Dr. Kaplan is Professor of Internal Medicine at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center where he has been on the faculty for more than forty years. For the last thirty, his teaching, writing and research have focused primarily upon clinical aspects of hypertension.
He has lectured extensively and contributed over 500 papers to the medical literature. The ninth edition of his textbook, Kaplan's Clinical Hypertension, was published in early 2006. He has been a member of the third, fourth, fifth, and sixth Joint National Committees on Detection, Evaluation and Treatment of High Blood Pressure.
He has been made a Master of the American College of Physicians, given the Lifetime Achievement Award by the American Heart Association's Council for High Blood Pressure Research, and served on the Executive Committee of the American Society of Hypertension from its founding.
Dr. Kaplan sees patients on a one-time-only basis, on referral from another physician. His clinic dates and times vary according to his lecture schedule.
- University of Texas at Austin (1950)
- Medical School
- University of Texas Southwestern Med Ctr Dallas (1954)
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Kaplan's Clinical Hypertension
- Kaplan NM Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia PA 2006 9th ed.
- The final nail for sodium reduction
- Kaplan NM Curr Hypertens Rep November 2007 9(5) 349-50
- Is there an unrecognized epidemic of primary aldosteronism?
- Kaplan NM Hypertension September 2007 50(3) 454-8
- Treatment of hypertension in the prevention and management of ischemic heart disease: a scientific statement from the AHA Council for High BP Res and the Councils on Clin Cardiol and Epidemiol and Prevention
- Rosendorff C, Black HR, Cannon CP, Gersh BJ, Gore J, Izzo JL Jr., Kaplan NM, O’Connor CM, O’Gara PT, Oparil S, et al. Circulation May 2007 115(21) 2761-88
- Clinical trials for hypertension: expectations fulfilled and unfulfilled.
- Kaplan NM Hypertension February 2007 49(2) 257-9
Kaplan's Clinical Hypertension,10th edition
norman m kaplan (2010). Philadelphia, LWW
Honors & Awards
- Honorary Member, Spanish Society of Hypertension
- Great Teacher Award, National Institutes of Health
- Lifetime Achievement Award, The Council for High Blood Pressure Research
- Master, American College of Physicians
- American Society of Hypertension (Chairman, Specialists Program)
- Hypertension (Associate Editor)
- Journal of American Society of Hypertension (Associate Editor)
- World Health Organization/International Society of Hypertension (WHO-ISH) Guidelines Committee