Dr. Pruitt joined the faculty of UT Southwestern in March of 2012 as Assistant Professor in the Department of Clinical Sciences Division of Outcomes and Health Services Research. She is a member of the Harold C. Simmons Cancer Center. Prior to moving to Dallas, Dr. Pruitt completed a postdoctoral fellowship at the Washington University Medical School in the Division of Health Behavior Research.
Dr. Pruitt’s primary research interests lie at the interface of behavioral science, epidemiology, and health disparities research. Her research focuses on examining geographic, socioeconomic, and racial disparities in cancer and methodologic research designed to support the growing field of multilevel cancer prevention, with a focus on colorectal cancer.
- Evergreen State College (1998), Liberal Arts
- Graduate School
- University of Texas Health Sci (2003), Public Health
- Graduate School
- University of Texas Health Sci (2008), Public Health
- Administrative data research
- Cancer prevention and screening
- Colorectal cancer
- Health disparities
- Multilevel modeling, geographic information systems
- Neighborhoods, geography, and health
- Residential racial segregation and mortality among black, white, and Hispanic urban breast cancer patients in Texas, 1995 to 2009.
- Pruitt SL, Lee SJ, Tiro JA, Xuan L, Ruiz JM, Inrig S Cancer 2015 Feb
- Neighborhood effects in a behavioral randomized controlled trial.
- Pruitt SL, Leonard T, Murdoch J, Hughes A, McQueen A, Gupta S Health Place 2014 Nov 30 293-300
- Physicians, Clinics, and Neighborhoods: Multiple Levels of Influence on Colorectal Cancer Screening.
- Pruitt SL, Leonard T, Zhang S, Schootman M, Halm EA, Gupta S Cancer Epidemiol. Biomarkers Prev. 2014 Apr
- Multiple Comorbidities and Interest in Research Participation Among Clients of a Nonprofit Food Distribution Site.
- Higashi RT, Craddock Lee SJ, Leonard T, Cuate EL, Cole J, Pruitt SL Clin Transl Sci 2015 Aug
- Geographic Access to Mammography and Its Relationship to Breast Cancer Screening and Stage at Diagnosis: A Systematic Review.
- Khan-Gates JA, Ersek JL, Eberth JM, Adams SA, Pruitt SL Womens Health Issues 2015 Jul
- Impact of prior cancer on eligibility for lung cancer clinical trials.
- Gerber DE, Laccetti AL, Xuan L, Halm EA, Pruitt SL J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 2014 Nov 106 11
- Multilevel correlates for human papillomavirus vaccination of adolescent girls attending safety net clinics.
- Tiro JA, Pruitt SL, Bruce CM, Persaud D, Lau M, Vernon SW, Morrow J, Skinner CS Vaccine 2012 Mar 30 13 2368-75
- Geographic disparity, area poverty, and human papillomavirus vaccination.
- Pruitt SL, Schootman M Am J Prev Med 2010 May 38 5 525-33
- Association of area socioeconomic status and breast, cervical, and colorectal cancer screening: a systematic review.
- Pruitt SL, Shim MJ, Mullen PD, Vernon SW, Amick BC Cancer Epidemiol. Biomarkers Prev. 2009 Oct 18 10 2579-99
Honors & Awards
- CPRIT Scholar in Cancer Research award for First-Time, Tenure-Track Faculty Members
- American Society of Preventive Oncology New Investigator Workshop
- NIH/National Center for Minority Health and Health Disparities, Health Disparities Research Loan Repayment Program