Erdal Toprak received his Ph.D. in Computational Biology and Biophysics in 2007 from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign where he studied motility mechanisms of molecular motor proteins with Paul R. Selvin. He then moved to Roy Kishony's Lab at Harvard Medical School as a postdoctoral research fellow and studied evolution of antibiotic resistance.
- Antibiotic Resistance and Sensitivity
- Single Molecule Biophysics
- Synthetic Biology
- Strength of Selection Pressure Is an Important Parameter Contributing to the Complexity of Antibiotic Resistance Evolution.
- Oz T, Guvenek A, Yildiz S, Karaboga E, Tamer YT, Mumcuyan N, Ozan VB, Senturk GH, Cokol M, Yeh P, Toprak E Mol. Biol. Evol. 2014 Jun
- Evolutionary paths to antibiotic resistance under dynamically sustained drug selection.
- Toprak E, Veres A, Michel JB, Chait R, Hartl DL, Kishony R Nat. Genet. 2012 Jan 44 1 101-5
- Fluidic and microfluidic tools for quantitative systems biology.
- Okumus B, Yildiz S, Toprak E Curr. Opin. Biotechnol. 2014 Feb 25 30-8
- Building a morbidostat: an automated continuous-culture device for studying bacterial drug resistance under dynamically sustained drug inhibition.
- Toprak E, Veres A, Yildiz S, Pedraza JM, Chait R, Paulsson J, Kishony R Nat Protoc 2013 Mar 8 3 555-67
- Super-accuracy and super-resolution getting around the diffraction limit.
- Toprak E, Kural C, Selvin PR Meth. Enzymol. 2010 475 1-26
- Myosin VI undergoes a 180 degrees power stroke implying an uncoupling of the front lever arm.
- Reifenberger JG, Toprak E, Kim H, Safer D, Sweeney HL, Selvin PR Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2009 Oct 106 43 18255-60
- Why kinesin is so processive.
- Toprak E, Yildiz A, Hoffman MT, Rosenfeld SS, Selvin PR Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2009 Aug 106 31 12717-22
- Three-dimensional particle tracking via bifocal imaging.
- Toprak E, Balci H, Blehm BH, Selvin PR Nano Lett. 2007 Jul 7 7 2043-5
- Single-molecule fluorescence to study molecular motors.
- Park H, Toprak E, Selvin PR Q. Rev. Biophys. 2007 Feb 40 1 87-111
- New fluorescent tools for watching nanometer-scale conformational changes of single molecules.
- Toprak E, Selvin PR Annu Rev Biophys Biomol Struct 2007 36 349-69
Honors & Awards
- Southwestern Medical Foundation Scholar in Biomedical Research
- EMBO Installation Grant
- Human Frontiers Science Program Research Grant
- The Young Scientist Award by the Turkish Academy of Sciences (TÜBA)
- Marie Curie Career Integration Grant (CIG)
- Eugene Rabinowitch Graduate Fellowship
- UIUC "Teachers Ranked Excellent by Their Students"