Dr. Barnes is originally from Mumbai, India and underwent her residency training at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics before heading to the Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center for her fellowship in Infectious Diseases. She was drawn to international HIV through her work with OVCs (Orphans and Vulnerable Children) in Uganda, Zambia and Tanzania and has an MPH with a focus in International Health and Humanitarian Aid from the Harvard School of Public Health. She was faculty at the University of Mississippi Medical Center from 2010 to 2013 and worked as the Director of the Cervical Dysplasia Screening Clinic at the Mississippi State Health Department. She was a co-PI for the state of Mississippi for two CDC HIV surveillance projects- the MMP and CSBS projects and brings to UTSW a diverse background in HIV, STDs, international health, HPV screening and LGBT care.
- Medical School
- D.Y. Patil Medical College (2003)
- Harvard Humanitarian Initiative (2004), Health Services Research
- Medical School
- Harvard School of Public Health (2004)
- University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (2006), Psychiatry
- University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (2008), Internal Medicine
- Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center (2010), Infectious Diseases
- HIV and HPV co-infection
- LGBT Research with a Focus on Transgender Care
- STDs with a Focus on HPV and Anal Dysplasia
- Healthcare Provider Attitudes, Practices, and Recommendations for Enhancing Routine HIV Testing and Linkage to Care in the Mississippi Delta Region.
- Sison N, Yolken A, Poceta J, Mena L, Chan PA, Barnes A, Smith E, Nunn A AIDS Patient Care STDS 2013 Sep 27 9 511-7
- Symptomatic Trichomonas vaginalis infection in the setting of severe nitroimidazole allergy: successful treatment with boric acid.
- Muzny C, Barnes A, Mena L Sex Health 2012 Sep 9 4 389-91
- Addressing Mississippi's HIV/AIDS crisis.
- Nunn A, Barnes A, Cornwall A, Rana A, Mena L Lancet 2011 Oct 378 9798 1217
- Current diagnosis and management of peripheral tuberculous lymphadenitis.
- Fontanilla JM, Barnes A, von Reyn CF Clin. Infect. Dis. 2011 Sep 53 6 555-62
- A fatal central nervous system enterovirus 68 infection.
- Kreuter JD, Barnes A, McCarthy JE, Schwartzman JD, Oberste MS, Rhodes CH, Modlin JF, Wright PF Arch. Pathol. Lab. Med. 2011 Jun 135 6 793-6
Occupational Stressors and Coronary Heart Diseases. In Readings in Psychology: Enhacing Human Potential
Barnes A (2006). New Delhi, India, Allied Publishers
- Southern Society for Clinical Investigation (2013)
- Infectious Diseases Society of America (2010)