Pamela J. Okada, M.D., F.A.A.P., is board certified in Pediatrics and Pediatric Emergency Medicine. Dr. Okada received her medical degree from Tulane University School of Medicine in 1990, and completed her pediatric residency at Harbor-UCLA Medical School (1990-1993), and her pediatric emergency medicine fellowship at UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas (1993-1996). She is a member of the American Academy of Pediatrics, American College of Emergency Physicians, and Society for Academic Emergency Medicine. Dr. Okada is currently an Associate Professor of Pediatrics at UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, and the Medical Director of the Plano Children's Emergency Department. Her research interests include areas in pediatric head injury and neurologic outcome.
- Medical School
- Tulane University School of Medicine (1990)
- Harbor - UCLA Medical Center (1993), Pediatrics
- Harbor - UCLA Medical Center (1994), Pediatric Emergency Medicine
- Children's Health Dallas (1996), Pediatric Emergency Medicine
- Graduate School
- UT Southwestern Medical School (2011), Clinical Science
- Pediatric trauma outcomes research
- Traumatic brain injury
- Therapeutic Hypothermia after In-Hospital Cardiac Arrest in Children.
- Moler FW, Silverstein FS, Holubkov R, Slomine BS, Christensen JR, Nadkarni VM, Meert KL, Browning B, Pemberton VL, Page K, Gildea MR, Scholefield BR, Shankaran S, Hutchison JS, Berger JT, Ofori-Amanfo G, Newth CJ, Topjian A, Bennett KS, Koch JD, Pham N, Chanani NK, Pineda JA, Harrison R, Dalton HJ, Alten J, Schleien CL, Goodman DM, Zimmerman JJ, Bhalala US, Schwarz AJ, Porter MB, Shah S, Fink EL, McQuillen P, Wu T, Skellett S, Thomas NJ, Nowak JE, Baines PB, Pappachan J, Mathur M, Lloyd E, van der Jagt EW, Dobyns EL, Meyer MT, Sanders RC, Clark AE, Dean JM N. Engl. J. Med. 2017 01 376 4 318-329
- Interpretation of Cerebrospinal Fluid White Blood Cell Counts in Young Infants With a Traumatic Lumbar Puncture.
- Lyons TW, Cruz AT, Freedman SB, Neuman MI, Balamuth F, Mistry RD, Mahajan P, Aronson PL, Thomson JE, Pruitt CM, Shah SS, Nigrovic LE Ann Emerg Med 2016 Dec
- Pediatric Fractures Secondary to Trampoline Injury: A Prospective Analysis of User Circumstances and Injury Severity with Respect to American Academy of Pediatrics Policy Statement
- Ho C, Phelps J, Evans N, Okada P, Wilson P. J Pediatr Emerg Intensive Care Med 2016 3 1-10
- Outpatient Management of Young Febrile Infants With Urinary Tract Infections.
- Schnadower D, Kuppermann N, Macias CG, Freedman SB, Agrawal D, Mao J, Dayan PS Pediatr Emerg Care 2014 Aug
- Controlled clinical comparison of new pediatric medium with adsorbent polymeric beads (PF Plus) versus charcoal-containing PF medium in the BacT/alert blood culture system.
- Doern CD, Mirrett S, Halstead D, Abid J, Okada P, Reller LB J. Clin. Microbiol. 2014 Jun 52 6 1898-900
- Lorazepam vs diazepam for pediatric status epilepticus: a randomized clinical trial.
- Chamberlain JM, Okada P, Holsti M, Mahajan P, Brown KM, Vance C, Gonzalez V, Lichenstein R, Stanley R, Brousseau DC, Grubenhoff J, Zemek R, Johnson DW, Clemons TE, Baren J JAMA 2014 Apr 23-30 311 16 1652-60
- Comparison of hypothermia and normothermia after severe traumatic brain injury in children (Cool Kids): a phase 3, randomised controlled trial.
- Adelson PD, Wisniewski SR, Beca J, Brown SD, Bell M, Muizelaar JP, Okada P, Beers SR, Balasubramani GK, Hirtz D Lancet Neurol 2013 Jun 12 6 546-53
- A randomized clinical trial of recombinant human hyaluronidase-facilitated subcutaneous versus intravenous rehydration in mild to moderately dehydrated children in the emergency department.
- Spandorfer PR, Mace SE, Okada PJ, Simon HK, Allen CH, Spiro DM, Friend K, Harb G, Lebel F Clin Ther 2012 Nov 34 11 2232-45
- Can novice sonographers accurately locate an endotracheal tube with a saline-filled cuff in a cadaver model? A pilot study
- Uya A, Spear D, Patel K, Okada PJ, Sheeran P, McCreight A Academic Emergency Medicine 2012 19 3 361-364
- Sterile Cerebrospinal Fluid Pleocytosis in Young Febrile Infants With Urinary Tract Infections.
- Schnadower D, Kuppermann N, Macias CG, Freedman SB, Baskin MN, Ishimine P, Scribner C, Okada P, Beach H, Bulloch B, Agrawal D, Saunders M, Sutherland DM, Blackstone MM, Sarnaik A, McManemy J, Brent A, Bennett J, Plymale JM, Solari P, Mann DJ, Dayan PS Archives of pediatrics & adolescent medicine 2011 Jul 165 7 635-41
The Adolescent Pregnant Patient. In Pediatric Emergency Medicine: Just the Facts, 2nd edition, G. Strange, W. Ahrens, R. Schafermeyer, R. Wiebe, H. Prendergast, V. Dobiesz, eds.
Okada PJ, Rodriguez AM, Sheffield JS (2012). McGraw-Hill
Dysmenorrhea and Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding. In Pediatric Emergency Medicine: Just the Facts, 2nd edition, G. Strange, W. Ahrens, R. Schafermeyer, R. Wiebe, H. Prendergast, V. Dobiesz, eds.
Okada PJ, Uribe M (2012). McGraw-Hill
Submersion Injury. In Rudolph's Pediatrics, 22nd edition, C. Rudolph, A. Rudolph, G. Lister, A. Gershon, eds.
Okada PJ, Baker MD (2011). McGraw-Hill
Nontraumatic Surgical Emergencies. In APLS: The Pediatric Emergency Medicine Resource, 5th edition, American Academy of Pediatrics, American College of Emergency Physicians, eds.
Okada PJ, Hicks B (2011). Jones & Bartlett Learning
Approach to the Acutely Ill Patient: Seizures. In Pediatric Emergency Medicine, 1st edition, J. Baren, S. Rothrock, J. Brennan, L. Brown, eds.
Marr J, Okada PJ (2008). Philadelphia, Saunders Elsevier
Reduction of Common Joint Dislocations and Subluxations. In Textbook of Pediatric Emergency Procedures, 2nd edition, C. King, F. Henretig, B. King, J. Loiselle, R. Ruddy, J. Wiley, eds.
Johnson FC, Okada PJ (2008). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
Gastrointestinal Emergencies. In Current Diagnosis & Treatment Pediatric Emergency Medicine, C. Stone, R. Humphries, D. Drigala, M. Stephan, eds.
Okada PJ, Minkes RK (2015). McGraw-Hill Education; 413-442.
Honors & Awards
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- Co-Director Pediatric Trauma Course, Istanbul Turkey (2012)
- Pediatric Society of Greater Dallas, Editorial Board (2010)
- American College of Emergency Physicians (2003)
- Dallas County Medical Society (2003)
- Texas Pediatric Society, Section of Emergency Medicine and Child Abuse (2003)
- Society of Academic Emergency Medicine (1998-2006)
- Ambulatory Pediatric Association (1997)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (1997)