Stanford University, Stanford, CA A.B. 1963 Psychology Stanford Medical School, Stanford, CA M.D. 1967 Medicine Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 1967-1969 Internal Medicine National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 1969-1973 Genetics A. Positions and Honors. 1963-1967 Predoctoral Trainee PHS, Dept of Genetics, Stanford Medical School (Dr. L. Herzenberg) 1967-1969 Internship and Residency, Dept of Medicine, Massachusetts General Hosp, Boston, MA 1969-1973 Res Assoc, Lab. of Biochemical Genetics (LBG), NHLBI, NIH (Dr. Marshall Nirenberg) 1973-1975 Head, Section on Somatic Cell Genetics, LBG, NHLBI, NIH 1974-1991 Attending Physician, Clinical Center, NIH 1975-1981 Chief, NCI-VA Medical Oncology Branch, Clinical Oncology Program, DCT, NCI, NIH 1981-1991 Chief, NCI-Navy Medical Oncology Branch, COP, DCT, NCI, NIH 1981-1991 Prof of Medicine, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD 1969-1991 United States Public Health Service (PHS); Captain (06); Retired 1991 1991-Pres. Prof of Medicine & Pharmacology, UT Southwestern Medical Center Dallas (UTSWMC) 1991-1995 Director, Harold C. Simmons Cancer Center, UTSWMC, Lisa K. Simmon Distinguished Chair in Comprehensive Oncology, Chief, Division of Medical Oncology/Hematology 1995-Pres. Director, Hamon Center for Therapeutic Oncology Research and W.A. "Tex" & Deborah Moncrief Jr. Center for Cancer Genetics, UTSWMC, Sarah M. & Charles E. Seay Distinguished Chair in Cancer Research, Max L. Thomas Distinguished Chair in Molecular Pulmonary Oncology Honors PHS: Commendation Medal (1979), Meritorious Service Medical (1986), Unit Commendation Medal (1991); Rosenthal Prize for Cancer Research (1984); Milken Foundation Award for Scientific Excellence in Clinical Research (1989); Chester Stock Award, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center (1992); Bristol Myers Squibb Award for Lung Cancer Research (1997); Moran Award Univ. Michigan (2000), NCI SPORE Program Award for Leadership (2003), Ochsner Award Smoking Related Research (2004), ASCO Scientific Achievement Award (2005), ASCO Lifetime Achievement Award (2007) B. Selected peer-reviewed publications (2006-2007). Sato, M., Vaughan, M. B., Girard, L., Peyton, M., Lee, W., Shames, D. S., Ramirez, R. D., Sunaga, N., Gazdar, A. F., Shay, J. W., and Minna, J. D. Multiple Oncogenic Changes (K-RASV12, p53 Knockdown, Mutant EGFRs, p16 Bypass, Telomerase) Are Not Sufficient to Confer a Full Malignant Phenotype on Human Bronchial Epithelial Cells. Cancer Res, 66: 2116-2128, 2006. Zhou, B. B., Peyton, M., He, B., Liu, C., Girard, L., Caudler, E., Lo, Y., Baribaud, F., Mikami, I., Reguart, N., Yang, G., Li, Y., Yao, W., Vaddi, K., Gazdar, A. F., Friedman, S. M., Jablons, D. M., Newton, R. C., Fridman, J. S., Minna, J. D., and Scherle, P. A. Targeting ADAM-mediated ligand cleavage to inhibit HER3 and EGFR pathways in non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer Cell, 10: 39-50, 2006. Deng, W. G., Kawashima, H., Wu, G., Jayachandran, G., Xu, K., Minna, J. D., Roth, J. A., and Ji, L. Synergistic tumor suppression by coexpression of FUS1 and p53 is associated with down-regulation of murine double minute-2 and activation of the apoptotic protease-activating factor 1-dependent apoptotic pathway in human non-small cell lung cancer cells. Cancer Res, 67: 709-717, 2007. Lam, D. C., Girard, L., Ramirez, R., Chau, W. S., Suen, W. S., Sheridan, S., Tin, V. P., Chung, L. P., Wong, M. P., Shay, J. W., Gazdar, A. F., Lam, W. K., and Minna, J. D. Expression of nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunit genes in non-small-cell lung cancer reveals differences between smokers and nonsmokers. Cancer Res, 67: 4638-4647, 2007. Whitehurst, A. W., Bodemann, B. O., Cardenas, J., Ferguson, D., Girard, L., Peyton, M., Minna, J. D., Michnoff, C., Hao, W., Roth, M. G., Xie, X. J., and White, M. A. Synthetic lethal screen identification of chemosensitizer loci in cancer cells. Nature, 446: 815-819, 2007.
- Medical School
- Stanford University Medical Center (1967)
- Massachusetts General Hospital (1968), Medicine
- Massachusetts General Hospital (1969), Medicine
- National Institutes of Health (1973), Biochemical Genetics
- Breast Cancer
- Genome wide mRNA, protein, and DNA analysis
- Lung Cancer
- Molecular biomarkers of response to cancer therapy
- Molecular pathogenesis of human cancer
- ASCL1 is a lineage oncogene providing therapeutic targets for high-grade neuroendocrine lung cancers.
- Augustyn A, Borromeo M, Wang T, Fujimoto J, Shao C, Dospoy PD, Lee V, Tan C, Sullivan JP, Larsen JE, Girard L, Behrens C, Wistuba II, Xie Y, Cobb MH, Gazdar AF, Johnson JE, Minna JD Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2014 Sep
- Essential role of aldehyde dehydrogenase 1A3 (ALDH1A3) for the maintenance of non-small cell lung cancer stem cells is associated with the STAT3 pathway.
- Shao C, Sullivan JP, Girard L, Augustyn A, Yenerall P, Rodriguez J, Liu H, Behrens C, Shay JW, Wistuba II, Minna JD Clin. Cancer Res. 2014 Jun
- Radiation-Enhanced Lung Cancer Progression in a Transgenic Mouse Model of Lung Cancer Is Predictive of Outcomes in Human Lung and Breast Cancer.
- Delgado O, Batten KG, Richardson JA, Xie XJ, Gazdar AF, Kaisani AA, Girard L, Behrens C, Suraokar M, Fasciani G, Wright WE, Story MD, Wistuba II, Minna JD, Shay JW Clin. Cancer Res. 2014 Feb
- Comparison between concurrent and sequential chemoradiation for non-small cell lung cancer in vitro.
- Song SY, DAS AK, Minna JD Oncol Lett 2014 Feb 7 2 307-310
- Integrative analysis of two cell lines derived from a non-small-lung cancer patient--a panomics approach.
- Mayba O, Gnad F, Peyton M, Zhang F, Walter K, Du P, Huntley MA, Jiang Z, Liu J, Haverty PM, Gentleman RC, Li R, Minna JD, Li Y, Shames DS, Zhang Z Pac Symp Biocomput 2014 75-86
- IGFBP2/FAK pathway is causally associated with dasatinib resistance in non-small cell lung cancer cells.
- Lu H, Wang L, Gao W, Meng J, Dai B, Wu S, Minna J, Roth JA, Hofstetter WL, Swisher SG, Fang B Mol. Cancer Ther. 2013 Dec 12 12 2864-73
- Ras regulates kinesin 13 family members to control cell migration pathways in transformed human bronchial epithelial cells.
- Zaganjor E, Osborne JK, Weil LM, Diaz-Martinez LA, Gonzales JX, Singel SM, Larsen JE, Girard L, Minna JD, Cobb MH Oncogene 2013 Nov
- Systematic identification of molecular subtype-selective vulnerabilities in non-small-cell lung cancer.
- Kim HS, Mendiratta S, Kim J, Pecot CV, Larsen JE, Zubovych I, Seo BY, Kim J, Eskiocak B, Chung H, McMillan E, Wu S, De Brabander J, Komurov K, Toombs JE, Wei S, Peyton M, Williams N, Gazdar AF, Posner BA, Brekken RA, Sood AK, Deberardinis RJ, Roth MG, Minna JD, White MA Cell 2013 Oct 155 3 552-66
- Molecular biology of lung cancer.
- Cooper WA, Lam DC, O'Toole SA, Minna JD J Thorac Dis 2013 Oct 5 Suppl 5 S479-S490
- Proteomic markers of DNA repair and PI3K pathway activation predict response to the PARP inhibitor BMN 673 in small cell lung cancer.
- Cardnell RJ, Feng Y, Diao L, Fan YH, Masrorpour F, Wang J, Shen Y, Mills GB, Minna JD, Heymach JV, Byers LA Clin. Cancer Res. 2013 Sep
Honors & Awards
- ASCO Award
- ASCO Award
Lifetime Scientific Achievement (2005)
- Ochsner Award
Award for Smoking Related Research (2004)
- Bristol Myers Squibb Award
Award for Lung Cancer Research (1997)
- Rosenthal Prize
Prize for Cancer Research (1984)
- American Association for Cancer Research (AACR)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
- ASBMB, ASCI, AFCR, ASH, IASLC
- Association of American Physicians (AAP)
- Fellow American College of Physicians (FACP)