|Undergraduate||Virginia Military Institute (1950)|
|Medical School||University of Texas Southwestern Med Ctr Dallas (1954)|
- Cardiovascular Response and Adaptation to Exercise
- Control of Left Ventricular Function
- Neural Control of Circulation during Exercise
- Epidural anesthesia and the cardiovascular response to static exercise in humans
- Mitchell, J.H., D.R. Reeves, Jr., H.B. Rogers, and N.H. Secher Journal of Physiology October 1989 417 13-24
- Cardiovascular and respiratory responses to changes in central command during isometric exercise at constant muscle tension.
- Goodwin, G.M., D.I. McCloskey, and J.H. Mitchell Journal of Physiology October 1972 226 173-190
- Reflex cardiovascular and respiratory responses originating in exercising muscle.
- McCloskey, D.I., and J.H. Mitchell Journal of Physiology July 1972 224 173-186
- Regulation of ventricular contraction; influence of cardiac sympathetic and vagal nerve stimulation on atrial and ventricular dynamics.
- Sarnoff, S.J., S.K. Brockman, J.P. Gilmore, R.J. Linden, and J.H. Mitchell Circulation Research September 1960 8 1108-1122
- The physiological meaning of the maximal oxygen intake test.
- Mitchell, J.H., B.J. Sproule, and C.B. Chapman Journal of Clinical Investigation April 1958 37 538-547
- Role of the exercise pressor reflex in rats with dilated cardiomyopathy.
- Smith, S., J.H. Mitchell, and M.G. Garry Circulation September 2003 108 1126-1132
- Glutamate release in the midbrain periaqueductal gray by activation of skeletal muscle receptors and arterial baroreceptors in cats.
- Li, J. and J.H. Mitchell AJP Heart and Circulatory Physiology March 2003 285 H137-H144
- Role of central command in carotid baroreflex resetting in humans during static exercise.
- Ogoh, S., Wasmund, W.L., Keller, D.M., O-Yurvati, A. Gallagher, K.M., Mitchell, J.H. and Raven, P.B. Journal of Physiology August 2002 543.1 349-364
- A 30-year follow-up of the Dallas bed rest and training study.
- McGuire, D.K., B.D. Levine, J.W. Williamson, P.G. Snell, C.G. Blomqvist, B. Saltin, and J.H. Mitchell Circulation September 2001 104 1358-1366
- A 30-year follow-up of the Dallas bed rest and training study. I. Effect of age on the cardiovascular response to exercise.
- McGuire, D.K., B.D. Levine, J.W. Williamson, P.G. Snell, C.G. Blomqvist, B. Saltin, and J.H. Mitchell. Circulation September 2001 104 1350-1357
Honors & Awards
- Distinguished Scientist Award
American College of Cardiology (1999)
- Carl J. Wiggers Award
CV Section, American Physiological Society (1992)
- Honor Award
American College of Sports Medicine (1988)
- Young Investigator's Award
American College of Cardiology (1961)
- Alpha Omege Alpha
U.T. Southwestern (1954)