Dr. Lee obtained his B.A. from Amherst College and received his medical degree from Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. He did his training in Internal Medicine at the Presbyterian Hospital, New York City (Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center) and served as Chief Resident on the Internal Medicine service. He was Honorary Registrar and Research Fellow to Dr. Roger Williams at the Liver Unit, Kings College Hospital, London from 1973-74. He has been on the faculty of Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, and was Director of the Gastroenterology Division at the Medical University of South Carolina before coming to UT Southwestern in 1990.
- Medical School
- Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons (1967)
- New York Presbyterian Hospital (1968), Medicine
- New York Presbyterian Hospital (1973), Internal Medicine
- Kings College School of Medicine (1974), Gastroenterology & Liver Diseases
- Acute liver failure
- Drug-induced hepatotoxicity
- Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C
- Association of Variants of Arginine Vasopressin and Arginine Vasopressin Receptor 1A With Severe Acetaminophen Liver Injury.
- Randesi M, Levran O, Correa da Rosa J, Hankins J, Rule J, Kreek MJ, Lee WM Cell Mol Gastroenterol Hepatol 2017 May 3 3 500-505
- The Natural History of Severe Acute Liver Injury.
- Koch DG, Speiser JL, Durkalski V, Fontana RJ, Davern T, McGuire B, Stravitz RT, Larson AM, Liou I, Fix O, Schilsky ML, McCashland T, Hay JE, Murray N, Shaikh OS, Ganger D, Zaman A, Han SB, Chung RT, Brown RS, Munoz S, Reddy KR, Rossaro L, Satyanarayana R, Hanje AJ, Olson J, Subramanian RM, Karvellas C, Hameed B, Sherker AH, Lee WM, Reuben A Am. J. Gastroenterol. 2017 Apr
- Elbasvir/Grazoprevir for Patients With Hepatitis C Virus Infection and Inherited Blood Disorders: A Phase III Study.
- Hézode C, Colombo M, Bourlière M, Spengler U, Ben-Ari Z, Strasser SI, Lee WM, Morgan L, Qiu J, Hwang P, Robertson M, Nguyen BY, Barr E, Wahl J, Haber B, Chase R, Talwani R, Di Marco V Hepatology 2017 Mar
- Heat Stroke Leading to Acute Liver Injury & Failure: A Case Series from the Acute Liver Failure Study Group.
- Davis BC, Tillman H, Chung RT, Stravitz RT, Reddy KR, Fontana RJ, McGuire B, Davern T, Lee WM Liver Int. 2017 Jan
- Elevated FABP1 serum levels are associated with poorer survival in acetaminophen-induced acute liver failure.
- Karvellas CJ, Speiser JL, Tremblay M, Lee WM, Rose CF Hepatology 2016 Nov
- Corrigendum: Clinical Features and Outcomes of Complementary and Alternative Medicine Induced Acute Liver Failure and Injury.
- Hillman L, Gottfried M, Whitsett M, Rakela J, Schilsky M, Lee WM, Ganger D Am. J. Gastroenterol. 2016 Oct 111 10 1504
- Budd-Chiari Syndrome Causing Acute Liver Failure: A Multicenter Case Series.
- Parekh J, Matei VM, Canas-Coto A, Friedman D, Lee WM Liver Transpl. 2016 Sep
- An Immunoassay to Rapidly Measure Acetaminophen Protein Adducts Accurately Identifies Patients with Acute Liver Injury or Failure.
- Roberts DW, Lee WM, Hinson JA, Bai S, Swearingen CJ, Stravitz RT, Reuben A, Letzig L, Simpson PM, Rule J, Fontana RJ, Ganger D, Reddy KR, Liou I, Fix O, James LP Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2016 Sep
- HBV-associated Acute Liver Failure after Immunosuppression and Risk of Death.
- Karvellas CJ, Cardoso FS, Gottfried M, Reddy KR, Hanje AJ, Ganger D, Lee WM Clin. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2016 Jun
- The role of hepatitis E virus infection in Adult Americans with acute liver failure.
- Fontana RJ, Engle RE, Scaglione S, Araya V, Shaikh O, Tillman H, Attar N, Purcell RH, Lee WM Hepatology 2016 May
Acute Liver Failure
Lee WM and Williams R. (1997). London, Cambridge University Press
Honors & Awards
- Distinguished Clinician Educator/Mentor Award, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
- Hyman Zimmerman Memorial Lecturer, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
- Leon Schiff Lecturer, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
- A. Blaine Brower Traveling Scholar
American College of Physicians (0)
- Alpha Omega Alpha
Medical Honor Society (0)
American Association for the Study of Liver Disease (0)
- Thomas A. and Shirley W. Roe Award
Journal of the South Carolina Medical Association (0)
- American College of Physicians (1976)
- American Association for the Study of Liver Disease
- American College of Gastroenterology
- American Gastroenterological Association