Jerry Y. Niederkorn is Professor and Vice Chair of Research in the Department of Ophthalmology, as well as Chair of the Immunology Graduate Program at UT Southwestern. He has an active immunology research program and mentors Ph.D. students, all of whom are engaged in eye research.
Dr. Niederkorn’s research activities have focused on:
- The immunology of corneal transplantation;
- The role of the immune system in controlling the growth and metastasis of intraocular melanoma;
- Vaccination studies on Acanthamoeba keratitis; and
- Immune regulation in the eye.
- Graduate School
- Central Missouri State Univers (1972), Biology
- Graduate School
- University of Arkansas-Fayette (1977), Zoology
- Biology, Immunology and Therapy of Acanthamoeba Keratitis
- Immunobiology of Autoimmune Dry Eye Disease
- Immunobiology of Corneal Allografts
- Immunological Modulation of Ocular Tumor Metastases
- Transplant and Tumor Rejection Processes within the Eye
- CD8(+) cells regulate the T helper-17 response in an experimental murine model of Sjögren syndrome.
- Zhang X, Schaumburg CS, Coursey TG, Siemasko KF, Volpe EA, Gandhi NB, Li DQ, Niederkorn JY, Stern ME, Pflugfelder SC, de Paiva CS Mucosal Immunol 2014 Mar 7 2 417-27
- IFN-? blocks CD4+CD25+ Tregs and abolishes immune privilege of minor histocompatibility mismatched corneal allografts.
- Cunnusamy K, Niederkorn JY Am. J. Transplant. 2013 Dec 13 12 3076-84
- Allergic Conjunctivitis Renders CD4(+) T Cells Resistant to T Regulatory Cells and Exacerbates Corneal Allograft Rejection.
- Reyes NJ, Chen PW, Niederkorn JY Am. J. Transplant. 2013 Mar
- New twists to an old story: novel concepts in the pathogenesis of allergic eye disease.
- Saban DR, Calder V, Kuo CH, Reyes NJ, Dartt DA, Ono SJ, Niederkorn JY Curr. Eye Res. 2013 Mar 38 3 317-30
- Epigenetic regulation of CXCR4 expression by the ocular microenvironment.
- Li H, Niederkorn JY, Sadegh L, Mellon J, Chen PW Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2013 Jan 54 1 234-43
- Development, alteration and real time dynamics of conjunctiva-associated lymphoid tissue.
- Siebelmann S, Gehlsen U, Hüttmann G, Koop N, Bölke T, Gebert A, Stern ME, Niederkorn JY, Steven P PLoS ONE 2013 8 12 e82355
- Corneal transplantation and immune privilege.
- Niederkorn JY Int. Rev. Immunol. 2013 32 1 57-67
- IFN-?-independent intraocular tumor rejection is mediated by a macrophage-dependent process that leaves the eye intact.
- Coursey TG, Chen PW, Niederkorn JY J. Leukoc. Biol. 2012 Nov 92 5 939-50
- Autoantibodies contribute to the immunopathogenesis of experimental dry eye disease.
- Stern ME, Schaumburg CS, Siemasko KF, Gao J, Wheeler LA, Grupe DA, De Paiva CS, Calder VL, Calonge M, Niederkorn JY, Pflugfelder SC Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2012 Apr 53 4 2062-75
- Role of IFN-? in the establishment of anterior chamber-associated immune deviation (ACAID)-induced CD8+ T regulatory cells.
- Paunicka K, Chen PW, Niederkorn JY J. Leukoc. Biol. 2012 Mar 91 3 475-83
Honors & Awards
Royal C. Miller Chair in Age-Related Macular Degeneration Research (2011)
- Vice Chair, Research
Department of Ophthalmology (2011)
- Visiting Professor
Zhongshan Ophthalmic Center, Sun Yat-sen University, (2007)
George A. and Nancy P. Shutt Professorship in Medical Science (1995)
3 NIH R01 Research Grants (0)
NIH CORE Grant (0)
- Editorial Board , American Journal of Transplantation
- Editorial Board, Current Eye Research
- Editorial Board, Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences
- Immunology Graduate Program