Education: National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan; BS, Plant Pathology; National Yang-Ming Medical School, Taipei, Taiwan; MS, Microbiology and Immunology; University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, Wisconsin, PhD, Human Cancer Biology; University of Texas, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, Research Fellow.
Dr. Hsieh is currently a Professor and Director of Jean H. and John T. Walter, Jr., Center for Research in Urologic Oncology in the Department of Urology at UT Southwestern. Dr. Hsieh has many years experience in studying tumor biology and cancer progression of urogenital cancers, particularly, prostate, Kidney and bladder cancers. Currently, his research focuses on translational research with two main topics: one is to identify signal defects leading to androgen-independent prostate cancer progression and cancer metastases of bladder and kidney cancers; the other is to develop cancer-specific trageting nanomedicine with both imaging and therapeutic capbility. Dr. Hsieh has six nationally funded research grants on these subjects. He is collaborating with Urologists and Medical Oncologists for future clinical trials.
|Graduate School||National Yang-Ming Medical College|
|Graduate School||University of Wisconsin-Madison (1989)|
- experiemtnal therapy
- Prostate cancer stem cell
- Signal network defects in urologic cancers
- The mitochondrial genome encodes abundant small noncoding RNAs.
- Ro S, Ma HY, Park C, Ortogero N, Song R, Hennig GW, Zheng H, Lin YM, Moro L, Hsieh JT, Yan W Cell Res. 2013 Jun 23 6 759-74
- Prostate cancer-specific thermo-responsive polymer-coated iron oxide nanoparticles.
- Wadajkar AS, Menon JU, Tsai YS, Gore C, Dobin T, Gandee L, Kangasniemi K, Takahashi M, Manandhar B, Ahn JM, Hsieh JT, Nguyen KT Biomaterials 2013 May 34 14 3618-25
- Dendrimer nanoscaffolds for potential theranostics of prostate cancer with a focus on radiochemistry.
- Lo ST, Kumar A, Hsieh JT, Sun X Mol. Pharm. 2013 Mar 10 3 793-812
- Slug, a unique androgen-regulated transcription factor, coordinates androgen receptor to facilitate castration resistance in prostate cancer.
- Wu K, Gore C, Yang L, Fazli L, Gleave M, Pong RC, Xiao G, Zhang L, Yun EJ, Tseng SF, Kapur P, He D, Hsieh JT Mol. Endocrinol. 2012 Sep 26 9 1496-507
- A cell permeable peptide analog as a potential-specific PET imaging probe for prostate cancer detection.
- Hao G, Zhou J, Guo Y, Long MA, Anthony T, Stanfield J, Hsieh JT, Sun X Amino Acids 2011 Nov 41 5 1093-101
- Role of DAB2IP in modulating epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition and prostate cancer metastasis.
- Xie D, Gore C, Liu J, Pong RC, Mason R, Hao G, Long M, Kabbani W, Yu L, Zhang H, Chen H, Sun X, Boothman DA, Min W, Hsieh JT Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2010 Feb 107 6 2485-90
- DAB2IP coordinates both PI3K-Akt and ASK1 pathways for cell survival and apoptosis.
- Xie D, Gore C, Zhou J, Pong RC, Zhang H, Yu L, Vessella RL, Min W, Hsieh JT Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2009 Nov 106 47 19878-83
- The mechanism of DAB2IP in chemo-resistance of prostate cancer cells.
- Wu K, Xie D, Zou Y, Zhang T, Pong RC, Xiao G, Fazli L, Gleave ME, He D, Boothman DA, Hsieh JT Clin. Cancer Res. 2013 Jul
- Peptidomimetic targeting of critical androgen receptor-coregulator interactions in prostate cancer.
- Ravindranathan P, Lee TK, Yang L, Centenera MM, Butler L, Tilley WD, Hsieh JT, Ahn JM, Raj GV Nat Commun 2013 May 4 1923
- The role of DAB2IP in androgen receptor activation during prostate cancer progression.
- Wu K, Liu J, Tseng SF, Gore C, Ning Z, Sharifi N, Fazli L, Gleave M, Kapur P, Xiao G, Sun X, Oz OK, Min W, Alexandrakis G, Yang CR, Hsieh CL, Wu HC, He D, Xie D, Hsieh JT Oncogene 2013 Apr
The functional role of DAB2IP, a homeostatic factor, in prostate cancer. In Prostate Cancer: Biochemistry, Molecular Biology and Genetics
Yun, E., Wu, K., Tsai Y-S., Xie, D., Hsieh, J.T. (2013). New York, Springer
Anti-cancer strategy of transitional cell carcinoma of bladder based on induction of different types of programmed cell deaths. In Apoptosis in Carcinogenesis and Chemotherapy
Karam, J. A., Hsieh, J.T. (2009). New York, Springer
Epigenetics in prostate cancer. In Prostate Cancer: Mechanisms, Prevention, and Hormone Therapy
Karam J., Benaim, E., Chen, H., Pong, R.C., Hsieh, J.T. (2005). New York, World Scientific
Honors & Awards
- Visiting Professor
Xi'an Jiaotong University (2012)
- Dr. John McConnell Distinguished Chair in Prostate Cancer Research
- Visiting Professor
The Prostate Center at Vancouver General Hospital (2001)
- SBUR/Merck Young Investigator Award
- American Association for Cancer Research
- American Urological Association
- Phi Tau Phi Scholastic Honor Society
- Society of Basic Urologic Research
- Society of Chinese Bioscientists in America