplasia and alteration of differentiated phenotype.
- DeGraff DJ, Grabowska MM, Case TC, Yu X, Herrick MK, Hayward WJ, Strand DW, Cates JM, Hayward SW, Gao N, Walter MA, Buttyan R, Yi Y, Kaestner KH, Matusik RJ Lab. Invest. 2014 Jul 94 7 726-39
- TGF-ß induction of FGF-2 expression in stromal cells requires integrated smad3 and MAPK pathways.
- Strand DW, Liang YY, Yang F, Barron DA, Ressler SJ, Schauer IG, Feng XH, Rowley DR Am J Clin Exp Urol 2014 2 3 239-48
- SPARCL1 suppresses metastasis in prostate cancer.
- Xiang Y, Qiu Q, Jiang M, Jin R, Lehmann BD, Strand DW, Jovanovic B, DeGraff DJ, Zheng Y, Yousif DA, Simmons CQ, Case TC, Yi J, Cates JM, Virostko J, He X, Jin X, Hayward SW, Matusik RJ, George AL, Yi Y Mol Oncol 2013 Dec 7 6 1019-30
Honors & Awards
- AUA Travel Award
Mentored training grant on the role of metabolism in prostate differentiation and disease (2013-2018)
- StarBrite VICTR award
Pilot funding to study the role of inflammation in BPH progression (2013-2014)
- SBUR Travel award and podium presentation
- NIH LRP award
Loan repayment program award (2010-2012)
- StarBrite VICTR award
Pilot funding to study the role of lipid metabolism in prostate cancer (2010-2011)
- DoD Postdoctoral Training Award
2 year fellowship to study the role of stomal-epithelial interactions in prostate cancer progression (2009-2011)
- SBUR travel award
- Society for Basic Urologic Research (2009)