Kellie Rodriguez is originally from Australia and received her Bachelors and Masters in Nursing Science from La Trobe University and Deakin University, Melbourne Australia, respectively. She will complete her Executive Health M.B.A. at the University of Miami in December.
A stepfather with Type 1 diabetes and the ability to provide nursing care across the lifespan stimulated her to complete further university studies in diabetes education and embark upon career long ambition of providing collaborative care to improve health outcomes for people with diabetes.
Ms. Rodriguez has worked as a director of diabetes education services for more than 15 years, with specific clinical interests in Type 1 diabetes, insulin management, gestational diabetes, insulin pump, and glucose sensor technology.
Ms. Rodriguez moved to Dallas to join UT Southwestern as Director of Diabetes Education and Community Engagement, as part of the Global Diabetes Program, to assist in directing and developing effective models of diabetes care and education delivery across the Parkland’s Health & Hospital System and Dallas community.
Ms. Rodriguez has always been active within local and national professional organizations for diabetes education, this year serving as Chair of the National Certification Board for Diabetes Educators. Ms. Rodriguez’s personal interests include her husband and three young children, personal fitness, social gatherings with friends, and enjoying the outdoors.
- Establishing effective models of diabetes care and education delivery
- Glycemic variability versus A1c
- Inpatient management of diabetes
- Optimizing patient access, engagement and motivation
- Reimbursement strategies for diabetes self-management education
- Intrinsic and extrinsic factors affecting patient engagement in diabetes self-management: perspectives of a certified diabetes educator.
- Rodriguez KM Clin Ther 2013 Feb 35 2 170-8
- National Certification Board of Diabetes Educators (NCBDE) (2014-2015)
- North Texas Local Newtworking Group (as part of AADE) (2014)
- National Certification Board of Diabetes Educators (NCBDE) (2011-2015)
- Greater Miami Association of Diabetes Educators (as part of AADE) (2008-2010)
- Greater Miami Association of Diabetes Educators (as part of AADE) (2007-2010)
- American Association of Diabetes Educators (AADE) (2006)
- Greater Miami Association of Diabetes Educators (as part of AADE) (2006-2014)