Luis Umaña received his medical degree in 2003 from Universidad Colegio Mayor de Nuestra Señora del Rosario in Bogotá, Colombia. He worked in Colombia as a general physician and as auxiliary Professor of Physiology at Universidad Autonoma de Bucaramanga in Colombia, until 2007, when he moved to New York to pursue residency training in pediatrics, which he completed at St Barnabas Hospital. After completing pediatric training he moved to Houston where he completed Clinical Genetics Residency in 2012, and a Medical Biochemical Genetics Fellowship in 2013; he is Board certified by the American Board of Pediatrics (ABP)and in Clinical Genetics by the American Board of Medical Genetics ABMG); and is eligible for certification in Medical Biochemical Genetics.
|Medical School||Universidad Colegio Mayor de Nuestra Senora Del Rosario Facultad de Medicina (2003)|
|Residency||St. Barnabas Hospital - Pediatric Residency (2010), Pediatrics|
|Residency||Baylor College of Medicine (2012), Medical Genetics|
|Fellowship||Baylor College of Medicine/Texas Children's Hospital (2013), Medical Biochemical Genetics|
- Genetics & Metabolism
- Clinical management of inborn errors of metabolism
- MCTP2 is a dosage-sensitive gene required for cardiac outflow tract development.
- Lalani SR, Ware SM, Wang X, Zapata G, Tian Q, Franco LM, Jiang Z, Bucasas K, Scott DA, Campeau PM, Hanchard N, Umaña L, Cast A, Patel A, Cheung SW, McBride KL, Bray M, Craig Chinault A, Boggs BA, Huang M, Baker MR, Hamilton S, Towbin J, Jefferies JL, Fernbach SD, Potocki L, Belmont JW Hum. Mol. Genet. 2013 Nov 22 21 4339-48
- A male newborn with VACTERL association and Fanconi anemia with a FANCB deletion detected by array comparative genomic hybridization (aCGH).
- Umaña LA, Magoulas P, Bi W, Bacino CA Am. J. Med. Genet. A 2011 Dec 155A 12 3071-4
- Mediated learning experience and concept maps: a pedagogical tool for achieving meaningful learning in medical physiology students.
- González HL, Palencia AP, Umaña LA, Galindo L, Villafrade M LA Adv Physiol Educ 2008 Dec 32 4 312-6
Disorders of One Carbon Metabolism. In Scaglia F and Lee BH, eds. Inborn Errors of Metabolism: From Neonatal Screening to Metabolic Pathways.
Umaña LA, Craigen WJ (2014). Oxford University Press
Honors & Awards
- Resident Teaching Award
Albert Einstein College of Medicine (2009)
- American Board of Medical Genetics
- American Board of Pediatrics