Dr. Roberts received his B.S. and Ph.D. from the University of Maryland, where he studied the evolution of neuromodulatory circuits and the functional organization of pathways involved in vocal learning. As a postdoctoral fellow at Duke University Medical Center, Dr. Roberts studied how auditory memories are encoded and used to guide learning through the application of novel methods for imaging, manipulating and longitudinally tracking changes to neurons in the brain.
Dr. Roberts joined the Department of Neuroscience in March 2013.
- University of Maryland College (1996)
- Graduate School
- University of Maryland College (2003)
- In vivo imaging (2PLSM)
- Synaptic plasticity
- Systems neuroscience
- Vocal learning
- Identification of a motor-to-auditory pathway important for vocal learning.
- Roberts TF, Hisey E, Tanaka M, Kearney MG, Chattree G, Yang CF, Shah NM, Mooney R Nat. Neurosci. 2017 May
- Insights into the Neural and Genetic Basis of Vocal Communication.
- Konopka G, Roberts TF Cell 2016 Mar 164 6 1269-76
- Animal Models of Speech and Vocal Communication Deficits Associated with Psychiatric Disorders.
- Konopka G, Roberts TF Biol. Psychiatry 2015 Jul
- Imaging auditory representations of song and syllables in populations of sensorimotor neurons essential to vocal communication.
- Peh WY, Roberts TF, Mooney R J. Neurosci. 2015 Apr 35 14 5589-605
- Motor circuits help encode auditory memories of vocal models used to guide vocal learning.
- Roberts TF, Mooney R Hear. Res. 2013 Jan
- Motor circuits are required to encode a sensory model for imitative learning.
- Roberts TF, Gobes SM, Murugan M, Ölveczky BP, Mooney R Nat. Neurosci. 2012 Oct 15 10 1454-9
- Rapid spine stabilization and synaptic enhancement at the onset of behavioural learning.
- Roberts TF, Tschida KA, Klein ME, Mooney R Nature 2010 Feb 463 7283 948-52
- Telencephalic neurons monosynaptically link brainstem and forebrain premotor networks necessary for song.
- Roberts TF, Klein ME, Kubke MF, Wild JM, Mooney R J. Neurosci. 2008 Mar 28 13 3479-89
- A synaptic basis for auditory-vocal integration in the songbird.
- Bauer EE, Coleman MJ, Roberts TF, Roy A, Prather JF, Mooney R J. Neurosci. 2008 Feb 28 6 1509-22
- Homogeneity of intrinsic properties of sexually dimorphic vocal motoneurons in male and female zebra finches.
- Roberts TF, Wild JM, Kubke MF, Mooney R J. Comp. Neurol. 2007 May 502 1 157-69
Honors & Awards
- Postdoctoral NRSA
Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (2006)
- Cosmos Foundation
Grants-In-Aid to Young Scholars Cosmos Club Foundation (2003)
Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (2001-2003)
- International Society for Neuroethology (2005)
- Society for Neuroscience (2000)