Dr. Nivedita Patni received her medical degree from All-India Institute of Medical Sciences in India, and completed her pediatric residency at Miami Children’s Hospital before coming to UT Southwestern Medical Center for Pediatric Endocrinology fellowship. Her research interests are focused towards lipodystrophy and genetic dyslipidemias. She has described a novel syndrome of generalized lipodystrophy associated with pilocytic astrocytoma, which was recently published in Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. She continues her research work at the Center for Human Nutrition at UT Southwestern Medical Center to determine the etiology of this syndrome. She is also working on determining genetic basis of lipid disorders in children and investigating the genotype-phenotype relationships in these patients. She designed a study to determine Genetic Bases of type 1 hyperlipoproteinemia (T1HLP) and received a Service Package Grant from the Center for Translational Medicine at UTSW Medical Center, Dallas, Texas. She is also spearheading a clinical trial to evaluate the Efficacy of Orlistat for the Treatment of T1HLP.
- Medical School
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences, India (2008)
- Miami Children's Hospital (2013), Pediatrics
- UT Southwestern Medical Center/Children's Health Dallas (2016), Pediatric Endocrinology
- Lipodystrophy syndromes
- Progeria syndromes
- Type 1 Hyperlipoproteinemia
- A Novel Syndrome of Generalized Lipodystrophy Associated With Pilocytic Astrocytoma.
- Patni N, Alves C, von Schnurbein J, Wabitsch M, Tannin G, Rakheja D, Garg A J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2015 Oct 100 10 3603-6
- Congenital generalized lipodystrophies--new insights into metabolic dysfunction.
- Patni N, Garg A Nat Rev Endocrinol 2015 Sep 11 9 522-34
- Worsening hypertriglyceridemia with oral contraceptive pills in an adolescent with HIV-associated lipodystrophy: a case report and review of the literature.
- Patni N, Diaz EG, Cabral MD, Siqueira LM, Diaz A J. Pediatr. Endocrinol. Metab. 2014 Nov 27 11-12 1247-51
- Elevated alpha-fetoprotein levels in Van Wyk-Grumbach syndrome: a case report and review of literature.
- Patni N, Cervantes LF, Diaz A J. Pediatr. Endocrinol. Metab. 2012 25 7-8 761-7
- YouTube as a source of information on the H1N1 influenza pandemic.
- Pandey A, Patni N, Singh M, Sood A, Singh G Am J Prev Med 2010 Mar 38 3 e1-3
- Association of exclusive smokeless tobacco consumption with hypertension in an adult male rural population of India.
- Pandey A, Patni N, Sarangi S, Singh M, Sharma K, Vellimana AK, Patra S Tob Induc Dis 2009 5 15
- Assessment of risk and prophylaxis for deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism in medically ill patients during their early days of hospital stay at a tertiary care center in a developing country.
- Pandey A, Patni N, Singh M, Guleria R Vasc Health Risk Manag 2009 5 643-8
Honors & Awards
- Pediatric Endocrine Society Travel Award for Annual Meeting
- Endocrine Society Early Career Forum Travel Award for Annual Meeting
- Travel Award for Lipodystrophy meeting: Leptin and Beyond
- Pediatric Endocrine Society Travel Award for Lipodystrophy Diagnosis & Treatment Consensus Statement meeting
- American Diabetes Association (2015)
- The Pediatric Endocrine Society (2014)
- Pediatric Endocrinologists of Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, and Arkansas (2013)
- The Endocrine Society (2013)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (2010)