Dr. George McCracken, Professor of Pediatrics, joined the faculty at UT Southwestern in 1968 after completing a two-year fellowship with John Sever at the National Institutes of Health. He served as Director of the Division of Pediatric Infectious Disease from 1976 until 2009.
In 1982, The Pediatric Infectious Diseases Journal was founded by Dr. McCracken and Dr. John Nelson; they continue to serve as Chief Editors.
From 1981 through 2007, Drs. McCracken and Nelson also organized and led the National Pediatric Infectious Disease Seminar, a post-graduate education course that rotated annually to several cities throughout the United States and attracted more than 500 registrants.
- Medical School
- Weill Cornell Medical College (1962)
- Cornell University Medical College (1963), Internal Medicine
- Cornell University Medical College (1965), Pediatrics
- Chief Resident
- Children's Medical Center Dallas (1966), Pediatrics
- Clinical Pharmacology of Antimicrobials
- Meningitis (pathogenesis, treatment)
- Respiratory Infections (pathogenesis, link to asthma)
- Vaccine Development
- Pharmacokinetics of oseltamivir according to trimester of pregnancy.
- Greer LG, Leff RD, Rogers VL, Roberts SW, McCracken GH, Wendel GD, Sheffield JS Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 2011 Jun 204 6 Suppl 1 S89-93
- Pharmacokinetics of oseltamivir in breast milk and maternal plasma.
- Greer LG, Leff RD, Rogers VL, Roberts SW, McCracken GH, Wendel GD, Sheffield JS Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 2011 Jun 204 6 524.e1-4
- Viral coinfections in children with invasive pneumococcal disease.
- Techasaensiri B, Techasaensiri C, Mejías A, McCracken GH, Ramilo O Pediatr. Infect. Dis. J. 2010 Jun 29 6 519-23
- Epidemiology and evolution of invasive pneumococcal disease caused by multidrug resistant serotypes of 19A in the 8 years after implementation of pneumococcal conjugate vaccine immunization in Dallas, Texas.
- Techasaensiri C, Messina AF, Katz K, Ahmad N, Huang R, McCracken GH Pediatr. Infect. Dis. J. 2010 Apr 29 4 294-300
- Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of linezolid in children with cystic fibrosis.
- Santos RP, Prestidge CB, Brown ME, Urbancyzk B, Murphey DK, Salvatore CM, Jafri HS, McCracken GH, Ahmad N, Sanchez PJ, Siegel JD Pediatr. Pulmonol. 2009 Feb 44 2 148-54
- Respiratory tract infection with Mycoplasma pneumoniae in interleukin-12 knockout mice results in improved bacterial clearance and reduced pulmonary inflammation
- Salvatore, C.M., et al Infect Immun January 2007 75(1) 236-42
- Genetic characterization of erythromycin- and methicillin-resistant community-acquired Staphylococcus aureus isolated from children in Texas
- Bogdanovich, T., N. Aydin, et al. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 2007
Honors & Awards
- Honorary Membership, European Society for Paediatric Infectious Disease
Awarded for Outstanding Leadership in pediatric infectious diseases worldwide (2012)
- Maxwell Finland Lecture
Honorary Lecture, Infectious Disease Society of America (2012)
- Special Recognition Certificate for Education
American Academy of Pediatrics (2011)
- Honorary Doctorate of Medicine, University of Athens, Athens, Greece,
- Kellogg Award
from Williams College for a Distinguished Career in Pediatric MEdicine (2008)
- Cornell University Medical College Distinguished Alumnus Award
For a Distinguished Career in Pediatric Infectious Diseases (2006)
- The Maxwell Finland Award
for Scientific Achievements from the National Foundation for Infectious Diseases (2004)
- Mentor Award for a Distinguished Lifetime Record of Mentorship in Infectious Diseases
from the Infectious Disease Society of America (2003)
- Distinguished Physician Award for LIfetime Achievements in Research and Training in Pediatric Infectious Diseases
from the Pediatric Infectious Diseases Society (2001)
- Chairman/Director, Research Rounds (1995)
- Chief Editor, The Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal (1982-Present) (1982)
- Society for Pediatric Research (1972)
- Co-Director, The National Pediatric Infectious Disease Seminar (1981-2008) (1882-2008)
- American Society for Microgiology
- European Pediatric Infectious Disease Society; Pediatric Infectious Diseases Society
- Infectious Diseases Society of America; American Academy of Pediatrics