Dr. Steven P. Pakes received his DVM degree and his PhD degree in Veterinary Pathology from The Ohio State University. After an eight-year research position in the US Army Veterinary Corps, he served as a faculty member in the Ohio State College of Veterinary Medicine as a director of the postdoctoral program in laboratory animal medicine.
In 1972 he became Director of the Animal Resources Center and Chairman of the Division of Comparative Medicine at UT Southwestern. He established a postdoctoral program in comparative medicine at UT Southwestern, where he continues to serve as Professor, Department of Pathology.
Dr. Pakes has served as a consultant in laboratory animal science to numerous academic institutions, pharmaceutical companies, research institutions and federal laboratories. He has been active in numerous professional and scholarly organizations, including American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS), Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care, International (AAALAC), America College of Laboratory Animal Medicine (ACLAM), American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA), Institute of Laboratory Animal Research (ILAR), and the International Council for Laboratory Animal Science (ICLAS), for which he currently serves as President. He serves on or has served on several committees and boards for these organizations. Among his honors are the AALAS Griffin Award, Charles River Prize and Honorary Membership in the Spanish Academy of Veterinary Sciences. His research interests include the development of diagnostic tests and vaccines for common laboratory animal diseases. He is the author or co-author of more than 60 publications in refereed scientific journals.
- Graduate School
- Ohio State University-Main Campus (1960)
- Graduate School
- Ohio State University-Main Campus (1972)
- Diseases of laboratory animals that complicate research
Honors & Awards
- Foreign Academic, Real Academia de Ciencias Veterinarias, Spain
Contributions to international laboratory animal science (1998)
- AALAS Griffin Award
Contributions to laboratory animal science (1991)
- Charles River Prize
Contributions to laboratory animal medicine (1991)
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine
Contributions to veterinary medicine (1988)
- AALAS Research Award
Best scintific paper in COMPARATIVE MEDICINE (1983)
- American Association Laboratory Animal Science
- American Society for Laboratory Animal Practitioners
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- International Council for Laboratory Animal Science
- Scientists Center for Animal Welfare