Dr. Pruitt joined the faculty of UT Southwestern in March of 2012 as Assistant Professor in the Department of Clinical Sciences Division of Outcomes and Health Services Research. She is a member of the Harold C. Simmons Cancer Center. Prior to moving to Dallas, Dr. Pruitt completed a postdoctoral fellowship at the Washington University Medical School in the Division of Health Behavior Research.
Dr. Pruitt’s primary research interests lie at the interface of behavioral science, epidemiology, and health disparities research. Her research focuses on examining geographic, socioeconomic, and racial disparities in cancer and methodologic research designed to support the growing field of multilevel cancer prevention, with a focus on colorectal cancer.
- Evergreen State College (1998), Liberal Arts
- Graduate School
- University of Texas Health Science Center-Houston (2003), Public Health
- Graduate School
- University of Texas Health Science Center-Houston (2008), Public Health
- Administrative data research
- Cancer prevention and screening
- Colorectal cancer
- Health disparities
- Multilevel modeling, geographic information systems
- Neighborhoods, geography, and health
- Reliability of perceived neighbourhood conditions and the effects of measurement error on self-rated health across urban and rural neighbourhoods.
- Pruitt SL, Jeffe DB, Yan Y, Schootman M J Epidemiol Community Health 2012 Apr 66 4 342-51
- Geographic disparity, area poverty, and human papillomavirus vaccination.
- Pruitt SL, Schootman M Am J Prev Med 2010 May 38 5 525-33
- Association of area socioeconomic status and breast, cervical, and colorectal cancer screening: a systematic review.
- Pruitt SL, Shim MJ, Mullen PD, Vernon SW, Amick BC Cancer Epidemiol. Biomarkers Prev. 2009 Oct 18 10 2579-99
- Multilevel correlates for human papillomavirus vaccination of adolescent girls attending safety net clinics.
- Tiro JA, Pruitt SL, Bruce CM, Persaud D, Lau M, Vernon SW, Morrow J, Skinner CS Vaccine 2012 Mar 30 13 2368-75
- Temporal trends in geographic disparities in small-area-level colorectal cancer incidence and mortality in the United States.
- Schootman M, Lian M, Deshpande AD, McQueen A, Pruitt SL, Jeffe DB Cancer Causes Control 2011 Aug 22 8 1173-81
- National estimates of racial disparities in health status and behavioral risk factors among long-term cancer survivors and non-cancer controls.
- Schootman M, Deshpande AD, Pruitt SL, Aft R, Jeffe DB Cancer Causes Control 2010 Sep 21 9 1387-95
- Construct validity of a mammography processes of change scale and invariance by stage of change.
- Pruitt SL, McQueen A, Tiro JA, Rakowski W, Diclemente CC, Vernon SW J Health Psychol 2010 Jan 15 1 64-74
- Measures used in studies of informed decision making about cancer screening: a systematic review.
- Mullen PD, Allen JD, Glanz K, Fernandez ME, Bowen DJ, Pruitt SL, Glenn BA, Pignone M Ann Behav Med 2006 Dec 32 3 188-201
Honors & Awards
- CPRIT Scholar in Cancer Research award for First-Time, Tenure-Track Faculty Members
- American Society of Preventive Oncology New Investigator Workshop
- NIH/National Center for Minority Health and Health Disparities, Health Disparities Research Loan Repayment Program