Yunsun Nam is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and the Department of Biophysics. She is a member of the Cecil H. and Ida Green Center for Reproductive Biology Sciences.
Dr. Nam obtained a BA in Biochemical Sciences from Harvard College in 1999. Under the direction of Dr. Stephen C. Blacklow, she obtained her PhD in Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology in 2006. Following this, she completed postdoctoral fellowships at Harvard Medical School in Dr. Tom A. Rapoport’s laboratory in the Department of Cell Biology and then in Dr. Piotr Sliz laboratory in the Department of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology.
Dr. Nam studies mechanisms of non-coding RNAs and their role in gene regulation important for development and cancer. A major focus is the molecular mechanism and regulation of microRNA processing. She uses various biochemical and biophysical approaches including X-ray crystallography, NMR spectroscopy, molecular biology, nucleic acid/protein biochemistry, high throughput sequencing, and eukaryotic cell-based studies. Her long term goal is not only to elucidate how ncRNAs work but also to identify new avenues for developing therapeutics.
- Graduate School
- Harvard University (2006)
- Gene regulation
- non-coding RNAs
- Structure and Function of Macromolecular complexes
- Structural Basis for Cooperative Function of Mettl3 and Mettl14 Methyltransferases.
- Wang P, Doxtader KA, Nam Y Mol. Cell 2016 Jun
- Molecular basis for interaction of let-7 microRNAs with Lin28.
- Nam Y, Chen C, Gregory RI, Chou JJ, Sliz P Cell 2011 Nov 147 5 1080-91
- Structure of human O-GlcNAc transferase and its complex with a peptide substrate.
- Lazarus MB, Nam Y, Jiang J, Sliz P, Walker S Nature 2011 Jan 469 7331 564-7
- Structure of a complex of the ATPase SecA and the protein-translocation channel.
- Zimmer J, Nam Y, Rapoport TA Nature 2008 Oct 455 7215 936-43
- Cooperative assembly of higher-order Notch complexes functions as a switch to induce transcription.
- Nam Y, Sliz P, Pear WS, Aster JC, Blacklow SC Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2007 Feb 104 7 2103-8
- Structural basis for cooperativity in recruitment of MAML coactivators to Notch transcription complexes.
- Nam Y, Sliz P, Song L, Aster JC, Blacklow SC Cell 2006 Mar 124 5 973-83
- HP1BP3, a Chromatin Retention Factor for Co-transcriptional MicroRNA Processing.
- Liu H, Liang C, Kollipara RK, Matsui M, Ke X, Jeong BC, Wang Z, Yoo KS, Yadav GP, Kinch LN, Grishin NV, Nam Y, Corey DR, Kittler R, Liu Q Mol. Cell 2016 Jul
- Data publication with the structural biology data grid supports live analysis.
- Meyer PA, Socias S, Key J, Ransey E, Tjon EC, Buschiazzo A, Lei M, Botka C, Withrow J, Neau D, Rajashankar K, Anderson KS, Baxter RH, Blacklow SC, Boggon TJ, Bonvin AM, Borek D, Brett TJ, Caflisch A, Chang CI, Chazin WJ, Corbett KD, Cosgrove MS, Crosson S, Dhe-Paganon S, Di Cera E, Drennan CL, Eck MJ, Eichman BF, Fan QR, Ferré-D'Amaré AR, Christopher Fromme J, Garcia KC, Gaudet R, Gong P, Harrison SC, Heldwein EE, Jia Z, Keenan RJ, Kruse AC, Kvansakul M, McLellan JS, Modis Y, Nam Y, Otwinowski Z, Pai EF, Pereira PJ, Petosa C, Raman CS, Rapoport TA, Roll-Mecak A, Rosen MK, Rudenko G, Schlessinger J, Schwartz TU, Shamoo Y, Sondermann H, Tao YJ, Tolia NH, Tsodikov OV, Westover KD, Wu H, Foster I, Fraser JS, Maia FR, Gonen T, Kirchhausen T, Diederichs K, Crosas M, Sliz P Nat Commun 2016 7 10882
- A grid-enabled web service for low-resolution crystal structure refinement.
- O'Donovan DJ, Stokes-Rees I, Nam Y, Blacklow SC, Schröder GF, Brunger AT, Sliz P Acta Crystallogr. D Biol. Crystallogr. 2012 Mar 68 Pt 3 261-7
- Conformational locking upon cooperative assembly of notch transcription complexes.
- Choi SH, Wales TE, Nam Y, O'Donovan DJ, Sliz P, Engen JR, Blacklow SC Structure 2012 Feb 20 2 340-9
Honors & Awards
- Pew Scholar in the Biomedical Sciences
- Cancer Prevention Research Institute of Texas
First Time Faculty Recruitment Award (2013)
- Packard Fellowship for Science and Engineering
The David and Lucile Packard Foundation (2013)
- Southwestern Medical Foundation Scholar in Biomedical Research
Endowed Scholars Program, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (2013)
- Charles A. King Trust Postdoctoral Research Fellowship
Charles A. King Trust, N.A., Bank of America, Co‐Trustee. (2011)
- Damon Runyon Postdoctoral Fellowship
Damon Runyon Cancer Research Foundation (2007)
- The Jane Coffin Childs Postdoctoral Fellowship
The Jane Coffin Childs Memorial Fund for Medical Research (declined) (2007)