Jessica Moreland received her Bachelor’s Degree in Zoology from Duke University. She obtained her M.D. from Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee, in 1992. Dr. Moreland remained at Vanderbilt University for her residency training in Pediatrics and her fellowship training in Pediatric Critical Care. After completion of all of her postgraduate training, she was recruited to join the faculty at the University of Iowa. Dr. Moreland was appointed as an Assistant Professor on the tenure track in 1998 and rose to the rank of Professor with Tenure in 2013. Her research focus has centered broadly on the theme of neutrophil-based inflammation. While on faculty at the University of Iowa, Dr. Moreland served initially as the fellowship director for Pediatric Critical Care and served as the Division Director prior to joining UT Southwestern. Dr. Moreland took over as the Division Chief of Critical Care at UT Southwestern in January of 2014. She is currently the Professor of Pediatrics and Microbiology and the Thomas Fariss Marsh, Jr. Chair in Pediatrics.
- Medical School
- Vanderbilt University (1992)
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center (1995), Pediatrics
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center (1998), Pediatric Critical Care Medicine
- Granule and vesicle exocytosis
- Inflammation and the resolution of inflammation
- NADPH oxidase and reactive oxygen species signaling
- Neutrophil priming
- Translational analysis of neutrophil activation state during cardiopulmonary bypass and during chronic inflammatory disease
- NOX2 protects against progressive lung injury and multiple organ dysfunction syndrome.
- Whitmore LC, Goss KL, Newell EA, Hilkin BM, Hook JS, Moreland JG Am. J. Physiol. Lung Cell Mol. Physiol. 2014 May
- NOX2 Protects against Prolonged Inflammation, Lung Injury, and Mortality following Systemic Insults.
- Whitmore LC, Hilkin BM, Goss KL, Wahle EM, Colaizy TT, Boggiatto PM, Varga SM, Miller FJ, Moreland JG J Innate Immun 2013 Apr
- Transepithelial migration of neutrophils into the lung requires TREM-1.
- Klesney-Tait J, Keck K, Li X, Gilfillan S, Otero K, Baruah S, Meyerholz DK, Varga SM, Knudson CJ, Moninger TO, Moreland J, Zabner J, Colonna M J. Clin. Invest. 2013 Jan 123 1 138-49
- Endotoxin priming of neutrophils requires endocytosis and NADPH oxidase-dependent endosomal reactive oxygen species.
- Lamb FS, Hook JS, Hilkin BM, Huber JN, Volk AP, Moreland JG J. Biol. Chem. 2012 Apr 287 15 12395-404
- Priming of neutrophils and differentiated PLB-985 cells by pathophysiological concentrations of TNF-a is partially oxygen dependent.
- Volk AP, Barber BM, Goss KL, Ruff JG, Heise CK, Hook JS, Moreland JG J Innate Immun 2011 3 3 298-314
- Multiple mechanisms of NADPH oxidase inhibition by type A and type B Francisella tularensis.
- McCaffrey RL, Schwartz JT, Lindemann SR, Moreland JG, Buchan BW, Jones BD, Allen LA J. Leukoc. Biol. 2010 Oct 88 4 791-805
- Activation of swelling-activated chloride current by tumor necrosis factor-alpha requires ClC-3-dependent endosomal reactive oxygen production.
- Matsuda JJ, Filali MS, Moreland JG, Miller FJ, Lamb FS J. Biol. Chem. 2010 Jul 285 30 22864-73
- Francisella tularensis directly interacts with the endothelium and recruits neutrophils with a blunted inflammatory phenotype.
- Moreland JG, Hook JS, Bailey G, Ulland T, Nauseef WM Am. J. Physiol. Lung Cell Mol. Physiol. 2009 Jun 296 6 L1076-84
- Electrophysiology of reactive oxygen production in signaling endosomes.
- Lamb FS, Moreland JG, Miller FJ Antioxid. Redox Signal. 2009 Jun 11 6 1335-47
- ZEB1 enhances transendothelial migration and represses the epithelial phenotype of prostate cancer cells.
- Drake JM, Strohbehn G, Bair TB, Moreland JG, Henry MD Mol. Biol. Cell 2009 Apr 20 8 2207-17
Honors & Awards
- Election to American Pediatric Society
- Best Doctors in America
Best Doctors, Inc. (2012-2013)
- Above and Beyond Award
University of Iowa Health Care (2005-2006)
- Election to Society for Pediatric Research
- Elliot V. Newman Award
Vanderbilt University Medical Center Research Forum (1997)
- Amos Christie Award in Pediatrics
Vanderbilt University Medical School (1995)
- David Karzon Award
Vanderbilt University, Department of Pediatrics (1995)
- House Officer Research Award
Society for Pediatric Research (1995)
- 1992 Alpha Omega Alpha
Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society (1992)
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Pediatric Society
- American Thoracic Society
- Society for Critical Care Medicine
- Society for Leukocyte Biology
- Society for Pediatric Research