Ayesha Zia, MD is a pediatric hematologist at the Children’s Medical Center’s Hemostasis Thrombosis Center, and an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at the University Of Texas Southwestern School Of Medicine. Previous NHF (National Hemophilia Foundation) clinical fellowship award recipient, her clinical/translational research interests are geared toward pediatric patients with bleeding and clotting disorders. Dr. Zia also leads the multidisciplinary “Young Women’s Blood Disorders Clinic” at Children’s Medical Center, focused on improving the care of adolescent girls with menorrhagia and bleeding disorders as well as girls with thrombophilia first and only program in North Texas that specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of bleeding and clotting disorders and accompanying reproductive problems in young women. Dr. Zia has a particular interest in the use of global coagulation assays, like thromboelatography and thrombin generation, in the diagnosis and management of congenital bleeding and clotting disorders. Current projects are focused on 1) elucidating the biology of hormonal induced thrombosis and predictors of thrombosis in young girls on oral contraceptives, 2) outcomes of thrombosis in the pediatric population including recurrent thrombosis and post-thrombotic syndrome, 3) Improving diagnostic strategies and quality of life in adolescent females with menorrhagia and bleeding disorders and 4) thromboprophylaxis in pediatric patients undergoing orthopedic surgeries. Dr. Zia is also the institutional con-investigator for several clinical trials investigating new treatments in hemostasis and thrombosis, including new medications for hemophilia, von Willebrand disease, and blood clots.
- Medical School
- King Edward Medical University (2002)
- University of Oklahoma Health Science Center (2007), Pediatrics
- Children's Hospital of Michigan (2009), Pediatrics
- Children's Hospital of Michigan (2012), Pediatric Hematology/oncology
- Childrens Hospital of Michigan (2013), Pediatric Hemostasis/thrombosis
- Thromboelastography identifies children with rare bleeding disorders and predicts bleeding phenotype.
- Zia AN, Chitlur M, Rajpurkar M, Ozgonenel B, Lusher J, Callaghan JH, Callaghan MU Haemophilia 2015 Jan 21 1 124-32
- Management of Thrombotic Complications in Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia.
- Zia AN, Chitlur M Indian J Pediatr 2013 Aug
- Emergency department visits in children with hemophilia.
- Özgönenel B, Zia A, Callaghan MU, Chitlur M, Rajpurkar M, Lusher JM Pediatr Blood Cancer 2013 Jul 60 7 1188-91
- Hereditary intrinsic factor deficiency in chaldeans.
- Sturm AC, Baack EC, Armstrong MB, Schiff D, Zia A, Savasan S, de la Chapelle A, Tanner SM JIMD Rep 2013 7 13-8
- Acute lymphoblastic leukemia and vitamin B12 deficiency secondary to a gastric intrinsic factor gene mutation.
- Zia A, Fisgin T, Sokolowski C, Tanner SM, Savasan S Pediatr Blood Cancer 2012 Oct 59 4 766-7
- Challenges of diagnosing and managing the adolescent with heavy menstrual bleeding.
- Zia A, Rajpurkar M Thromb. Res. 2016 May 143 91-100
- Hypercoagulability in adolescent girls on oral contraceptives-global coagulation profile and estrogen receptor polymorphisms.
- Zia A, Callaghan MU, Callaghan JH, Sawni A, Bartlett H, Backos A, Marshall S, Chitlur M, Rajpurkar M Am. J. Hematol. 2015 Aug 90 8 725-31
- Global coagulation assays: a clinical perspective.
- Zia A, O'Brien SH J. Thromb. Thrombolysis 2015 Jan 39 1 89-94
Abnormalities of Fibrinogen- afibrinogenemia and hypodysfibrinogenemia. In Berhardt LV eds. Advances in Medicine and Biology, vol 40
Ayesha N. Zia and Meera Chitlur (2013). Nova Publishers
Honors & Awards
- CCRAC Research Award in Junior Investigator Category
- George R. Buchanan Teaching award for excellence in Fellow Education
- American Society of Hematology Clinical Research Training Institute Award
- Wolf Zuelzer Research Award
Award Recipient for outstanding research during pediatric Hematology/Oncology fellowship (2012)
- Chief Fellow in Pediatric Hematology Oncology
- National Hemophilia Foundation (NHF) Clinical Fellowship Award
Award Recipient with $200,000 funded during award period (2011-2013)
- International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis (2014)
- Hemostasis and Thrombosis Research Society (2011)
- National Hemophilia Foundation (NHF) (2011)
- American Society of Hematology (ASH) (2009)
- American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology (ASPHO) (2009)
- Pakistan Medical and Dental Council (2002)