Carroll W. Hughes, PhD, ABPP, joined the faculty at UT Southwestern in 1989 as a full professor, and had remained active in the doctoral Clinical Psychology department where he is currently an adjunct faculty. He has directed or served on over 80 dissertation committees. Dr. Hughes has over 100 publications involving psychiatric disorders mostly in children and adolescents. Dr. Hughes formerly served as the Director of Psychology at Terrell State Hospital in Terrell, Texas for 12 years. His primary focus at this time is with various components of the health care industry as abiostatistical and research consultant
|Graduate School||University of Missouri-Columbia (1973)|
- Health industry statistical analyses of cost saving interventions. Design and analysis of novel interventions to address metabolic syndrome and impact on cost to health industry. Health industry biostatistical consultation and biometrics implementation.
- Pediatric depression: Exercise to treat depression
- Treatment-resistant depression
- Remission of maternal depression reduces psychopathology in their children: A STAR*D Child report.
- Weissman MM, Pilowsky DJ, Wickramaratne PJ, Ardesheer T, Wisniewski S, Fava M, Hughes CW et al. Journal of the American Medical Association March 2006 in press
- Effect of structured interviews on evaluation time in pediatric community mental health settings.
- Hughes CW, Emslie GJ, Wohlfahrt H, Winslow R, Kashner TM, Rush AJ. Journal of Psychiatric Services September 2005 56(9) 1098-1103.
- A revised anchored version of the BPRS-C for childhood psychiatric disorders
- Hughes CW, Rintelmann J, Emslie GJ, et al J Child Adolesc Psychopharm 2001 (11)1 77-93
- Structured interview and uniform assessment improves diagnostic reliability
- Hughes CW, Rintelmann J, Mayes T, Emslie GJ, Pearson G, Rush AJ J Child Adolesc Psychopharm 2000 10(2) 119-131
- Fluoxetine versus placebo in preventing relapse of major depression in children and adoelscents
- Emslie GJ, Kennard BD, Nightingale-Teresi J, Carmody T, Hughes CW, et al American Journal of Psychiatry February 2008
- Switching to another SSRI or to venlafaxine with or without cognitive behavioral therapy for adolescents with SSRI-Resistant depression
- Brent D, Emslie GJ, Clarke GC, Wagner KD, Asarnow JR, Keller M, et al. Hughes, CW et al. Journal of the American Medical Association February 2008 299(8) 901-913
- Texas Children’s Medication Algorithm Project: Update from Texas Consensus Conference Panel on Medication Treatment of Childhood Major Depressive Disorder
- Hughes, CW, Emslie, GJ, Crismon, ML, et al. J. Amer. Acad. Child Adolesc Psychiatry June 2007 46(6) 667-686
- The Texas Children`s Medication Algorithm Project (CMAP): A Revision of the Algorithm for Medication Treatment of Childhood Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Pliszka SR, Crismon ML, Hughes CW, et al. Journal of the American Academy Child and Adolescent Psychiatry June 2006 45(6)
Honors & Awards
American Board of Professional Psychologists (2011)
- APA Fellow
Society of Clinical Psychology (2008)
- APA Fellow
Division of Psychopharmacology and Substance Abuse (2007)
- Phi Kappa Phi
- American Psychological Association
- Dallas Psychological Association
- Texas Psychological Association