Dr. Stephen Reis received his Bachelor of Science degree from the University of California at San Diego in 2003 with a focus on Biochemistry and Cellular Biology. In 2007, Dr. Reis earned his Doctor of Medicine degree from New York Medical College in Valhalla, New York. He completed his transitional internship year at St. Vincent’s Catholic Medical Center, an affiliate of New York Medical College, in New York City in 2008. During this year of training, Dr. Reis developed a strong foundation in Medicine, Surgery, Pediatrics and Critical Care Medicine.
Dr. Reis went on to complete his Diagnostic Radiology residency at Westchester Medical Center. He was selected by his peers to serve as Chief Resident during his final year of residency, where he developed strong clinical and leadership skills which continue to serve him today. In 2012, he was awarded the Rita Girolamo, M.D. award for his clinical, academic and research excellence during residency.
In 2013, Dr. Reis completed advanced subspecialty training in Vascular and Interventional Radiology at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. He was recruited to join the section of Interventional radiology at UTSW following completion of his training for his interests in pulmonary oncologic intervention and uterine fibroid embolization. Dr. Reis’ other areas of interest and expertise include chemoembolization, radioembolization, radiofrequency ablation, biliary stent placement, percutaneous biopsy, IVC filter placement and retrieval, venous access procedures, dialysis access intervention and peripheral vascular interventions. Dr. Reis also has a keen interest in institutional efforts to improve patient quality and safety and serves as the IR section’s quality assurance liaison.
- University of California-San D (2003), Biochemistry
- Medical School
- New York Medical College (2007), Medicine
- Inferior Vena Cava Filter Complications and Retrieval
- Interventional Oncology
- Pulmonary Chemoembolization
- Uterine Artery Embolization
- Venous Sampling
- Improving Inferior Vena Cava Filter Retrieval Rates with the Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve, Control Methodology.
- Sutphin PD, Reis SP, McKune A, Ravanzo M, Kalva SP, Pillai AK J Vasc Interv Radiol 2015 Jan
- Interpretation of outside imaging studies: solutions from a tertiary care trauma center.
- Reis SP, Lefkovitz Z, Kaur S, Seiler M J Am Coll Radiol 2012 Aug 9 8 591-594.e1
- Spontaneous splenic rupture secondary to Babesia microti infection: treatment with splenic artery embolization.
- Reis SP, Maddineni S, Rozenblit G, Allen D J Vasc Interv Radiol 2011 May 22 5 732-4
Honors & Awards
- Rita Girolamo Award for Outstanding Resident of the Year
Dr. Reis received this award which is given to the outstanding radiology resident of the year in the graduating class from New York Medical College (2012)
- Society of Interventional Radiology (2010)
- American College of Radiology (2008)
- Radiology Society of North America (2008)