Patricia M Jones is the Clinical Director of the Chemistry and Metabolic Disease Labs at Children’s Medical Center of Dallas, TX, and a Professor of Pathology and Medical Laboratory Science at UT Southwestern Medical Center. Her PhD is in Molecular Biology with a minor in Biochemistry, received from Texas Woman’s University,Denton,TX. in 1986. She did her clinical chemistry training as a Fellow at UT Southwestern Medical Center and was board certified in clinical chemistry by the American Board of Clinical Chemistry in 1992.
Dr. Jones teaches Biochemistry to Medical Technology students at UT Southwestern School of Health Professions, and is on the faculty of a COMACC accredited Clinical Chemistry Fellowship program and ACGME accredited Pediatric Pathology Fellowship and Medical genetic fellowship programs at UT Southwestern. Her duties include instructing pathology residents and various fellows in aspects of clinical chemistry, and acting as a clinical consultant at theDallascounty hospital (Parkland) and the university hospital system. Her research interests lie in the field of inborn errors of metabolism, especially disorders of fatty acid metabolism.
Patti has been an active member of the American Association for Clinical Chemistry (AACC) since 1986, and is currently serving on the Board of Directors for that association. She is also on the Board of Directors of the National Academy of Clinical Biochemists (NACB).
|Graduate School||Texas Woman's University (1986)|
- fatty acid oxidation disorders
- Improved stable isotope dilution-gas chromatography-mass spectrometry method for serum or plasma free 3-hydroxy-fatty acids and its utility for the study of disorders of mitochondrial fatty acid beta-oxidation.
- Jones PM, Quinn R, Fennessey PV, Tjoa S, Goodman SI, Fiore S, Burlina AB, Rinaldo P, Boriack, RL, Bennett MJ. Clinical Chemistry February 2000 46 149-55
- Clinical applications of 3-hydroxy-fatty acid analysis by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry.
- Jones PM, Bennett MJ BBA - Mol Cell Biol Lip 2011 1811 657-662
- Mechanism of hyperinsulinism in short-chain 3-hydroxyacyl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiency involves activation of glutamate dehydrogenase.
- Li C, Chen P, Palladino A, Narayan S, Russell LK, Chen J, Stokes D, Butt YM, Jones PM, Collins HW, Strauss AW, Matschinsky FM, Bennett MJ, Stanley CA JBC 2010 41 285 31806-31818
- Deorphanization of GPR109B as a receptor for the beta-oxidation intermediate 3-OH-octanoic acid and its role in the regulation of lipolysis
- Ahmed K, Tunaru S, Langhans C-D, Hanson J, Michalski CW, Kolker S, Jones PM, Okun JG, Offermanns S. JBC 2009 33 284 21928-21933
- Medium-chain fatty acids undergo elongation before β-oxidation in fibroblasts
- Jones PM, Butt YM, Messmer B, Boriak, R, Bennett MJ Biochem Biophys Res Comm June 2006 346 193-197
- Effects of odd-numbered medium-chain fatty acids on the accumulation of long-chain 3-hydroxy-fatty acids in long-chain L-3-hydroxyacyl CoA dehydrogenase (LCHAD) and mitochondrial trifunctional protein (MTFP) deficient skin fibroblasts.
- Jones PM, Butt YM, Bennett MJ. Molecular Genetics and Metabolism 2004 81 (2) 96-99
- Accumulation of 3-hydroxy-fatty acids in the culture medium of long-chain L-3-hydroxyacyl CoA dehydrogenase and mitochondrial trifunctional protein deficient skin fibroblasts: Implications for medium chain triglyceri
- Jones PM, Butt Y, Bennett MJ. Pediatric Research May 2003 53(5) 783-7
- The changing face of newborn screening: diagnosis of inborn errors of metabolism by tandem mass spectrometry.
- Jones PM, Bennett MJ. Clinica Chimica Acta October 2002 324 121-8
- Accumulation of free 3-hydroxy-fatty acids in the culture media of fibroblasts from patients deficient in long-chain 3-hydroxyacyl CoA dehydrogenase: a useful diagnostic aid.
- Jones PM, Moffitt M, Joseph D, Harthcock PA, Boriack RL, Ibdah JA, Strauss AW, Bennett MJ. Clinical Chemistry July 2001 47(7) 1190-4
Quick Guide to Organic Acid Interpretation
Patricia Jones, Dinesh Rakheja (2011). Washington, DC, AACC Press
Pediatric Clinical Biochemistry: Why is it different?. In Biochemical and Molecular Basis of Pediatric Disease, 4th Ed.
Dietzen DJ, Bennett MJ, Wong ECC, eds. (2010). Washington, DC, AACC Press
3-Hydroxy-fatty acid analysis by gass chromatography-mass spectrometry. In Clinical Applications of Mass Spectrometry: Methods and Protocols
Garg U, Hammett-Stabler C, eds. (2010). New York, Humana Press
Honors & Awards
- Society for Young Clinical Laboratorians, February Mentor of the Month
chosen for mentoring new members of the profession (2010)
- Outstanding Contributions to Pediatric Clinical Chemistry
for service to the Pediatric and Maternal-Fetal Division of the AACC and the profession of pediatric clinical lab medicine (2009)
- Outstanding Speaker Award
given for excellent speaker ratings at presentations (2008)
- Outstanding Speaker Award
from AACC for a presentation (2002)
- Distinguished Teacher Award
Southwestern Allied Health Sciences School for teaching, chosen by students (1998)
- Young Investigator Award
from AACC for research (1986)
- American Association for Clinical Chemistry
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Society of Clinical Laboratory Science
- Association of Clinical Biochemists
- National Academy of Clinical Biochemists