Dr. George McCracken, Professor of Pediatrics, joined the faculty at UT Southwestern in 1968 after completing a two-year fellowship with John Sever at the National Institutes of Health. He served as Director of the Division of Pediatric Infectious Disease from 1976 until 2009.
In 1982, The Pediatric Infectious Diseases Journal was founded by Dr. McCracken and Dr. John Nelson, and Dr. McCracken continues to serve as Chief Editor. From 1981 through 2007, Drs. McCracken and Nelson also organized and led the National Pediatric Infectious Disease Seminar, a post-graduate education course that rotated annually to several cities throughout the United States and attracted more than 500 registrants.
Dr. McCracken's publication record now exceeds 490 peer-reviewed articles and book sections, among which are the representative ones listed below.
- Medical School
- Weill Cornell Medical College (1962)
- Cornell University Medical College (1963), Internal Medicine
- Cornell University Medical College (1965), Pediatrics
- Chief Resident
- Children's Health Dallas (1966), Pediatrics
- Clinical Pharmacology of Antimicrobials
- Meningitis (pathogenesis, treatment)
- Respiratory Infections (pathogenesis, link to asthma)
- Vaccine Development
- The Effect of 13-Valent Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine on the Serotype Distribution and Antibiotic Resistance Profiles in Children With Invasive Pneumococcal Disease.
- Gaviria-Agudelo CL, Jordan-Villegas A, Garcia C, McCracken GH J Pediatric Infect Dis Soc 2016 Feb
- Executive summary: the management of community-acquired pneumonia in infants and children older than 3 months of age: clinical practice guidelines by the Pediatric Infectious Diseases Society and the Infectious Diseases Society of America.
- Bradley JS, Byington CL, Shah SS, Alverson B, Carter ER, Harrison C, Kaplan SL, Mace SE, McCracken GH, Moore MR, St Peter SD, Stockwell JA, Swanson JT, Pediatric Infectious Diseases Society and the Infectious Diseases Society of America null Clin. Infect. Dis. 2011 Oct 53 7 617-30
- The management of community-acquired pneumonia in infants and children older than 3 months of age: clinical practice guidelines by the Pediatric Infectious Diseases Society and the Infectious Diseases Society of America.
- Bradley JS, Byington CL, Shah SS, Alverson B, Carter ER, Harrison C, Kaplan SL, Mace SE, McCracken GH, Moore MR, St Peter SD, Stockwell JA, Swanson JT, Pediatric Infectious Diseases Society and the Infectious Diseases Society of America null Clin. Infect. Dis. 2011 Oct 53 7 e25-76
- Pharmacokinetics of oseltamivir according to trimester of pregnancy.
- Greer LG, Leff RD, Rogers VL, Roberts SW, McCracken GH, Wendel GD, Sheffield JS Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 2011 Jun 204 6 Suppl 1 S89-93
- Pharmacokinetics of oseltamivir in breast milk and maternal plasma.
- Greer LG, Leff RD, Rogers VL, Roberts SW, McCracken GH, Wendel GD, Sheffield JS Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 2011 Jun 204 6 524.e1-4
- Viral coinfections in children with invasive pneumococcal disease.
- Techasaensiri B, Techasaensiri C, Mejías A, McCracken GH, Ramilo O Pediatr. Infect. Dis. J. 2010 Jun 29 6 519-23
- Epidemiology and evolution of invasive pneumococcal disease caused by multidrug resistant serotypes of 19A in the 8 years after implementation of pneumococcal conjugate vaccine immunization in Dallas, Texas.
- Techasaensiri C, Messina AF, Katz K, Ahmad N, Huang R, McCracken GH Pediatr. Infect. Dis. J. 2010 Apr 29 4 294-300
- The pediatric infectious disease journal(r) newsletter: march 2009.
- Nelson JD, McCracken GH Pediatr. Infect. Dis. J. 2009 Mar 28 3 A5-6
- Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of linezolid in children with cystic fibrosis.
- Santos RP, Prestidge CB, Brown ME, Urbancyzk B, Murphey DK, Salvatore CM, Jafri HS, McCracken GH, Ahmad N, Sanchez PJ, Siegel JD Pediatr. Pulmonol. 2009 Feb 44 2 148-54
- The antibiotic pipeline in pediatrics.
- McCracken GH Adv. Exp. Med. Biol. 2009 634 147-51
Quinolones in Pediatrics. In Hooper D, Rubinstein E, eds. Quinolone Antimicrobial Agents. 3rd ed.
McCracken GH, Ghaffar F. (2003). Washington, DC: ASM Press; 343-354.
Acute Bacterial Meningitis beyond the Neonatal Period. In Long, SS, Pickering LK, Prober CG, eds. Principles and Practices of Pediatric Infectious Diseases. 4th ed.
Garcia CG, McCracken GH. (2012). Elsevier Saunders; 272-278.
Antibacterial Therapeutic Agents. In Cherry JD, Harrison GJ, Kaplan SL, Steinbach WJ, Hotez PJ, eds. Feigin and Cherry's Textbook of Pediatric Infectious Diseases. 7th ed.
Garcia C, McCracken GH. (2013). Philadelphia: Elsevier Saunders; 3182-3241.
Honors & Awards
- Texas Super Doctor
Texas Monthly Magazine (2015)
- Honorary Membership, European Society for Paediatric Infectious Disease
Awarded for Outstanding Leadership in pediatric infectious diseases worldwide (2012)
- Maxwell Finland Lecture
Honorary Lecture, Infectious Disease Society of America (2012)
- Special Recognition Certificate for Education
American Academy of Pediatrics (2011)
- Honorary Doctorate of Medicine, University of Athens, Athens, Greece,
- Kellogg Award
from Williams College for a Distinguished Career in Pediatric MEdicine (2008)
- Cornell University Medical College Distinguished Alumnus Award
For a Distinguished Career in Pediatric Infectious Diseases (2006)
- The Maxwell Finland Award
for Scientific Achievements from the National Foundation for Infectious Diseases (2004)
- Mentor Award for a Distinguished Lifetime Record of Mentorship in Infectious Diseases
from the Infectious Disease Society of America (2003)
- Distinguished Physician Award for LIfetime Achievements in Research and Training in Pediatric Infectious Diseases
from the Pediatric Infectious Diseases Society (2001)
- Research Rounds, Chairman/Director (1995-2008)
- The Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, Chief Editor (1982)
- The National Pediatric Infectious Disease Seminar, Co-Director (1981-2008)
- Infectious Diseases Society of America (1979)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (1977)
- Society for Pediatric Research (1972)
- American Society for Microbiology (1970)
- European Pediatric Infectious Disease Society; Pediatric Infectious Diseases Society