I am currently working as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Radiology and Attending Cardiothoracic Radiologist at University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX. I am board certified in radiology from India (DMRD, DNB), UK (FRCR), and USA (DABR). The overarching theme of my academic career has been the application of innovative multimodality imaging methods for cardiothoracic, emergency, and cancer imaging to enhance clinical care. Since joining University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center Department of Radiology in July 2014, I devote 80% of my time to clinical activities and the remaining time to research, educational, and administrative pursuits. My clinical activities include the entire spectrum of cardiothoracic examinations, notably conventional radiology, CT, and MR imaging of emergency, oncologic and ILD related chest radiology and cardiac radiology. As UT Southwestern and Parkland hospitals are tertiary care facilities, cases tend to be quite complex and may comprise multimorbidity, co-morbidity in patients with primary lung and heart disorders, complex systemic disorders, and long term sequelae in medical therapy. Although, I have maintained a broad interest in all aspects of cardiothoracic imaging in my teaching and educational leadership roles, my research has increasingly been focused on the imaging of cancer imaging, emergency radiology, airway imaging, and non-invasive cardiovascular imaging.
My clinical expertise and innovations in the imaging of the complex congenital heart disease (CHD) and cancer imaging has been achieved by successfully combining my relevant original research and teaching to enhance the ability of radiologists to diagnose a variety of abnormalities characterizing complex congenital cardiac diseases like malposition of the branch pulmonary arteries, anomalous origin of one pulmonary artery from aorta, and imaging of various malignancies like leiomyosarcomas, liposarcoma, lymphoma, and intrathoracic synovial sarcomas. I apply these findings to improve understanding of imaging of patients with CHD, malignancies and vascular imaging to allow for individualized patient treatment. Overall, my research efforts have been internationally recognized through publications, numerous scholarly reviews, and invited book chapters.
Since 2012, I have mentored many residents and fellows in numerous scientific projects, many of which have resulted in articles published in prestigious imaging journals. Locally, as an organizer of cardiothoracic interesting case conference, I have contributed to the education of trainees and radiologists at UT Southwestern. As a current member of the Thoracic Tumor Board, I work closely with Oncologists as it relates to teaching and management of thoracic malignancy patients. For many years, I have served as reviewer for numerous top rated international scientific journals in the field of radiology, such as Radiology, European Radiology, Emergency Radiology, International Journal of Cardiovascular Imaging, Clinical Imaging and Atherosclerosis. On a national level, I serve as an Associate Editor for Current Problems in Diagnostic Radiology journal, editorial board member of SM Radiology, Journal of Advances in Radiology and Medical Imaging which are peer reviewed journals. I am also an Academic Editor of Medicine/Associate Editor, the journal which is ranked amongst the top 15 in the field of Medicine. Besides, I serve as a publication committee member of Association of University Radiologists/ACER and ARRS Item Writing Committee. On the international level, I have published numerous educational review articles and book chapters several of which are considered as the reference in the field. I also serve as invited lecturer for international conferences like Indian Radiological Imaging Association.
- Medical School
- Government Medical College - Aurangabad (1999)
- Government Medical College - Aurangabad (2001), Diagnostic Radiology
- B.Y.L. Nair Hospital (2004), Diagnostic Radiology
- Diwanchand Satyapal Aggarwal Imaging Center (2006), Diagnostic Radiology
- Dana Farber Cancer Institute (2011), Cancer Imaging
- Dana Farber Cancer Institute (2012), Cancer Imaging
- Brigham & Women's Hospital (2013), Non-invasive Cardiovascular Imaging
- Brigham & Women's Hospital (2014), Emergency Radiology
- Airway Imaging
- Cardiopulmonary Infections
- Cardiothoracic Emergencies
- Cardiovascular Support Devices Imaging
- Congenital Heart Disease
- Coronary Artery Imaging
- CT Applications in Electrophysiology
- Dual Energy and Spectral CT
- Esophagus Imaging
- HOCM Imaging
- ILD Imaging
- Lung Transplantation
- Lung Tumors
- MRI Applications in the Chest
- Non- Invasive Cardiovascular Imaging
- Pulmonary Artery Imaging
- Pulmonary Hypertension
- TAVI Imaging
- MDCT Imaging of the Stomach: Advances and Applications.
- Nagpal P, Prakash A, Pradhan GS, Vidholia A, Nagpal N, Saboo SS, Kuehn DM, Khandelwal A Br J Radiol 2016 Oct 20160412
- Artifacts at Cardiac CT: Physics and Solutions.
- Kalisz K, Buethe J, Saboo SS, Abbara S, Halliburton S, Rajiah P Radiographics 2016 Oct 160079
- CT pulmonary angiography-based scoring system to predict the prognosis of acute pulmonary embolism.
- Kumamaru KK, Saboo SS, Aghayev A, Cai P, Quesada CG, George E, Hussain Z, Cai T, Rybicki FJ J Cardiovasc Comput Tomogr 2016 Aug
- Update on the Role of Cardiac Magnetic Resonance in Acquired Nonischemic Cardiomyopathies.
- Rajiah P, Raza S, Saboo SS, Ghoshhajra B, Abbara S J Thorac Imaging 2016 Jul
- Implementation and Performance of Automated Software for Computing Right-to-Left Ventricular Diameter Ratio From Computed Tomography Pulmonary Angiography Images.
- Kumamaru KK, George E, Aghayev A, Saboo SS, Khandelwal A, Rodríguez-López S, Cai T, Jiménez-Carretero D, Estépar RS, Ledesma-Carbayo MJ, González G, Rybicki FJ J Comput Assist Tomogr 2016 Mar
- Esophagectomy and Gastric Pull-through Procedures: Surgical Techniques, Imaging Features, and Potential Complications.
- Flanagan JC, Batz R, Saboo SS, Nordeck SM, Abbara S, Kernstine K, Vasan V Radiographics 2016 Jan-Feb 36 1 107-21
- Upper Extremity Runoff: Pearls and Pitfalls in Computed Tomography Angiography and Magnetic Resonance Angiography.
- Nagpal P, Maller V, Garg G, Hedgire S, Khandelwal A, Kalva S, Steigner ML, Saboo SS Curr Probl Diagn Radiol 2016 Jan
- Multidetector Computed Tomography Features in Differentiating Exophytic Renal Angiomyolipoma from Retroperitoneal Liposarcoma: A Strobe-Compliant Observational Study.
- Wang Q, Juan YH, Li Y, Xie JJ, Liu H, Huang H, Liu Z, Zheng J, Saboo US, Saboo SS, Liang C Medicine (Baltimore) 2015 Sep 94 37 e1521
- Modern imaging techniques: applications in the management of acute aortic pathologies.
- Nagpal P, Khandelwal A, Saboo SS, Bathla G, Steigner ML, Rybicki FJ Postgrad Med J 2015 Aug 91 1078 449-62
- Anomalous Origin of One Pulmonary Artery Branch From the Aorta: Role of MDCT Angiography.
- Liu H, Juan YH, Chen J, Xie Z, Wang Q, Zhang X, Liang C, Huang H, Kwong RY, Saboo SS AJR Am J Roentgenol 2015 May 204 5 979-87
Honors & Awards
- 3rd Best Poster Award for "Update on MR Imaging of Muscular Dystrophies
Society of Computed Body Tomography & Magnetic Resonance Annual Meeting (SCBT-MR) (2016-2016)
- AUR Academic Faculty Development Program
Association of University Radiologists 64th Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA (2016-2016)
- Cum Laude
Radiological Society of North America (2014)
- Magna Cum Laude
American Society of Emergency Radiology (2013-2013)
- Outstanding Service and Invaluable Contribution as a Best Cancer Imaging Fellow
Radiology department of Brigham and Womens Hospital / Dana Farber Cancer Institute, and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA (2011-2011)
- Fellow of the Royal College of Radiologists (FRCR)
Royal College of Radiologists, London, UK (2007)
- Certificate of Honors
Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University, Aurangabad, India (1998-1998)
- American College of Radiology (2015)
- Association of University Radiologists (2015)
- Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance (2015)
- American Society of Emergency Radiology (2013-2015)
- Society of Cardiovascular CT (SCCT) (2013)
- Society of Computed Body Tomography & Magnetic Resonance (SCBT-MR) (2013-2015)
- American Roentgen Ray Society (2010)
- European Society of Radiology (2010)
- Radiological Society of North America (2010)
- The Royal College of Radiologists (2007)
- Indian Radiological and Imaging Association (2004)