Reto Fiolka is an assistant Professor at UT Southwestern in the department of Cell Biology. Before, he conducted post-doctoral research in the Howard Hughes Medical Institute's Janelia Farm Research Campus under the late Dr. Mats Gustafsson (2009-2012) working on 3D structured illumination microscopy and under Dr. Meng Cui (2012-2013) working on adaptive optics.
Trained as a mechanical engineer in computational fluid dynamics, he did his PhD thesis at the institute of Nanotechnology at ETH Zurich in optical microscopy and has specialized since then on super resolution microscopy, adaptive optics and light sheet microscopy. At UT Southwestern, the research in his lab aims to extend the current imaging capabilities of optical microscopy such that cancer cell research and drug screening can be performed in physiologically relevant, 3D environments, ex vivo and in vivo. His microscope development is focused on improving the spatiotemporal resolution and optical penetration depth and translating new technologies to biological research.
- adaptive optics
- fluorescence microscopy
- light sheet microscopy
- super resolution microscopy
- ultrafast lasers and optics
- A bright cyan-excitable orange fluorescent protein facilitates dual-emission microscopy and enhances bioluminescence imaging in vivo.
- Chu J, Oh Y, Sens A, Ataie N, Dana H, Macklin JJ, Laviv T, Welf ES, Dean KM, Zhang F, Kim BB, Tang CT, Hu M, Baird MA, Davidson MW, Kay MA, Fiolka R, Yasuda R, Kim DS, Ng HL, Lin MZ Nat. Biotechnol. 2016 May
- Diagonally Scanned Light-Sheet Microscopy for Fast Volumetric Imaging of Adherent Cells.
- Dean KM, Roudot P, Reis CR, Welf ES, Mettlen M, Fiolka R Biophys. J. 2016 Mar 110 6 1456-65
- Quantitative Multiscale Cell Imaging in Controlled 3D Microenvironments.
- Welf ES, Driscoll MK, Dean KM, Schäfer C, Chu J, Davidson MW, Lin MZ, Danuser G, Fiolka R Dev. Cell 2016 Feb 36 4 462-75
- Deconvolution-free Subcellular Imaging with Axially Swept Light Sheet Microscopy
- Dean KM, Roudot P, Welf ES, Danuser G, Fiolka R Biophys Journal 2015 108 12 2807-2815
- Uniform and scalable light-sheets generated by extended focusing.
- Dean KM, Fiolka R Opt Express 2014 Oct 22 21 26141-52
- Seeing more with structured illumination microscopy.
- Fiolka R Methods Cell Biol. 2014 123 295-313
- Phase optimisation for structured illumination microscopy.
- Wicker K, Mandula O, Best G, Fiolka R, Heintzmann R Opt Express 2013 Jan 21 2 2032-49
- Fluorescence imaging beyond the ballistic regime by ultrasound pulse guided digital phase conjugation.
- Si K, Fiolka R, Cui M Nat Photonics 2012 Oct 6 10 657-661
- Parallel wavefront measurements in ultrasound pulse guided digital phase conjugation.
- Fiolka R, Si K, Cui M Opt Express 2012 Oct 20 22 24827-34
- Time-lapse two-color 3D imaging of live cells with doubled resolution using structured illumination.
- Fiolka R, Shao L, Rego EH, Davidson MW, Gustafsson MG Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2012 Apr 109 14 5311-5
Seeing more with structured illumination microscopy. In Quantitative Imaging in Cell Biology
Reto Fiolka (2014). Amsterdam, Elsevier
Honors & Awards
- Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT)
Recruitment award (2016-2020)