Nakia Gaines, MD, was born and raised in Jacksonville, Florida. Her passion for caring for acutely ill children led her to pursue a career in pediatric medicine. She completed her medical degree at University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, and then completed pediatric residency training at Johns Hopkins Hospital. After completing residency, Dr. Gaines moved to Houston, Texas to complete a pediatric emergency medicine fellowship at Texas Children’s Hospital. Dr. Gaines is an assistant professor in the pediatric emergency medicine section. Her research interests include injury prevention and car seat safety.
- Medical School
- University of Miami School of Medicine (2005)
- Johns Hopkins School of Medicine (2008), Pediatrics
- Baylor College of Medicine (2012), Pediatric Emergency Medicine
- Etiologies of septic shock in a pediatric emergency department population.
- Gaines NN, Patel B, Williams EA, Cruz AT Pediatr. Infect. Dis. J. 2012 Nov 31 11 1203-5
- Pneumothorax, Pneumomediastinum, and Pulmonary Embolism
- Johnson NN, Toledo A, Endom E Pediatric Clinics of North America 2010 Dec 57 6 1357-1383
Honors & Awards
- Medicine Trustee Scholarship
University of Miami School of Medicine (2001-2005)
- American Academy of Pediatrics