Reto Fiolka is currently an instructor at UT Southwestern in the department of Cell Biology. Before, he conducted post-doctoral research in the Howard Hughes Medical Institute's Janelia Farm Research Campus under the late Dr. Mats Gustafsson (2009-2012) working on 3D structured illumination microscopy and under Dr. Meng Cui (2012-2013) working on adaptive optics.
Trained as a mechanical engineer in computational fluid dynamics, he did his PhD thesis at the institute of Nanotechnology at ETH Zurich in optical microscopy and has specialized since then on super resolution microscopy, adaptive optics and light sheet microscopy. At UT Southwestern he has conceived and built two light sheet microscopes that are optimized to image cells in 3D micro-environments over large volumes with isotropic spatial resolution in the range of 300nm. One microscope is optimized to rapidly image complex samples (tumor spheroids, decellularized tissue) using two photon excitation, the other one is designed to simultaneously image multiple color channels with high sensitivity using one photon excitation. Both microscopes are now being routinely used at UT Southwestern.
- adaptive optics
- fluorescence microscopy
- light sheet microscopy
- super resolution microscopy
- ultrafast lasers and optics
- Deconvolution-free Subcellular Imaging with Axially Swept Light Sheet Microscopy
- Dean KM, Roudot P, Welf ES, Danuser G, Fiolka R Biophys Journal 2015 108 12 2807-2815
- Uniform and scalable light-sheets generated by extended focusing.
- Dean KM, Fiolka R Opt Express 2014 Oct 22 21 26141-52
- Seeing more with structured illumination microscopy.
- Fiolka R Methods Cell Biol. 2014 123 295-313
- Phase optimisation for structured illumination microscopy.
- Wicker K, Mandula O, Best G, Fiolka R, Heintzmann R Opt Express 2013 Jan 21 2 2032-49
- Fluorescence imaging beyond the ballistic regime by ultrasound pulse guided digital phase conjugation.
- Si K, Fiolka R, Cui M Nat Photonics 2012 Oct 6 10 657-661
- Parallel wavefront measurements in ultrasound pulse guided digital phase conjugation.
- Fiolka R, Si K, Cui M Opt Express 2012 Oct 20 22 24827-34
- Time-lapse two-color 3D imaging of live cells with doubled resolution using structured illumination.
- Fiolka R, Shao L, Rego EH, Davidson MW, Gustafsson MG Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2012 Apr 109 14 5311-5
- Breaking the spatial resolution barrier via iterative sound-light interaction in deep tissue microscopy.
- Si K, Fiolka R, Cui M Sci Rep 2012 2 748
- Simplified approach to diffraction tomography in optical microscopy.
- Fiolka R, Wicker K, Heintzmann R, Stemmer A Opt Express 2009 Jul 17 15 12407-17
- Variable phase retarder made of a dielectric elastomer actuator.
- Beck M, Fiolka R, Stemmer A Opt Lett 2009 Mar 34 6 803-5
Seeing more with structured illumination microscopy. In Quantitative Imaging in Cell Biology
Reto Fiolka (2014). Amsterdam, Elsevier