Dr. Kennard has over 20 years of clinical experience with children and adolescents with a variety of psychiatric disorders. She has served as Program Director and Director of Outpatient Psychological Services at CMC, and assumed directorship of Psychological Services in 1992. During these years, she supervised numerous psychotherapists and staff in treating inpatient and outpatient youth with a variety of disorders. In 1996, she became the Associate Program Chair of the Psychology doctoral program, while continuing to participate in clinical research trials.
In 2003, Dr. Kennard began a full-time career in research in the Department of Psychiatry. The focus of her research has been adolescent depression, and she has worked on several NIMH-funded trials evaluating the integration of cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and medication treatment. Specifically, she has been involved in the development of several treatment manuals for CBT for adolescents with moderate to severe depression, treatment resistant depression, and teens who have made a recent suicide attempt. More recently, she has begun developing cognitive behavioral treatments for the prevention of relapse in youth who are in remission for major depressive disorder.
- Undergraduate School
- Baylor University (1980), Psychology
- Graduate School
- Baylor University (1984)
- Child and adolescent depression
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) for youth
- Suicidal behavior in teens
- Assessment of safety and long-term outcomes of initial treatment with placebo in TADS
- Kennard, B.D., Silva, S., Mayes, T.L., Rohde, P., Hughes, J.L., Vitiello, B., Kratochvil, C.J., Curry, J.F., Emslie, G.J., Reinecke, M., & March, J. American Journal of Psychiatry in press
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy to prevent relapse in pediatric responders to pharmacotherapy for major depressive disorder.
- Kennard BD, Emslie GJ, Mayes TL, Nightingale-Teresi J, Nakonezny PA, Hughes JL, Jones JM, Tao R, Stewart SM, Jarrett RB J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2008 Dec 47 12 1395-404
- Switching to another SSRI or to venlafaxine with or without cognitive behavioral therapy for adolescents with SSRI-resistant depression.
- Brent, D., Emslie, G., Clarke, G., Wagner, K., Asarnow, J.A., Keller, M., Vitiello, B., Ritz, L., Iynegar, S., Abebe, K., Birmaher, B., Ryan, N., Kennard, B., Hughes, C., DeBar, L., McCracken, J., Strober, M., Suddath, R., Spirito, A., Leonard, H., Melhem, N., Porta, G., Onorato, M., & Zelazny, J. Journal of the American Medical Association 2008 299 901-913
- Fluoxetine, cognitive-behavioral therapy, and their combination for adolescents with depression: Treatment for Adolescents with Depression Study (TADS) randomized controlled trial
- Treatment for Adolescents with Depression Study (TADS) Team JAMA 2004 292 807-820
- Nonadherence in adolescent oncology patients: Preliminary data on psychological risk factors and relationships to outcome
- Kennard BD, Stewart SM, Olvera R, Bawdon RE, O hAilin A, Lewis CP, Winick N Journal of Clinical Psychology in Medical Settings 2004 11 30-39
- Remission and recovery in the Treatment for Adolescents with Depression Study (TADS): Acute and long-term outcomes
- Kennard, B.D., Silva, S.G., Tonev, S., Rohde, P., Hughes, J.L., Vitiello, B., Kratochvil, C.J., Curry, J.F., Emslie, G.J., Reinecke, M., & March, J. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry in press
- Effective Treatment of Depressive Disorders in Medical Clinics for Adolescents and Young Adults Living With HIV: A Controlled Trial.
- Brown LK, Kennard BD, Emslie GJ, Mayes TL, Whiteley LB, Bethel J, Xu J, Thornton S, Tanney MR, Hawkins LA, Garvie PA, Subramaniam GA, Worrell CJ, Stoff LW J. Acquir. Immune Defic. Syndr. 2016 Jan 71 1 38-46
- Continued Effectiveness of Relapse Prevention Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy Following Fluoxetine Treatment in Youth With Major Depressive Disorder.
- Emslie GJ, Kennard BD, Mayes TL, Nakonezny PA, Moore J, Jones JM, Foxwell AA, King J J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2015 Dec 54 12 991-8
- Developing a Targeted Intervention for Suicide Prevention: A Qualitative Report
- Kennard, B., Biernesser, C., Wolfe, K., Foxwell, A., Rial, K., Patel, S., Cheng, C., Goldstein, T., McMakin, D., Blastos, B., Douaihy, A., Zelazny, J. & Brent, D. Journal of Technology in Human Services 2015 33 4 345-357
- Sequential Treatment With Fluoxetine and Relapse-Prevention CBT to Improve Outcomes in Pediatric Depression.
- Kennard BD, Emslie GJ, Mayes TL, Nakonezny PA, Jones JM, Foxwell AA, King J Am J Psychiatry 2014 Jun
Honors & Awards
- Outstanding Mentor
Graduate Students in Clinical Psychology, UT Southwestern (2008)
- Distinguished Psychologist
Dallas Psychological Association Award (2001)
- Mentor of the Year
Texas Psychological Association, Div. of Students (1996)
- Mortar Board Woman of the Year
Baylor University (1996)
- Outstanding Young Alumni
Baylor University (1996)
- Academy of Cognitive Therapy
- American Psychological Association
- Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies
- Dallas Psychological Association