Dr. Mirtsching is from Dallas, Texas. Following his graduate training, he was in private practice in Internal Medicine, Hematology, and Medical Oncology in Dallas until 2013. He managed a clinical research program as part of his private practice. He has unique experience having practiced as both a specialist as well as a generalist. He returned to UTSW in 2013 in the Division of General Internal Medicine. His interests include cancer screening and prevention, hypertension, diabetes, and lipid management. He enjoys running, home improvement, and outdoor projects.
|Medical School||University of Texas Medical School at Houston (1987)|
|Residency||UT Southwestern Medical Center (1990), Internal Medicine|
|Fellowship||UT Southwestern Medical Center (1993), Hematology & Oncology|
- A phase II study of weekly nanoparticle albumin-bound paclitaxel with or without trastuzumab in metastatic breast cancer.
- Mirtsching B, Cosgriff T, Harker G, Keaton M, Chidiac T, Min M Clin. Breast Cancer 2011 Apr 11 2 121-8
- Phase III study comparing gemcitabine plus cetuximab versus gemcitabine in patients with advanced pancreatic adenocarcinoma: Southwest Oncology Group-directed intergroup trial S0205.
- Philip PA, Benedetti J, Corless CL, Wong R, O'Reilly EM, Flynn PJ, Rowland KM, Atkins JN, Mirtsching BC, Rivkin SE, Khorana AA, Goldman B, Fenoglio-Preiser CM, Abbruzzese JL, Blanke CD J. Clin. Oncol. 2010 Aug 28 22 3605-10
- Comparison of darbepoetin alfa dosed weekly (QW) vs. extended dosing schedule (EDS) in the treatment of anemia in patients receiving multicycle chemotherapy in a randomized, phase 2, open-label trial.
- Schwartzberg L, Burkes R, Mirtsching B, Rearden T, Silberstein P, Yee L, Inamoto A, Lillie T BMC Cancer 2010 10 581
- Neutropenic events in community practices reduced by first and subsequent cycle pegfilgrastim use.
- Ozer H, Mirtsching B, Rader M, Luedke S, Noga SJ, Ding B, Dreiling L Oncologist 2007 Apr 12 4 484-94
- Multicenter phase II and translational study of cetuximab in metastatic colorectal carcinoma refractory to irinotecan, oxaliplatin, and fluoropyrimidines.
- Lenz HJ, Van Cutsem E, Khambata-Ford S, Mayer RJ, Gold P, Stella P, Mirtsching B, Cohn AL, Pippas AW, Azarnia N, Tsuchihashi Z, Mauro DJ, Rowinsky EK J. Clin. Oncol. 2006 Oct 24 30 4914-21
- Conjunctival involvement with T-cell prolymphocytic leukemia: report of a case and review of the literature.
- Lee SS, Robinson MR, Morris JC, Mirtsching BC, Shen D, Chan CC Surv Ophthalmol 2004 Sep-Oct 49 5 525-36
- Assessment of hematologic effects and fatigue in cancer patients with chemotherapy-induced anemia given darbepoetin alfa every two weeks.
- Vadhan-Raj S, Mirtsching B, Charu V, Terry D, Rossi G, Tomita D, McGuire WP J Support Oncol 2003 Jul-Aug 1 2 131-8
- Every-2-week darbepoetin alfa is comparable to rHuEPO in treating chemotherapy-induced anemia. Results of a combined analysis.
- Mirtsching B, Charu V, Vadhan-Raj S, Colowick AB, Rossi G, Tomita D, McGuire WP Oncology (Williston Park, N.Y.) 2002 Oct 16 10 Suppl 11 31-6
- Adrenal insufficiency and stage D carcinoma of the prostate.
- Mirtsching BC, Freeman DA South. Med. J. 1992 Feb 85 2 196-7
Honors & Awards
- Alpha Omega Alpha
Medical Honor Society (1987)
- Phi Beta Kappa
Honor Society (1983)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (1993)
- American Medical Association (1987)
- Dallas County Medical Society (1987)
- Texas Medical Association (1987)