My adventure as a health care provider started in 1991 when I was invited to work as a nursing assistant with adolescents at a Shriner’s Hospital in my hometown of Lexington, KY. This opportunity represented a departure from my original plans, yet it was the door through which I discovered my passion – medicine, patient care, and health education.
I was introduced to the unique role of the Physician Assistant (PA) while completing a clinical rotation during my second year of nursing school. I quickly realized that the PA profession was most consistent with my evolving interest in becoming a healthcare professional. After finishing nursing school I worked as a Registered Nurse in pediatric orthopedics and, in 1997, started PA school at the University of Kentucky. Following graduation, I worked in rural Kentucky at an Internal Medicine clinic for three years before relocating to Dallas where I have worked with a group internists at a North Dallas hospital since 2003.
In 2010 I accepted an opportunity to serve as a facilitator for a small group of UT Southwestern PA students learning physical exam skills. It didn’t take long to discover the professional satisfaction that accompanies teaching and mentoring. This experience motivated me to continue my education and I earned my Master’s degree in Physician Assistant Studies (MPAS) in 2011 from the University of Nebraska. I accepted a fulltime position here at UT Southwestern in 2012.
- Central Kentucky Technical Col (1995), Nursing
- University of Kentucky (1999), Physician Assistant Studies
- Graduate School
- University of Nebraska-Med Ctr (2011), Physician Assistant Studies
- Student Mental Health Implications for Physician Assistant Education
- Jones, P. Eugene; Williams, Jeffrey M. Journal of Physician Assistant Education 2014 25(2):5-10, 2014
Honors & Awards
- Texas Academy of Physician Assistants Outstanding Faculty Award Nominee 2015.
- UTSW School of Health Professions Department of PA Studies Outstanding Faculty Member 2015.
- UTSW School of Health Professions Distinguished Teacher Award Nominee 2014.
- Physician Assistant Education Association (2012)
- Texas Academy of Physician Assistants (2004)
- American Academy of Physician Assistants (2000)