Orson Moe received his medical degree from the University of Toronto and is currently Professor of Internal Medicine and Physiology at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. He is the Director of the Charles and Jane Pak Center of Mineral Metabolism and Clinical Research. He is also a member of the Nephrology Division at Southwestern. Dr. Moe is the holder of the Charles and Jane Pak Chair in Mineral Metabolism Research and the Donald Seldin Professorship in Clinical Investigation. In addition to editing Current Opinions of Nephrology and Hypertension, Dr. Moe also serves on the editorial board of the American Journal of Physiology, Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, and Initial Review Group at the National Institutes of Health Center for Scientific Review. Dr. Moe is currently a member of the American Society of Clinical Research, American Association of Physicians, American Society of Nephrology, American Physiologic Society, and Biophysical Society.
|Medical School||University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine (1982)|
|Internship||St. Michael's Hospital (1983), Medical/surgical|
|Residency||St. Michael's Hospital (1986), Internal Medicine|
|Fellowship||St. Michael's Hospital (1987), Nephrology|
|Fellowship||UT Southwestern Medical Center (1990), Nephrology|
- Chronic Kidney Disease Bone & Mineral Problems
- Congenital Tubular Disease
- Electrolyte Abnormalities & Disorders
- Kidney Stones
- Epithelial Biology
- Ion Transport
- Alpha-Klotho protects against oxidative damage in pulmonary epithelia.
- Ravikumar P, Ye J, Zhang J, Pinch SN, Hu MC, Kuro-O M, Hsia CC, Moe OW Am. J. Physiol. Lung Cell Mol. Physiol. 2014 Jul
- Klotho has dual protective effects on cisplatin-induced acute kidney injury.
- Panesso MC, Shi M, Cho HJ, Paek J, Ye J, Moe OW, Hu MC Kidney Int. 2013 Dec
- SLC26A6 and NaDC-1 Transporters Interact to Regulate Oxalate and Citrate Homeostasis.
- Ohana E, Shcheynikov N, Moe OW, Muallem S J. Am. Soc. Nephrol. 2013 Jul
- The erythropoietin receptor is a downstream effector of Klotho-induced cytoprotection.
- Hu MC, Shi M, Cho HJ, Zhang J, Pavlenco A, Liu S, Sidhu S, Huang LJ, Moe OW Kidney Int. 2013 May
- Fibroblast growth factor 23 and klotho: physiology and pathophysiology of an endocrine network of mineral metabolism.
- Hu MC, Shiizaki K, Kuro-O M, Moe OW Annu. Rev. Physiol. 2013 Feb 75 503-33
- Vitamin D receptor agonists increase klotho and osteopontin while decreasing aortic calcification in mice with chronic kidney disease fed a high phosphate diet.
- Lau WL, Leaf EM, Hu MC, Takeno MM, Kuro-o M, Moe OW, Giachelli CM Kidney Int. 2012 Dec 82 12 1261-70
- Klotho as a potential biomarker and therapy for acute kidney injury.
- Hu MC, Moe OW Nat Rev Nephrol 2012 Jul 8 7 423-9
- The diurnal variation in urine acidification differs between normal individuals and uric acid stone formers.
- Cameron M, Maalouf NM, Poindexter J, Adams-Huet B, Sakhaee K, Moe OW Kidney Int. 2012 Jun 81 11 1123-30
- Comparison of Insulin Action on Glucose versus Potassium Uptake in Humans.
- Nguyen TQ, Maalouf NM, Sakhaee K, Moe OW Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2011 Jul 6 7 1533-9
Honors & Awards
- Jack Coburn Award and Lectureship in Mineral Research
American Society of Nephrology (2013)
- Outstanding Freshman Teacher
1st yr medical students (2011)
- Outstanding Freshman Teacher
1st yr medical students (2006)
- National Kidney Foundation of Canada
Recipient of Research Fellowship (1987)
- American Associate of Physicians (2007)
- American Society of Clinical Investigation (2001)
- American Physiologic Society (1990)
- American Society of Nephrology (1986)
- Royal College of Physicians of Canada (1986)
- National Kidney Foundation