Dr Anil Kumar Pillai is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Diagnostic Radiology and Interventional Radiology at University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas. Dr Pillai is also the Medical Director of the Interventional Radiology service at Parkland Memorial Hospital.
Dr Anil Kumar Pillai received an M.B.B.S. degree from Kerala University, in Trivandrum, India, in 1994. He was awarded the M.D. degree in Radiology in 1998 after completing a residency in Diagnostic Radiology at Sardar Patel Medical College, University of Rajasthan, India. He worked as an Assistant Professor at Amirta Institute of Medical Sciences in India for 4 years. He then worked as a consultant Radiologist in the Middle East for a year and moved to England. While in England, Dr Pillai passed board examinations in Radiology and was awarded the title “Fellow of the Royal College of Radiologist (FRCR)”. He worked in England as a consultant radiologist at Burnley General Hospital in East Lancahire before he moved to the United States to do a fellowship in Interventional Radiology in 2005. After completing a 2 year fellowship in Interventional Radiology at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, Dr Pillai worked as a faculty member at Rush form 2007 to 2012.Dr Pillai is a board certified physician by American Board of Radiology and has the certificate of added qualification (CAQ) in interventional radiology. Dr Pillai’s clinic interests and area of expertize include
- Interventional Oncology: liver directed therapies (Radio and chemoembolizations), Percutaneous tumor Ablation (Liver and Kidney Tumors)
- Women’s Health: Uterine Fibroid Embolization (UFE), Pelvic Congestion syndrome
- Peripheral vascular disease: Angiogram, Angioplasty, Stent placement, Recanalization procedures, Arteri-venous malformations.
- Dialysis Access Interventions: Fistula maintanances and difficult central venous access.
- Venous Interventions: DVT lysis, Varicose vein ablation
- Others: TIPS, non-vascular interventions: Abscess drains, Biopsies, neprostomy, biliary drainage.
Dr. Pillai is of Indian heritage, and speaks multiple Indian languages. He is an avid traveller and runner. He has completed several half and Full marathons. He is married and has two children.
- Medical School
- Trivandrum Medical College (1993)
- Government Medical College (1994), General Surgery
- Sardar Patel Medical College - India (1999), Radiology
- Rush University Medical Center VIR Program (2007), Vascular & Interventional Radiology
Dialysis Access Management
- Dialysis Catheter Access for Hemodialysis
- Dialysis Fistual or Graft Declot
- Dialysis Fistulogram/Graftogram
- Adrenal Vein Sampling
- Image Guided Abscess or Fluid Drainage
- Image Guided Biopsy
- Parathyroid Vein Sampling
- Venous Sampling
Endovascular Therapy - Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
- Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
- Inferior Vena Cava (IVC) Filter Placement or Removal/Retrieval
- May Turner Syndrome (Illiofemoral Deep Vein Thrombosis)
- Paget Schrotter Syndrome (Upper Extermity Deep Vein Thrombosis)
Endovascular Therapy - Embolization/Exclusions
- Angiomyolipoma of Kidney
- Arteriovenous Malformation (AVM)
- Mesenteric Artery Aneurysm
- Mesenteric Ischemia
- Pelvic Congestion Syndrome
- Pulmonary Arteriovenous Malformation
- Pulmonary Thrombolysis
- Renal Artery Aneurysm
- Splenic Artery Aneurysm
- Uterine Fibroids/Uterine Fibroid Embolization (UFE)
- Venous Malformation
- Venous Thrombolysis
Endovascular Therapy - Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD)
- Peripheral Vascular Disease (PVD)
- Peripheral Vascular Interventions
Interventional Therapy for Portal Hypertension
- Balloon Occluded Retrograde Transverse Obliterations of Varies (BRTO)
- Portal Hypertension (Variceal Bleeding, Refractory Ascities)
- Transjugular Intrahepatic Portosystemic Shunt (TIPS)
- Microwave Ablation (MVA)
- Radiofrequency Ablation (RFA)
- Radiofrequency Ablation (RFA) Treatment Hepatocellular Carcinoma or Hepatoma
- Radiofrequency Ablation (RFA)Treatment for Renal Cancer
- Radiofrequency Ablation for Liver Metastases & Cholangiocarcinoma
- Y90 Radioembolization
- Chemoembolization (TACE)
- Pulmonary Embolism
Varicose Vein Treatment
- Laser Ablation of Varicose Veins
- Varicose Veins
- Liver directed therapies
- Portal hypertension
- Transient disorientation and severe bradycardia after carbon dioxide angiography.
- Pillai AK, Shah AP, Ferral H, Madassery S, Asselmeier S, Paruchuri S J Vasc Interv Radiol 2010 Jun 21 6 805-6
- Transient bacteremia after a percutaneous liver biopsy.
- Sheth D, Pillai A, Ferral H, Madassery S J Vasc Interv Radiol 2009 Nov 20 11 1429-30
- Median nerve injury as a result of medial brachial fascial compartment syndrome.
- Pillai AK, Bashir M, Ferral H, Paruchuri S, Domkan A J Vasc Interv Radiol 2007 Nov 18 11 1434-5
- Brachial plexus injury related to patient positioning.
- Pillai AK, Ferral H, Desai S, Paruchuri S, Asselmeier S, Perez-Gautrin R J Vasc Interv Radiol 2007 Jul 18 7 833-4
- Comparison of carotid Doppler ultrasound and computerised tomographic angiography in the evaluation of carotid artery stenosis.
- Titi M, George C, Bhattacharya D, Rahi A, Woodhead PM, Stevenson WJ, Pillai A, Al-Khaffaf H Surgeon 2007 Jun 5 3 132-6
- Intra-arterial contrast-enhanced spiral CT: adjunct to angiography for localizing obscure gastrointestinal bleed.
- Sreekumar KP, Moorthy S, Prabhu NK, Pillai AK Indian J Gastroenterol 2002 Nov-Dec 21 6 230-1
Vascular Devices p313-332,. In Cardiovascular Imaging, Problem solving in Radiology series 1st Edition, Suhny Abbara and Sanjeeva P. Kalva, Saunders PA
AK Pillai, AC Quiroz, S Kalva: Vascular Devices p313-332, (2012). Saunders PA
- Society of Interventional Radiology (2007)
- Radiological Society of North America (2004)
- Royal College of Radiologists (2003)