Dr. St. John is a board certified pediatrician, and a NIC-Advanced certified sign language interpreter through the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf. She completed her MD degree at the University of Virginia School of Medicine, and then attended Georgetown University Hospital in Washington DC for her residency in pediatrics. Her interests include language access, advocacy, and supporting effective medical home for children who are deaf and hard of hearing.
Dr. St. John joined the UTSW Department of Otolaryngology in 2012 when offered the exciting opportunity to provide a collaborative and comprehensive care service for children who are deaf or hard of hearing. She is the director of the Family-Focused Center for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Children at Children’s Medical Center Dallas/UT Southwestern Medical Center. The FFC provides support for families to make informed decisions regarding language, educational, and developmental opportunities, as well as provides collaborative support to community providers caring for these patients in keeping with national standards. Dr. St. John also is a health education consultant at the state and national level, a designated sign language interpreter in the field of psychiatric research, and is a member of the AAP Early Hearing Detection and Intervention Task Force.
- Medical School
- University of Virginia School of Medicine (1999)
- Georgetown University Medical Center (2000), Pediatrics
- Georgetown University Medical Center (2003), Pediatrics
- Graduate School
- Gallaudet University (2004), Counseling
- Developmental outcomes for children who are deaf or hard of hearing
- Newborn hearing screening
- Resident education and practice retention
- Developmental, audiological, and speech perception functioning in children after cochlear implant surgery: a reply.
- St John R, Nelson DB Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2004 Apr 158 4 401; author reply 401-2
Marketing EHDI. In The NCHAM eBook ? A Resource Guide for Early Hearing Detection and Intervention (EHDI
St. John R, Bailan C. (2012).
Neonatal Hearing Screening. In Atlas of Procedures in Neonatology
St. John R, Morgan S. Neonatal Hearing Screening. In: MacDonald MG, Ramasethu J (2006). Washington, DC, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
Honors & Awards
- EHDI Award of Excellence (AAP, CDC, MCHB/HRSA)
For continued efforts to improve the lives of children and families through early hearing detection and intervention as the Texas AAP Chapter Champion (2011)
- External Collaboration Award, Gallaudet University
In recognition of major contributions to the Gallaudet University Community, and in particular, to the students of the Department of Counseling, throughout the years (2008)
- Pediatric Resident of the Year
Georgetown University Hospital Pediatric Residency Program outstanding resident of the year award (2004)
- Resident Teaching Award
Hugh Hussey Resident Teaching Award in Pediatrics (2001)
- Robert Wood Johnson Generalist Scholar
Primary care medical education scholarship (1995-1999)
- Dallas Medical Society (2012)
- Texas Pediatric Society (2010)
- Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (2009)
- National Board of Certified Counselors (2004)
- American Academy of Pediatrics (2002)