1992-1993 Postdoctoral Fellow (Neuroscience): Mitsubishi Kasei Institute of Life Sciences, Tokyo, Japan. (Mentor: Shin-Ichi T Inouye, Ph.D.)
1993-1994 Postdoctoral Fellow (Neuroscience): Tokyo Metropolitan Institute for Neuroscience, Tokyo, Japan. (Mentor: Yoichiro Kuroda, Ph.D.)
1994-1996 Research Associate (Chronobiology): Department of Biology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA. (Mentors: Michael Menaker, Ph.D. and Gene D Block, Ph.D.)
1996-2002 Research Scientist: Department of Biology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville,VA.
2000-2002 Center Investigator: NSF Center for Biological Timing
2002-2006 Research Assistant Professor, Department of Biological Sciences, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN.
2006-2013 Member of the Vanderbilt Kennedy Center for Research on Human Development
2006-2013 Research Associate Professor, Department of Biological Sciences, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN.
- Circadian Physiology
- Feeding and Light Entrainment of the Circadian System
- Live Cell/Tissue Real-Time Imaging
- Mouse Models for Human Disorders Caused by Disruption/Disorganization/Misalignment of the Circadian System
- Neural Circuit Controlling Feeding and Locomotor Activity Rhythms
- Pacemaker Coupling
- The complex relationship between the light-entrainable and methamphetamine-sensitive circadian oscillators: evidence from behavioral studies of Period-mutant mice.
- Pendergast JS, Niswender KD, Yamazaki S Eur. J. Neurosci. 2013 Jul
- High-fat diet acutely affects circadian organisation and eating behavior.
- Pendergast JS, Branecky KL, Yang W, Ellacott KL, Niswender KD, Yamazaki S Eur. J. Neurosci. 2013 Jan
- Period determination in the food-entrainable and methamphetamine-sensitive circadian oscillator(s).
- Pendergast JS, Oda GA, Niswender KD, Yamazaki S Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2012 Aug 109 35 14218-23
- Circadian-independent cell mitosis in immortalized fibroblasts.
- Yeom M, Pendergast JS, Ohmiya Y, Yamazaki S Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2010 May 107 21 9665-70
- Resetting central and peripheral circadian oscillators in transgenic rats.
- Yamazaki S, Numano R, Abe M, Hida A, Takahashi R, Ueda M, Block GD, Sakaki Y, Menaker M, Tei H Science 2000 Apr 288 5466 682-5
- Rhythmic properties of the hamster suprachiasmatic nucleus in vivo.
- Yamazaki S, Kerbeshian MC, Hocker CG, Block GD, Menaker M J. Neurosci. 1998 Dec 18 24 10709-23
- Effects of light, food, and methamphetamine on the circadian activity rhythm in mice.
- Pendergast JS, Yamazaki S Physiol. Behav. 2014 Feb
- Wheel-running activity modulates circadian organization and the daily rhythm of eating behavior.
- Pendergast JS, Branecky KL, Huang R, Niswender KD, Yamazaki S Front Psychol 2014 5 177
- In vitro circadian period is associated with circadian/sleep preference.
- Hida A, Kitamura S, Ohsawa Y, Enomoto M, Katayose Y, Motomura Y, Moriguchi Y, Nozaki K, Watanabe M, Aritake S, Higuchi S, Kato M, Kamei Y, Yamazaki S, Goto YI, Ikeda M, Mishima K Sci Rep 2013 Jun 3 2074
- In vivo monitoring of multi-unit neural activity in the suprachiasmatic nucleus reveals robust circadian rhythms in period1(-/-) mice.
- Takasu NN, Pendergast JS, Olivas CS, Yamazaki S, Nakamura W PLoS ONE 2013 8 5 e64333