Ram Mani, Ph.D. is an Assistant Professor with a joint appointment in the Departments of Pathology and Urology, and is a member of the Harold C. Simmons Comprehensive Cancer Center, UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas. He is a recipient of the K99/R00 Pathway to Independence award from the National Institutes of Health and a Young Investigator Award from the Prostate Cancer Foundation. Before starting his research laboratory in 2014, he was a Research Investigator (2011-2014) in the Department of Pathology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. His postdoctoral training (2007-2011) is in the area of prostate cancer genomics and epigenetics in Prof. Arul Chinnaiyan’s research group, University of Michigan. His doctoral research from Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bangalore is in the area of human molecular genetics.
The overall focus of Dr. Mani’s research group is to study the molecular genetic and epigenetic events associated with cancer development, with the underlying aim of translating this knowledge in to novel diagnostic, prognostic and therapeutic strategies. His research team members employ integrative approaches that include cell-based assays, studies using animal models, analysis of human cancer specimens, next-generation sequencing and bioinformatics to identify (1) the DNA damage and repair pathways that mediate cancer-specific recurrent genomic rearrangements and resistance to targeted therapies, and (2) the functional consequences of epigenetic and transcriptional deregulation in cancer development. These studies will serve as the basis for early cancer detection and therapeutic targeting. The Mani research laboratory is located in the seventh floor of the NB building.
- Graduate School
- Madurai Kamaraj University (2000), Integrated Biology
- Graduate School
- Jawaharlal Nehru Centre Asr (2007), Molecular Genetics
- Epigenetic mechanisms underlying cancer progression
- ETS gene fusions in prostate cancer
- Genomic rearrangements in cancer
- Transcriptional regulation in prostate cancer
- Inflammation-Induced Oxidative Stress Mediates Gene Fusion Formation in Prostate Cancer.
- Mani RS, Amin MA, Li X, Kalyana-Sundaram S, Veeneman BA, Wang L, Ghosh A, Aslam A, Ramanand SG, Rabquer BJ, Kimura W, Tran M, Cao X, Roychowdhury S, Dhanasekaran SM, Palanisamy N, Sadek HA, Kapur P, Koch AE, Chinnaiyan AM Cell Rep 2016 Dec 17 10 2620-2631
- The emerging role of speckle-type POZ protein (SPOP) in cancer development.
- Mani RS Drug Discov. Today 2014 Jul
- Coordinated regulation of polycomb group complexes through microRNAs in cancer.
- Cao Q, Mani RS, Ateeq B, Dhanasekaran SM, Asangani IA, Prensner JR, Kim JH, Brenner JC, Jing X, Cao X, Wang R, Li Y, Dahiya A, Wang L, Pandhi M, Lonigro RJ, Wu YM, Tomlins SA, Palanisamy N, Qin Z, Yu J, Maher CA, Varambally S, Chinnaiyan AM Cancer Cell 2011 Aug 20 2 187-99
- TMPRSS2-ERG-mediated feed-forward regulation of wild-type ERG in human prostate cancers.
- Mani RS, Iyer MK, Cao Q, Brenner JC, Wang L, Ghosh A, Cao X, Lonigro RJ, Tomlins SA, Varambally S, Chinnaiyan AM Cancer Res. 2011 Aug 71 16 5387-92
- Triggers for genomic rearrangements: insights into genomic, cellular and environmental influences.
- Mani RS, Chinnaiyan AM Nat. Rev. Genet. 2010 Dec 11 12 819-29
- An integrated network of androgen receptor, polycomb, and TMPRSS2-ERG gene fusions in prostate cancer progression.
- Yu J, Yu J, Mani RS, Cao Q, Brenner CJ, Cao X, Wang X, Wu L, Li J, Hu M, Gong Y, Cheng H, Laxman B, Vellaichamy A, Shankar S, Li Y, Dhanasekaran SM, Morey R, Barrette T, Lonigro RJ, Tomlins SA, Varambally S, Qin ZS, Chinnaiyan AM Cancer Cell 2010 May 17 5 443-54
- Induced chromosomal proximity and gene fusions in prostate cancer.
- Mani RS, Tomlins SA, Callahan K, Ghosh A, Nyati MK, Varambally S, Palanisamy N, Chinnaiyan AM Science 2009 Nov 326 5957 1230
- Genomic loss of microRNA-101 leads to overexpression of histone methyltransferase EZH2 in cancer.
- Varambally S, Cao Q, Mani RS, Shankar S, Wang X, Ateeq B, Laxman B, Cao X, Jing X, Ramnarayanan K, Brenner JC, Yu J, Kim JH, Han B, Tan P, Kumar-Sinha C, Lonigro RJ, Palanisamy N, Maher CA, Chinnaiyan AM Science 2008 Dec 322 5908 1695-9
- Functional Analysis of a Novel Connexin30 Mutation in a Large Family with Hearing Loss, Pesplanus, Ichthyosis, Cutaneous Nodules, and Keratoderma.
- Pandey N, Xavier DF, Chatterjee A, Mani RS, Hiremagalore R, Tharakan A, Rajashekhar B, Anand A Ann. Hum. Genet. 2015 Nov
- TRIP13 promotes error-prone nonhomologous end joining and induces chemoresistance in head and neck cancer.
- Banerjee R, Russo N, Liu M, Basrur V, Bellile E, Palanisamy N, Scanlon CS, van Tubergen E, Inglehart RC, Metwally T, Mani RS, Yocum A, Nyati MK, Castilho RM, Varambally S, Chinnaiyan AM, D'Silva NJ Nat Commun 2014 5 4527
Honors & Awards
- American Cancer Society (ACS-IRG) New Investigator Award in Cancer Research
- NIH Pathway to Independence (PI) Award (K99/R00)
- AACR-Prostate Cancer Foundation Scholar-in-Training Award
- AACR‑Aflac, Incorporated Scholar-in-Training Award
- Prostate Cancer Foundation Young Investigator Award