Kathryn E. Dickerson, M.D., is an Assistant Instructor in the Department of Pediatrics, Division of Hematology and Oncology, and 2015 Translational Research Scholar in the UTSW Center for Translational Medicine. She earned her undergraduate degree in Biochemistry with a minor in Spanish from Indiana University. Before attending medical school, she completed a post-baccalaureate research training program at the NIH working in the laboratory of Dr. Lee Weinstein. She returned to Indiana University to earn her medical degree, working in the laboratory of Dr. Nadia Carlesso. She completed her pediatric residency training in an integrated research pathway at The Ohio State University/Nationwide Children's Hospital, working in the laboratory of Dr. Michael Caligiuri. Her clinical interest is pediatric hematology with an emphasis on bone marrow failure disorders and cancer predisposition. Her research interest is in the epigenetic regulation of myeloid development in models of acute myelogenous leukemia (AML), myeloproliferative disorders (MPD), and myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS). Dr. Dickerson conducts her research under the mentorship of Dr. Jian Xu of the Children's Research Institute.
- Medical School
- Indiana University School of Medicine (2011)
- Ohio State University/Nationwide Children's Hospital (2014), Pediatrics
- UT Southwestern/Children's Medical Center (2017), Pediatric Hematology/oncology
- Acute myelogenous leukemia
- Malignant transformation in inherited bone marrow failure (BMF) syndromes
- Myelodysplastic syndrome
- Myeloproliferative disorders
- In Situ Capture of Chromatin Interactions by Biotinylated dCas9.
- Liu X, Zhang Y, Chen Y, Li M, Zhou F, Li K, Cao H, Ni M, Liu Y, Gu Z, Dickerson KE, Xie S, Hon GC, Xuan Z, Zhang MQ, Shao Z, Xu J Cell 2017 Aug 170 5 1028-1043.e19
- Regulation of mitochondrial biogenesis in erythropoiesis by mTORC1-mediated protein translation.
- Liu X, Zhang Y, Ni M, Cao H, Signer RAJ, Li D, Li M, Gu Z, Hu Z, Dickerson KE, Weinberg SE, Chandel NS, DeBerardinis RJ, Zhou F, Shao Z, Xu J Nat. Cell Biol. 2017 Jun 19 6 626-638
- Eradicating acute myeloid leukemia in a Mll(PTD/wt):Flt3(ITD/wt) murine model: a path to novel therapeutic approaches for human disease.
- Bernot KM, Nemer JS, Santhanam R, Liu S, Zorko NA, Whitman SP, Dickerson KE, Zhang M, Yang X, McConnell KK, Ahmed EH, Muñoz MR, Siebenaler RF, Marcucci GG, Mundy-Bosse BL, Brook DL, Garman S, Dorrance AM, Zhang X, Zhang J, Lee RJ, Blum W, Caligiuri MA, Marcucci G Blood 2013 Nov 122 23 3778-83
- Towards personalized therapy in AML: In vivo benefit of targeting aberrant epigenetics in MLL-PTD-associated AML.
- Bernot KM, Siebenaler RF, Whitman SP, Zorko NA, Marcucci GG, Santhanam R, Ahmed EH, Ngangana M, McConnell KK, Nemer JS, Brook DL, Kulp SK, Chen CS, Frankhouser D, Yan P, Bundschuh R, Zhang X, Dorrance AM, Dickerson K, Jarjoura D, Blum W, Marcucci G, Caligiuri MA Leukemia 2013 May
- Central nervous system imprinting of the G protein G(s)alpha and its role in metabolic regulation.
- Chen M, Wang J, Dickerson KE, Kelleher J, Xie T, Gupta D, Lai EW, Pacak K, Gavrilova O, Weinstein LS Cell Metab. 2009 Jun 9 6 548-55
- G(s)alpha deficiency in skeletal muscle leads to reduced muscle mass, fiber-type switching, and glucose intolerance without insulin resistance or deficiency.
- Chen M, Feng HZ, Gupta D, Kelleher J, Dickerson KE, Wang J, Hunt D, Jou W, Gavrilova O, Jin JP, Weinstein LS Am. J. Physiol., Cell Physiol. 2009 Apr 296 4 C930-40
Honors & Awards
- Children's Cancer Fund "Call for Cure" Award Recipient
- Hyundai Hope on Wheels Young Investigator Award
- Certificate in Academic Medicine
Nationwide Children's Hospital (2014)
- Certificate in Global Health
Nationwide Children's Hospital (2014)
- Community Service Award
Indiana University School of Medicine (2011)
- E. Jane Brownley Award
Department of Pediatrics, Indiana University School of Medicine (2011)
- Member, Gold Humanism Honorary Society
- Red Shoes Award
Riley Hospital for Children (2010)
- Post-Baccalaureate Intramural Research Training Award
National Institutes of Health/National Institute of Diabetes, Digestive, and Kidney disorders, Dr. Lee Weinstein Laboratory (2006)
- Member, Phi Beta Kappa
- American Society of Clinical Oncology/American Society of Pediatric Hematology Oncology (2014)
- The American Society of Hematology (2014)
- American Association for Cancer Research (2012)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (2011)